• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SO... TABS WENT UP! About 100%

L
Dec 17, 2008
Does anyone know the details?
It says $50 of the fee goes to the "snowmobile account".
I am happy to pay more if it is for increased # of groomed days to access areas, keeping the whoops under control, but I fear that it will be to fund more enforcement of registration at the trailhead. This fear, given the history of government spending of similar programs. i.e.-aquatic invasive biologists patrolling local lakes (actually sitting (getting paid) at boat launches all day with very little boat traffic) And "discover pass" and "forest passes" which fund parking lot patrols for ticketing....
Opinions? Facts? Thanks.

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I don't have the break down of the numbers in front of me, but the largest portion of the increase (actually $10 last year, and another $10 this year) is supposed to be going directly onto the snow for grooming. The last increase in sled fees (for grooming) was nearly 15 years ago... with inflation - fuel, equipment, and payroll for the operator, coupled with the decline in registrations, an increase was necessary just to keep the program viable and functioning. Very little of the total fee goes to enforcement and management... It's actually one of the most efficient programs and if memory serves, about 90% of the increase is going directly to the groomers.

I HATE paying the government for anything more than I have to, but in this case I am happy to see the increase and look forward to more money in the grooming kitty, and as a result, more weeks per year of grooming as the groomers would usually run out of money before the season ended.

R

ripalip2

Jan 23, 2008
everett wa.
I don't mine paying more for grooming because i love this sport but if the grooming contract starts and there is no snow i would like to see those days added on the end of the contract , hope my comments are not out of place but having enough snow to ride in April and the trail like a snowcross track sucks

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
I don't mine paying more for grooming because i love this sport but if the grooming contract starts and there is no snow i would like to see those days added on the end of the contract , hope my comments are not out of place but having enough snow to ride in April and the trail like a snowcross track sucks

It's supposed to carry over but don't quote me on that...

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Any money in the grooming fund left after April 1st is automatically carried over to the next year, but we haven't had enough money for that to happen very often, it usually runs out in early March. If there is a case of a late heavy snowfall down low and a SIGNIFICANT amount of money left in the grooming fund for that particular area, the grooming can be extended through a decision from State Parks. This is rare, but has happened.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I would assume so... Of course with the crappy year we had, registrations were down significantly, so that will hurt us for this year since it's a 1-year lag.

Sneak A Peak

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2013
Washington State
What I have always wondered is why our state would allow us to buy collector plates for our cars and motorcycles that are over 25 years old, but not offer that option for snowmobiles, orvs, trailers, campers, boats, etc... I would really like to take my collector sleds up to the hut once or twice a year, but that would mean I have to buy another tab for those trips that are outside of private property. Or not have to buy two sets of tabs for a boat and trailer that is over 40 years old and has had tabs bought for them at least 30 of those years (the sticker stack is huge).

So instead I risk it(for the old sleds anyhow). But I don't think that is the suggested approach.

I am all for buying tabs for the vehicles, that is how we pay for our area to ride, I just think at some point you have paid enough for a particular vehicle to be legal for the rest of its existence. The state says that that # is 25 years for cars and motorcycles. With that said, it seems like it would be only fair to include every other vehicle or trailer that has to be tabbed as well.

Thoughts welcome!

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Unless they did away with it they have vintage tags for snowmobiles. I am not sure on the details or cost though. The frustrating thing for me is if the cost doubles does this mean we get nearly double the amount of grooming, I doubt it. Ahtanum is lucky to get groomed once a week as it is and that is sad because it is one of the prime riding areas in eastern washington. It just seems like they always have an excuse, my groomer broke or there is not enough snow down low, yada yada yada. The snow conditions down low are not likely to change for a very long time. It has been many many years since we have had significant snow down low. So hell why not pay double. It is typical state and government bull****, pay twice as much and get half for it. Sorry, rant over

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
I'll gladly pay extra for a sport that gives me access to areas that I would have never been able to see. Besides, "it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on." When they start shutting down those areas, I'm sure you would all be happy to pay extra to have that chance again, but it will be too late. Enjoy it while you can, worth the price, whatever it is.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The state did not increase the cost of tabs!!!

We the snowmobilers did!!!
WSSA asked and it was voted in.

Snowmobiling facts in Washington State

·********There are*over 36,000 snowmobiles registered*in Washington. Over 1/3 are registered in King, Snohomish and Pierce Counties.

·********The*economic impact*of snowmobiling is conservatively estimated to be*$70 to $90 million per year.

·********There are over*3,500 miles of groomed and marked trails. The majority of the trails are on public lands (National Forests, Bureau of Land Management, Washington DNR, State Parks).

·********Snowmobilers pay their way. The only funds available for administering the Snowmobile Program (through Washington State Parks and Recreation) come from registration fees and a portion of the state fuel tax, based on the amount of fuel used in snowmobiles. The group of people who make up the Snowmobile Advisory Committee is a very diverse group, including a County Commissioner, non-motorized recreationists (such as cross country skiers), the Department of Fish and Wildlife, the Department of Licensing and the Department of Natural Resources. When WSSA began the process of setting up the dedicated grooming funding through the State in the early 1980’s, they felt that it would be best to include representation from all facets of winter recreation to help keep each other informed and to work together as a team.

K
Dec 4, 2009
Malaga, WA
While that all sounds real good, you also have to remember that the state takes and administration fee out of the total. That fee is somewhere around 30%. It would be much more effective to pay it on our own instead of through the state process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the bad information. Somebody did a good job writing the RCW's on this. The State Treasurer's Department only takes 3% and then the State Parks Commission takes another 8-13% depending on which graph you are looking at.

FYI the State Treasure's department takes an 18% administration fee on normal vehicle registrations.

My 30% number was taken from personal experience working for companies that pay for state contracted services.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

Not sure about u but i don't work for free. I don't expect people to manage millions of dollars and over see the entire states snowmobiling system for free either.

uploadfromtaptalk1442726793551.jpg

Last edited:

FlyingW

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WA
While that all sounds real good, you also have to remember that the state takes and administration fee out of the total. That fee is somewhere around 30%. It would be much more effective to pay it on our own instead of through the state process.
According to the State Parks website the administration fee is 13%. The vintage snowmobile registration fee is $12. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.17.350

Summ8rmk and 94fordguy have good information. Since the economy has gotten tough as well as bad snow years the registrations have dropped significantly while costs have increased over the years. Snowmobilers have stepped up over the years to help cover shortages but they can only do so much therefore the fee increase a couple years ago. Now it is fully implemented over two years but this years registration money won't be available until next year.

state parks revenue pie.jpg

K
Dec 4, 2009
Malaga, WA
Sorry for the bad information. Somebody did a good job writing the RCW's on this. The State Treasurer's Department only takes 3% and then the State Parks Commission takes another 8-13% depending on which graph you are looking at.

FYI the State Treasure's department takes an 18% administration fee on normal vehicle registrations.

My 30% number was taken from personal experience working for companies that pay for state contracted services.

JETJOHNSO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
snowmobile registrations,

to all, if we still had ( its been many years ago ) 36,000 sleds registered we probably would not have had to raise reg fees. 2 years ago we were down to about 28,000 and last season about 23 or 24,000 regs state wide, thats a huge drop in money for our snowmobile budget, With rising cost for every thing, we had no choice but to raise reg fee's, Even at 50 to 60 per year its a "bargin" for what we get, It cost a lot of money to run the state wide program, Some people dont realize that our snowmobile reg money pays for , snow plowing the snoparks, sanicans, land use permits, trail maintance, signs , ect ect ect, Its more than just grooming !!

Premium Features