• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adding an extra heat exchanger to a Pro RMK

M
Dec 6, 2007
Here are some pics of the installation of an extra heat exchanger in a pro rmk. This will help when the snow conditions are less then ideal. It is plumbed into the stock locations where the original cooling system on the regular rmk was plumbed.

IMG_0713.jpg IMG_0718.jpg IMG_0724.jpg IMG_0725.jpg IMG_0726.jpg IMG_0727.jpg

Last edited:

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
That i would be interested in buying! Like the idea of no welding.

Price and place to buy?

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Riding on trails eith my previous pro rmk i reached 90 celsius easy if i wasnt paying attention. My assault with it's track and the turbo will not help. Thats why im interested in this.

M
Jan 19, 2008
I didn't think about the turbo guys. I was paranoid the first year but with scratchers I think I hit 190 F a couple times (88 C) on some real marginal snow trails.

M
Dec 6, 2007
Looks nice!

What was the total cost?
How much weight gain?

I weighed the cooler, fittings, and the hose before installation and it came to 5 pounds. I was considering selling this cooler either alone or as a kit if there is enough interest. I don't know what the cost would be for the kit yet.

M
Dec 6, 2007
I'm curious why you need an extra cooler? I have riden on trails for 15 to 20 miles with so little snow you couldn't get off the trail and had zero problems with scratchers. Also heat is this motors friend, it will shut down by itself if it gets too hot long before the heat can cause damage.

I have rode with a few pro's and have talked to many people who own the pro's and they have all had issues with heat at some point in the season last year. How do you figure "heat is this motors friend"? Just a question and I'm not trying to be an a$$, I just want to know why you say this.

Thanks,

M
Dec 6, 2007
We use PowerAddictions u-cooler that fits were it works!!!

Welding required but thats no biggie...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151177491468271.454110.265075223270&type=1

I looked into all of these (welding and cutting) required coolers and I didn't like a few things about them.

-First thing is they cut into the factory cooler which is part of the rear structure for the tunnel. Once the factory cooler is cut is the tunnel structurally compromised?

-Second thing is they are plumbed in series with the stock coolers. What is the flow rate of this cooler compared to the factory one? Does it restrict flow as comprared to the factory one?

-Third thing, the extra weight of the cooler is added to rear of the sled as compared to my cooler which is centeralized better IMHO.

-Forth is ease of installation. Anyone with mechanical ability can install my cooler (no welding required) or down time from taking it into the shop and hoping the guy who is welding on the factory cooler is competent at TIG welding aluminum, not to mention the cost of this labor.

-Fifth it is plumbed into the factory location in parallel with the existing cooler. This is the way the engineers designed it from the factory and it operates in parallel with the stock cooler.

I'm not saying that these other coolers don't work, I'm sure they do but I just didn't like the things as stated above. I'm pretty anal with regards to things and deal with heat exchangers, intercoolers ect on a daily basis with my profession and these are the things that I personally didn't like about the welded rear coolers.

Thank You,

Shaun

M
Dec 6, 2007
If I have enough interest in these coolers I will get more fabricated and will sell it as a kit. PM me if you are interested and I will get back you as soon as I can. I am still in the process of working out a price. I see most of the welded coolers are around $400.00 dollars and then there is the cost associated with cutting and welding on the factory cooler.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
I didn't think about the turbo guys. I was paranoid the first year but with scratchers I think I hit 190 F a couple times (88 C) on some real marginal snow trails.

Well my forst season on my pro rmk 163 it was stock, no turbo. And still too bad cooling with just the ice scratchers.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
If I have enough interest in these coolers I will get more fabricated and will sell it as a kit. PM me if you are interested and I will get back you as soon as I can. I am still in the process of working out a price. I see most of the welded coolers are around $400.00 dollars and then there is the cost associated with cutting and welding on the factory cooler.

I need one quick. Send me a price and delivery time on a kit.

Thanks

IQ?

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Vilhelmina,Sweden
www.facebook.com
I looked into all of these (welding and cutting) required coolers and I didn't like a few things about them.

-First thing is they cut into the factory cooler which is part of the rear structure for the tunnel. Once the factory cooler is cut is the tunnel structurally compromised?

-Second thing is they are plumbed in series with the stock coolers. What is the flow rate of this cooler compared to the factory one? Does it restrict flow as comprared to the factory one?

-Third thing, the extra weight of the cooler is added to rear of the sled as compared to my cooler which is centeralized better IMHO.

-Forth is ease of installation. Anyone with mechanical ability can install my cooler (no welding required) or down time from taking it into the shop and hoping the guy who is welding on the factory cooler is competent at TIG welding aluminum, not to mention the cost of this labor.

-Fifth it is plumbed into the factory location in parallel with the existing cooler. This is the way the engineers designed it from the factory and it operates in parallel with the stock cooler.

I'm not saying that these other coolers don't work, I'm sure they do but I just didn't like the things as stated above. I'm pretty anal with regards to things and deal with heat exchangers, intercoolers ect on a daily basis with my profession and these are the things that I personally didn't like about the welded rear coolers.

Not to bash your kit-But heres my thoughts.

*Cooler in the rear more efficent.
*Cooler doesnt make tunnel weaker it stiffens it up-ALOT.
*I dont want anymore hoses under the hood.
*And i think mounting time will be about the same-Welding alu. is
a biggie for some -Piece of cake for the Professionals.

Ed

Premium Features