• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Axys Clutching

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
Ran a few road miles this week. Was able to get in some decent snow in a few areas to put a good load on the track. Have Polaris almond spring in drive with SSI weights, 3 first two holes, 4 in tip. Scaled out at 75.7g. Team 160/260 in driven with stock helix.

At 8500-9000 ft with 7lb spring kept hitting rev limiter and threw det code once.

Swapped out to 5lb Spring, still hitting rev limiter.

One of the magnets out of the SSI weights broke when installing on table so until I can get a replacement the max I'll be able to go up to is right around 77g.

This is also with a 156" 3.0 pitch 280...

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Ran a few road miles this week. Was able to get in some decent snow in a few areas to put a good load on the track. Have Polaris almond spring in drive with SSI weights, 3 first two holes, 4 in tip. Scaled out at 75.7g. Team 160/260 in driven with stock helix.

At 8500-9000 ft with 7lb spring kept hitting rev limiter and threw det code once.

One of the magnets out of the SSI weights broke when installing on table so until I can get a replacement the max I'll be able to go up to is right around 77g.

You sure your belt isn't slipping causing you to hit the rev limiter? How hot are your clutches? Any belt glazing?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO

You have the chaincase or belt drive model?

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
You sure your belt isn't slipping causing you to hit the rev limiter? How hot are your clutches? Any belt glazing?

Clutches were cool...belt has a few hundred miles on it but looks good, I have a new one I will throw on next time. I had my clutches out when changing springs/weights and cleaned up real good and scrubbed the old bet down, don't think it's that but certainly could be.

I have a good clutch kit for our elevation P/M me for details

I'd be interested...let me know.

You have the chaincase or belt drive model?

Stock quick drive.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Got to get a few miles on. Running the almond pro, black sec that came in the kit with the stock 40' helix. I've got 82 grams in it and it will hit limiter in about 200 ft in 2' fresh at a slight incline. Fuel is 70/30-----110/93 octane. I've changed the plugs cause it has a sputter on the bottom end when you first hit the throttle with no change. Is not responsive like this. Pretty sluggish till it gets moving. My 15 Doo has better throttle response. Pidd says 20 hrs engine run time. It is a 174-3'' with belt drive conversion. Avid anti ratchets with anti stab kit. I'm thinking of trying a steeper helix since I already have weight on the backside of the weights. No tungsten weight in the kit I received. Could loading the turbo a little more help? First turbo and Polaris sled.
7# spring
4500 ft elevation.
Clutch engages about 4000 nice and smooth.

Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Try putting in some new plugs gapped to .020 or even just under. You may be blowing your spark out.

562xp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2012
Did you try the 5 pound spring? Run mine this weekend a 6K. 76 grams, almond spring in primary and the kit set up in the secondary. Pulled 8300 at 5 psi switched to 7 psi and was bouncing off the rev limiter in 2-3 ft of powder.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Got to get a few miles on. Running the almond pro, black sec that came in the kit with the stock 40' helix. I've got 82 grams in it and it will hit limiter in about 200 ft in 2' fresh at a slight incline. Fuel is 70/30-----110/93 octane. I've changed the plugs cause it has a sputter on the bottom end when you first hit the throttle with no change. Is not responsive like this. Pretty sluggish till it gets moving. My 15 Doo has better throttle response. Pidd says 20 hrs engine run time. It is a 174-3'' with belt drive conversion. Avid anti ratchets with anti stab kit. I'm thinking of trying a steeper helix since I already have weight on the backside of the weights. No tungsten weight in the kit I received. Could loading the turbo a little more help? First turbo and Polaris sled.
7# spring
4500 ft elevation.
Clutch engages about 4000 nice and smooth.

1) Its a turbo sled. You have to remember, you are spinning a lot more weight and far more aggressive clutching on the bottom end so of *course* you won't get the same linear throttle response you had on your NA sleds. This has always been the "turbo problem" though its improved significantly in recent years (ride a turbo from 2010...HOLEEE MOLY).

Just remember, at 4500-5500 RPM there is next to no boost but you are spinning 20-30% more aggressive clutching. At a stand still, this can be semi annoying, once riding it has never bothered me.

You do need to adapt your riding style for a turbo. You'll get a feel for it. Start to realize how it builds boost.

2) That sputter can happen. More of a hesitation right? Blip the throttle smoothly a few times before taking off. It helps. Once riding, be very aggressive with the throttle. It likes that.

3) I'd also argue you should up your octane and switch to AV gas as this is where all the testing was done. You can find octane suggestions here. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0775/7767/files/Silber_Axys_Turbo_Kit.pdf?2227937199758030551

Though I don't think you'll notice an improvement in performance, it is a good idea still as again, I believe your are under octane.

4) I'm running a 100% different clutch setup. Everyone likes something different and rides differently. I'm throwing a whole lot less weight than most and have a much more aggressive secondary setup. It seems to work. A regressive cut helix may also help.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
Xpspenziv
I think you may be a little aggressive with your octane. I haven't gotten out yet with my 17 axys but my 16 axys didn't like too much octane. I ran the 7 psi spring at 8000' with 2 gallons of av gas to a tank. When I tried a stronger mix close to 70% av to 30% 91 octane I got some poor bottom end response and stuttering. I would try a little less octane. At 2000' I ran the 3 psi spring with the same 2 gallons of av to a tank. If I were you I would try less octane and the 5 psi spring at 4000'.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Xpspenziv
I think you may be a little aggressive with your octane. I haven't gotten out yet with my 17 axys but my 16 axys didn't like too much octane. I ran the 7 psi spring at 8000' with 2 gallons of av gas to a tank. When I tried a stronger mix close to 70% av to 30% 91 octane I got some poor bottom end response and stuttering. I would try a little less octane. At 2000' I ran the 3 psi spring with the same 2 gallons of av to a tank. If I were you I would try less octane and the 5 psi spring at 4000'.

Your point is worth mentioning but I would *NOT* do this. There is no doubt higher octane can create a bit of a boggy bottom end, but the protection higher octane can give the motor is well worth it.

According to Silber, 2 gallons of av at that elevation with 7psi is not sufficient to protect the motor from grenading.

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
Got back out today. Changed to venom weights. 65g base with 4g, 4g, 1.3g for 74.3g. 9000 ft with 5 lb Spring. Jumps to 8550 and sits there.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So you switched to the venom weights? Did you not get more magnets for the ssi weights? How do you like the conquer 2.8 track?

I run ssi with 3 mags in each hole. 40 helix. Swapped out the team beehive almond for a speedwerx 140 335 primary. Much better engagement at 3900-4000 rpm. Doesnt hit so hard and high rpm to cause trenching. I have a 3" 153 powerclaw and chaincase. Stock gearing. Pulling 8300rpm at 10k in deep pow

562xp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2012
Anyone tried a different helix that would take 4 to 6 grams of weight out of the primary? Looking at trying a 48 44 .33 .

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
So riding at 1500' found this to be the best setup on a 17 AXYS 800 155"x2.6" quick drive; 86 grams of the venom weights (you have to request the tungsten for the lower elevation guys to get that high in weight), the almond/ black spring setup that comes with the kit, and a 42-44P Helix from SSI is what I have. I should add this setup is only tested on 5# of boost. AKFULLLTHROTTLE is trying to dial in for the 163"x3" chain case on 7# of boost.

He has another customer running 3# of boost but I can't remember what the clutching setup is on that. It's a 163"X3" chain case sled too and it rips. Hopefully he will chime in but the clutching should be similar to mine with a little less weight I believe.

I was initially having issues with that snappy throttle feeling but after gapping the plugs to .020 my bottom end came to life again.
Clutch engagement for me is 3900 and highest RPM I've pulled is 8500 in decent snow conditions now. Only saw that high once all weekend.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
The 163 3 on 3# was running the 42/44 helix, 83 grams running spot on from 1500'-2500'.

Almond Primary
Black/Silver Secondary
83 grams Venom
3#

800xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Supposed to get my kit tomorrow from Silber. Spoke to Justin today to ask about which weights he sent to me. I assumed they would be SSI weights...he said they were not. He said they will still have magnets and look similar to SSI but the ones he sent me are his own weights that they are having made for them. I asked if they were made by SSI and he said NO. I did not dig any further into it.

Anyone else hear about this? I was taken by surprise as this is the first I had heard about this. I mainly ask because I see others on here who have had issues with the bushings on SSI weights wearing out quickly. A little concerned as to what to expect with these weights...

Premium Features