• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'14 800 Pro wont idle

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I thought the reeds have not been checked? This should be #1.
I'm Also not seeing that the tps has been set with a high quality voltage meter. This should be #2.

With these eliminated then you can move into everything else that has been suggested.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
First of all I want to say that this is not your fault that it isn't running right and you have had to take it back so many times. It shouldn't be up to you to offer solutions to the authorized Polaris dealer on how to fix it either. Take it to another dealer as suggested by Polaris and others on here.

When you picked it up the last time did they say it was good to go or did you just grab it? It kind of sounds like he wasn't done working on it to me. Has the ECU been changed out yet?

If they fix it at the other dealer trade it and join your buddies on Doo. Sounds like you have a great sledding area if you're still able to ride at this time of year.

C
Dec 24, 2014
I thought the reeds have not been checked? This should be #1.
I'm Also not seeing that the tps has been set with a high quality voltage meter. This should be #2.

With these eliminated then you can move into everything else that has been suggested.

The reeds were supposed to have been checked last week... Maybe they will actually follow through with that project this week.

Original tps was re-set. New tps has been installed and set at the dealer. I do not get to pick their tools though.

C
Dec 24, 2014
First of all I want to say that this is not your fault that it isn't running right and you have had to take it back so many times. It shouldn't be up to you to offer solutions to the authorized Polaris dealer on how to fix it either. Take it to another dealer as suggested by Polaris and others on here.

I had to take it back again because there is no exhaust temp sensor installed. They are supposed to check the reeds this week too.

When you picked it up the last time did they say it was good to go or did you just grab it? It kind of sounds like he wasn't done working on it to me. Has the ECU been changed out yet?

I picked up at 5pm o a Friday after being told it was ready to go earlier in the day. I asked about it this morning when I dropped it off. He swears he installed it and zip tied it off. What I found was the wiring bundle above the primary wide open and no sensor in the pipe. It had not been finished, you are right about that... The ecu has not been changed out that I am aware of.

If they fix it at the other dealer trade it and join your buddies on Doo. Sounds like you have a great sledding area if you're still able to ride at this time of year.

I would have to re-learn how to ride. The Doo is the most un-natural riding sled I have ever been on. I tried the Cat too, nice but, heavy. I would really like a new Axys but this isn't very inspiring.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Like I said above find a new dealer. How could any competent mechanic forget the exhaust sensor, that tells me they did not run it. Any mechanic with any brains at all would here a massive exhaust leak. I guess you can't help those who can't help themselves. Peace out

C
Dec 24, 2014
Like I said above find a new dealer. How could any competent mechanic forget the exhaust sensor, that tells me they did not run it. Any mechanic with any brains at all would here a massive exhaust leak. I guess you can't help those who can't help themselves. Peace out

Oh I can find a new dealer but are you offering to buy the gas to get back and forth? Polaris isn't either... How about missed work to make 3-4 hour trip to drop it off and pick it up during business hours? I think it is great that you live in a city where there are multiple dealerships to choose from, I do not and, it definitely changes the dynamic.

I completely agree about "forgetting" to install the sensor, not much excuse for that kind of work. I had to take it back there to get the sensor installed, and they will check the reeds. If it comes back wrong this time, it is the last time.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Dealer called today, told me there was a slightly damaged reed petal. They have ordered and will be installing new reeds and cages on both sides. Parts will be in next week.

Tech said he would be surprised if the minor damage is the cause.

I will have to ask about the ecu. It still seems like an electrical issue the way it goes from running right to running bad.

C
Dec 24, 2014
All new reeds and cages. No change in the poor idle condition. This dealer has given up. I will be discussing with Polaris next week.

N

northstarrick

Feb 4, 2012
these are the things to have your new dealer do first. compression and a leak down test. you can have good compression but have a ring sealing issue? this cause's poor idling and erratic peak rpm's.

tps has to be set right. meaning the base voltage with the throttle cable unhooked, idle screw backed out, and the throttle plates fully closed, has to be .700 vdc. if not the tps sensor has to be moved to obtain this. then the idle screw turned in to reach your idle spec voltage for your sled. then a slow sweep check both throttle wo and back to idle position. a couple of times.

throttle lever free play of .015-.030 or the thickness of a credit card has to be set.

throttle safety switch should be replaced or tested.

pull the recoil. the air gap at the crank position sensor and the trigger coil has to be checked. .020 air gap. this being off the sled will die going into reverse and cause erratic idle.

wiring above the throttle body's , and al connectors there and at the ecu etc. should be inspected closely if non of the above changes any thing?

stator out put needs to be checked. the d-wrench won't tell you the stator is bad. key codes are low voltage to the fuel injectors, low battery voltage, etc.

if this all checks out then replace the injectors. all of this if the reeds are for sure new.

a bad ex. temp sensor does not cause erratic idling. a bad water temp sensor does not cause erratic idling, a bad t-map sensor could? but not usually.

good luck. I love problems like this. never been beat yet. there is something wrong? it takes a relentless checking of everthing systematically.

C
Dec 24, 2014
these are the things to have your new dealer do first. compression and a leak down test. you can have good compression but have a ring sealing issue? this cause's poor idling and erratic peak rpm's.

tps has to be set right. meaning the base voltage with the throttle cable unhooked, idle screw backed out, and the throttle plates fully closed, has to be .700 vdc. if not the tps sensor has to be moved to obtain this. then the idle screw turned in to reach your idle spec voltage for your sled. then a slow sweep check both throttle wo and back to idle position. a couple of times.

throttle lever free play of .015-.030 or the thickness of a credit card has to be set.

throttle safety switch should be replaced or tested.

pull the recoil. the air gap at the crank position sensor and the trigger coil has to be checked. .020 air gap. this being off the sled will die going into reverse and cause erratic idle.

wiring above the throttle body's , and al connectors there and at the ecu etc. should be inspected closely if non of the above changes any thing?

stator out put needs to be checked. the d-wrench won't tell you the stator is bad. key codes are low voltage to the fuel injectors, low battery voltage, etc.

if this all checks out then replace the injectors. all of this if the reeds are for sure new.

a bad ex. temp sensor does not cause erratic idling. a bad water temp sensor does not cause erratic idling, a bad t-map sensor could? but not usually.

good luck. I love problems like this. never been beat yet. there is something wrong? it takes a relentless checking of everthing systematically.

Crank position sensor is the only thing I see that hasn't been done that I know of.

I would love to drop it off with a Polaris tech that has your attitude. The tech at my dealer has quit and moved to Kansas. Not sure who they will have but after 10+ visits for the same problem, I have to look for a new shop to work on this sled. Actually, I am going to push Polaris customer service to find me a shop that has reviewed the case and is willing to give it a shot. I do not need a repeat of 10 visits.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Ok

10 trips to the same dealer?

No fixy

I would've bailed on em after 3
Some are better than others, we all know that....

The other dealer is too far?

Is it really worth that much frustration?
I guess I can't say.....

Hope u get it figured out, nothing worse than those little gremlins, I can't stand em either......

C
Dec 24, 2014
Wasn't super inconvenient, drop it off Monday on my way into work, pick it up Friday at lunch, ride the weekend, repeat. It was the dealer I bought it from, and by far he closest to home at 30 mins away. Next choices are all about 1.5 hrs each way and it is hard to know who to chose.

I would welcome input on Weekender in Hotchkiss CO or the Poo dealer in Grand Junction, I forget the name. Those are the next two closest dealers. There is Norwood but no way that guy is touching my sled... I suppose Durango is only 1.5 hrs, more mtns but what the heck.

It is getting to be a bigger hassle because work is busy in the summer. I would have to take time off to get to any of these places during their hours.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Still not fixed. English Bothers Polaris in Montrose Colorado has washed their hands of it, can't fix it.

Called Polaris on the phone, got the run around, and lies. Got mad, chewed supervisor *** till they hung up. 3-5 days to get a response from your caseworker... File says she spoke to me 6/5 and the case was closed. I have never spoken to this person and the sled has not been fixed... last attempt to fix was post 6/5, Polaris approved reeds. Funny how their files read...

I am so tired of hearing how sorry they are...

C
Dec 24, 2014
So now I am going on visit number 14 and it is at a third dealer. Dealer #2 in Hotchkiss replaced the clutch rollers and tried to convince me that is what was dragging the idle down. They obviously didn't spend any time really trying to diagnose it. I picked it up and off to Durango....

I hope NONE of you have to go through a real issue with Polaris industries because they suck. All I get is run around and empty apologies from them. They obviously are not willing to pay to properly diagnose the sled. They have not offered ANY help at all, just try another dealer. Well, the last two require a day off work because it is a 4 hour round trip by the time you get unloaded and spend some time explaining the problem.

I love how these sleds ride but I am at the end of my rope with these clowns not wanting to take responsibility for the broken machine they sold me. Still waiting my 3-5 days to hear back from my case owner... what a freaking JOKE!

I am probably going to need a lawyer and I almost certainly will never buy another Polaris again. I really want a new Axys but if this is the highest level of service and support I can get... I am having trouble justifying it.

R
The other Polaris dealer in Grand Junction is Grand Valley Powersports. They have a couple good techs over there. They both run turbod sleds and know the in and outs of them really well. Let us know what they come up with.:present:

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
First think I'd do is send the dealer that sold it and worked on it( I assume this is English Brothers?) a letter stating that you intend to sue them in small claims court.

If they don't offer you something worthwhile from that then file the max amount in Small Claims, guessing that's $5k.

Doesn't cost much to get their attention, typically this will move things ahead at a faster pace.

C
Dec 24, 2014
First think I'd do is send the dealer that sold it and worked on it( I assume this is English Brothers?) a letter stating that you intend to sue them in small claims court.

If they don't offer you something worthwhile from that then file the max amount in Small Claims, guessing that's $5k.

Doesn't cost much to get their attention, typically this will move things ahead at a faster pace.

Sue them for what, being incompetent? Not sure I can prove that these days with everyone having such low standards for service.

I do not think the dealers are entirely to blame anyway. How can you expect them to spend time on their dime when things are tight to start with? They didn't build the flaw into the machine Polaris Industries did. Now Polaris wants to run this around to no end, without resolution.

Bottom line for me is that it is EASY to cause the failure if you take a hour to run it. Warm it all the way up and then shut it off, let it sit for 20-30 minutes and wala! Crappy idle.

I should have spent more time before leaving Weekender in Hotchkiss but I had some other pressing tasks for the day. I was also not happy with being told clutch rollers were he problem. Happy to have a rebuilt clutch for free but seriously? That repair, like the last dozen did nothing to fix the problem. They said everything else checks out...lol

My fight is going to be with Polaris directly, and will be coming to a head very soon.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Just making a suggestion, suing Polaris will be difficult but could be interesting. Sue local dealer for loss of value.....good luck.

C
Dec 24, 2014
The saga continues. Yesterday I dropped the sled off at the 3rd dealer for repair attempt #15. This will be attempt number 2 for this dealer.

I told the service guy I didn't want it back, he laughed, I told him I wasn't kidding. I have had to take a half dozen days off work and drive over 1000 miles over the last four or five months to try and work with Polaris to get this sled running right, I am over it.

One last "good faith" negotiation will occur this week with Polaris "customer service" dept. If that fails, the owner of this third dealer said he would try to go to bat for me using his resources. Failing that I will have my lawyer start writing letters to Polaris...

I am going to ask for a fair trade value my '14 substantial discount on a '16. We shall see how that goes. I must be INSANE to consider staying with them but with a broken sled I can not sell, my options are limited.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
did they ever do a compression/leakdown check? had a buddy that his pro ran like crap at idle and wouldnt go into reverse, low compression, pistons were beat. put a fix kit in and it ran fine after.

Premium Features