• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil cap leaking?

M

maxitout77

Nov 21, 2010
Vermont
I've read a few posts about leaky oil caps. After some tip overs and boondocking my side panels and belley pan are covered in oil. Is there a fix for the cap? Is it the caps seal to the tank, or the breather hole in the cap thats leaking?

BTW, Love the new RMK, best sled I've ever owned.

A
Jan 8, 2011
Alberta
Could be a cross thread or out of round tank. Mine did the same thing while i was out riding so i did 3 wraps of black electrical tape and it has lasted a month so far so I do not want to touch it now that it is not leaking. I have also heard of the tank insert rings that might help.

S

srosscojw

Nov 26, 2007
Kelowna BC
www.signcraft.ca
Could be a cross thread or out of round tank. Mine did the same thing while i was out riding so i did 3 wraps of black electrical tape and it has lasted a month so far so I do not want to touch it now that it is not leaking. I have also heard of the tank insert rings that might help.

My dealer has a tank on order for mine. Where do you get the insert rings? Tanks are on backorder... what a surprize

T
Feb 22, 2010
Colfax, Wa
Insert rings

srosscojw, This info is from my notes of last year, hope it helps.

[ OIL TANK INSERTS>
ALUMINUM INSERTS WILL FIT SKI-DOO, ARCTIC CAT, AND POLARIS
(CONTACT ME FOR ARCTIC CAT AND POLARIS MODEL FITMENT) ...
THIS PART WILL RESHAPE THE OIL RESERVOIR OPENING BACK TO ROUND TO HELP STOP LEAKS ...

DESIGNED TO FIT OEM OIL CAPS AND RESERVOIRS

TYPE #1 -- fitment 2008/current XP chassis
TYPE #2 -- fitment 2003-2007 REV chassis
TYPE #3 -- any 2003/older SKIDOO (ZX, CK, and S chassis) and most ARCTIC CAT and POLARIS

models

$15.00 each US FUNDS ( shipping included ) shipped anywhere in NORTH AMERICA

please add 5% ($.75 per part) to the total if using PAYPAL
my PAYPAL address is DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM

send cashiers check, personal check, or money order to:
DAN PARCEL
609 N. WOOSTER ST.
ALGONA, IA 50511

please let me know your full name, shipping address, and sled(s) year/model with payment

... all orders are shipped USPS MAIL within 24 hrs. of received payment .. any questions

??? > email DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM ..]

boondocker rick

Premium Member
Aug 30, 2010
eagle river WI
same thing just started happening to me, leaking oil. And I am very carfull every time with any oil cap. I found an out of round oil tank also. Thanks for the help with the insert I will give it a try [my dealer has not been very helpfull with other problems] I feel I am on my own with every little thing! all in all a good sled.

M

maxitout77

Nov 21, 2010
Vermont
Not happy to hear this. My REV pee's oil like crazy, even with the insert in place. I was really hoping a new sled would not have this issue.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
If you watch close when tightening the oil cap, it will reach the seat and gasket with reasonable tightening force. Then, when you want to really get it tight, it will cross thread itself and open up a leak path. I just back off the cap and get it snug and leave it. 800 miles on one sled and 1000 miles on theother and no leaky right side up or upside down.

Last edited:
G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
If you watch close when tightening the oil cap, it will reach the seat and gasket with reasonable tightening force. Then, when you want to really get it tight, it will cross thread itself and open up a leak path. I just back off the cap and get it snug and leave it. 800 miles on one sled and 1000 miles on theother and no leaky right side up or upside down.

Yup, I've learned that the hard way with plumbing. Extra tight is not always better.

longgold

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2010
Whistler BC.
arghhhhhh....add me to the list!

Torn the heck out of my rotator cuff too, as I got oil all over my belt and clutches and the sled stopped dead in its tracks!

havent looked yet, but I assume its the threads on the reservoir that go and not the cap (of course it will be the reservoir!?!) as it is softer plastic...

any quick fixes out there? not that I am going to be ride for a while now...shoulder is pooched

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Sounds like just another Doo characteristic for the Pro :face-icon-small-ton
What's next?...bending tunnels, clutch and motor mount problems?...oh, wait :face-icon-small-con

:cheer2:

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
hey guys .. MOUNTAINHORSE (super moderator) on here told me to chime in on this topic .. i make these oil tank sleeves .. here is my info .. attached a picture of the TYPE #3 sleeve i make that will fit Arctic Cat and Polaris oil caps .. sleeve is a snug fit in reservoir .. i provide an o-ring for a tight seal between reservoir and sleeve flange .. any questions drop me a message or email at DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM .. i have many sleeves in stock ready to go .. ..
=============
$15.00 each US FUNDS shipped anywhere in NORTH AMERICA
(USPS PARCEL POSTAGE INCLUDED)

send cashiers check, personal check, or money order to:
DAN PARCEL
609 N. WOOSTER ST.
ALGONA, IA 50511

please add 5% ($.75 per part) to the total if using PAYPAL
my PAYPAL address is DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM

please let me know your full name, shipping address, and sled(s) year/model with payment .... orders are shipped within 24 hrs. of received payment ..

*** NEED EM FAST ?? *** ..
USPS PRIORITY MAIL FOR ADDITIONAL CHARGE ..
( maximum 10ct. order )
$5.20 -- USPS PRIORITY MAIL in USA
$11.95 -- USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL to CANADA
$13.95 -- USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL anywhere overseas

THANK YOU .. DAN03REV

TYPE 3 INSERT.jpg

Last edited:
D
Mar 4, 2009
My brand new switchback assault came with a stripped oil tank .I bought one of these from Dan and it worked great. Thanks Dan

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
mine finally started leaking this weekend, i think i cross threaded the cap :face-icon-small-fro

how is everyone cleaning up the mess of oil?

I took the hood, side panel, belt, secondary all off and sprayed some purple power on the plastics and bulkhead, then rinsed it out with a garden hose and tried not to make a mess.

think its a bad idea to spray some purple power on the clutch and clean it up too?

I know lots of people will say not to but if the clutch got rinsed off well it should be good to go? thoughts?

Premium Features