• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I FINALLY made it to the Party!!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Seth.... that is one sweet sled... Lots and lots of time and effort went into that one and I know you will be putting it all to good use...

Now all you have to do is wait for the good snow... don't get tempted to rock-ride in November with that beaut!!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Seth.... that is one sweet sled... Lots and lots of time and effort went into that one and I know you will be putting it all to good use...

Now all you have to do is wait for the good snow... don't get tempted to rock-ride in November with that beaut!!

Thanks Eric,

Ya, the trusty old 900 will be the low-snow, rock bashing sled... 5400 miles and still counting on that one! I am looking forward to riding the Pro though in good snow, it's going to be anything but a garage queen!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Well I made the first real change to the new sled today, I added a tail light to it! With the amount of times we head back to the truck in the dark, I wanted there to be no confusion about when I was stopping or where the back of my sled will be. With the kicked up rear bumper on the Vanamburg tunnel, a regularly mounted light would be difficult to see and I don't like the look of the plain little LED strips, so a friend of mine came up with a pretty clever solution. I used a stock Pro taillight, tunnel cover, and wiring harness and we went from there. After some discussion, my friend being a parts designer had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to do and spent some time on his computer and the end result left me with this! The light is now spaced up about 1 inch above the tunnel.
857b9bc08e9c857cf85942b167b4f626.jpg
340c9b8efe4e47f1598a882e57f5a63c.jpg
e4db5dc7188f001e1c97f3215a0cb929.jpg
1390c623970b841a17389ab8f3875567.jpg
6a329864f28c6da2a817366c74bc4ebf.jpg
b931a411a368cf038d458a4909836c45.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Who's belt drive is that?

It's got an Avid Extended chaincase for the 1" drop and roll to fit the 8 tooth 3" drivers and enough room to upgrade to a 3" track if anyone ever wanted to, it's currently got a 2.6 under it with lots of room to spare. I honestly can't recall where the belt drive setup came from... I do remember that he said it has been geared down.....

Sorry, not much help there, but that is a question I will ask next time I talk to him and I will try to report back.

Sorry for the delay in getting an answer to this question, but I did get a chance to talk to Mike Vanamburg again today and made a point of asking about the tensioner. The tensioner is his own personal design... at the time he did this build, there weren't any other options from the aftermarket so he came up with this so that he could gear down and use a different belt. There have since been several options introduced from various manufacturers, so I do not know whether or not he is interested in building more of them... I didn't ask that, lol. If any of you are interested, I would highly recommend calling their shop here in Yakima.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Nice looking machine!

So let me know when you want to run it up against your old 900 and i will ride your old sled so you can see them head to head. Always fun to see how the old and new stack up....of course we wont be killing it in the tight trees to keep it fair:face-icon-small-hap

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Well with the Pro being roughly 100 lbs lighter, roughly the same power, and having a substantially better track, I don't think it will be too much of a competition... Lol!!! I do enjoy riding the old P.O.S. 900 though... there's just something about the way that it makes it's power that I like... and it does keep up with the new iron surprisingly well actually. It's a tank, but it's not a slouch!

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
The two things I think you will notice the most after riding the pro and then going back to the 900 are how heavy it is,how much effort it takes to ride and how bad it trenches compared to the pro. The pro will get up on the snow so much quicker especially at low speeds in the trees where the 900 will want to trench. That is one sweet ride, I would love to hook up with you guys for a couple rides this year. About 4 of my riding buddies have quit riding and I am looking for new people to ride with. Congrats again on the new ride, Mike builds some nice stuff.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Added a little bling to make it match the 900!!!!!
66aba3cf0c8611ed3e741f4d8dabb85c.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
The two things I think you will notice the most after riding the pro and then going back to the 900 are how heavy it is,how much effort it takes to ride and how bad it trenches compared to the pro. The pro will get up on the snow so much quicker especially at low speeds in the trees where the 900 will want to trench. That is one sweet ride, I would love to hook up with you guys for a couple rides this year. About 4 of my riding buddies have quit riding and I am looking for new people to ride with. Congrats again on the new ride, Mike builds some nice stuff.

Stay in touch this winter, we will have to get together again for a ride.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
First Ride Impressions!

Well I got the Pro out on the snow for the first time today and it's safe to say I am very happy with it! This sled handles REALLY nice... Effortless to sidehill, light and easy to toss around, and the upgrades in the suspension give this thing the best ride quality of any sled I have ever stepped onto in my life - Jumping drifts and pounding the ruts from the jeeps and SXS's was a complete pleasure:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap! The snow was thin and the base is just barely starting to develop so we had to be very careful where we rode, but it was a total blast... I am eagerly awaiting the next big dump of snow to really get things going!

101_0281.jpg

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I thought I would post an update with my experiences and impressions now that I have about 350 miles of riding time on my new to me sled. This thing is seriously a pleasure to ride, the handling is so light and agile that I am already taking this thing into places that I don't feel comfortable taking my 900 after 7 seasons on it, this is truly a confidence inspiring machine! I've had to play around with the weights a little bit to get it to pull full RPM on a deep climb, but after a couple different adjustments, I've got it where I'm pretty happy with it. I will say in the chase of finding the proper RPM, this engine's powerband is much less forgiving than my 900, I do miss the torque that motor made, but that's pretty much the only thing I miss. I think it's safe to say that I've finally found a sled to 'replace' the 900 with. It did feel rather akward getting back on the 900 again for a short time last weekend when I had to loan it to a friend for the day after an unfortunate tree incident with the A-arms on his Cat. I decided to go ahead and turn up the oil pump since it wasn't burning much oil and did the recommended 3 turns... after checking it for 5 DEEEEEEP, bottomless, WOT rides, I am averaging 31:1.

Not having ridden a stock pro since they came out in 2011, it's hard to say how a stocker would handle in comparison, but I can say that I am in love with this machine... The way it lifts the nose and climbs on top of the snow is incredible. The pro has taken every aspect I loved about the 900 and improved on it. I am also loving the suspension under this sled... it simply rides better than any sled I have ever been around. I'm looking forward to what the rest of this season has to offer!

Here's a couple vids from the beautiful rides this weekend, and a couple vids from some stupid deep snow 3 weeks ago!

Premium Features