• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

POO PRO 800 engine?

Will the PRO's 800 engine last?

• YES

Votes: 352 71.5%
  • NO

Votes: 140 28.5%

• Total voters

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Just a different fuel/ignition/electrical system then the dragons, as well as slightly better piston/cylinder clearences and support......sure some will go down, but overall they will be as reliable as any of the big 3.....all it takes is to ride both a dragon and a pro and you can feel the difference in the motor....all the manufacturers are having issues with their motors in one way or another..its not new, and it will get worse as the EPA continues to tighten down....

B
Jan 16, 2010
Northern Utah
Even though my dealer is in the process of rebuilding my motor from a lower rod bearing failure I think Poo is on the right track with this engine.

I think that the oil consumption being so low has caused a few of us (me included of course) to lose rod bearings. All together I have only heard of maybe half a dozen motors failing so far and it has not been the top ends like the previous Poo motor.

From my knowledge the crank has always been a strong point on the Poo sleds (correct me if I'm wrong here folks), so I think Poo will resolve the issue.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
cranky

Not sure about some crank issues in years past, seemed to be a few go bad, maybe it was a bearing issue?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
it is the same crank as the dragons, and I dont think i have heard of more then a few dragons loosing cranks/bearings over the last 5 seasons...even with all the shrapnel coming from all the pistons that have been torn up....so the bearings/cranks on the pro's should hold up as well, and so far i havent seen or heard of any pro's loosing pistons unless they showed clears signs of det(a turbo sled comes to mind)...and the bearing/crank issues could be from the common kinked oil lines,or bad assembly where a bearing got roughed up on install...

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.
oil pump adjustment

Even though my dealer is in the process of rebuilding my motor from a lower rod bearing failure I think Poo is on the right track with this engine.

I think that the oil consumption being so low has caused a few of us (me included of course) to lose rod bearings. All together I have only heard of maybe half a dozen motors failing so far and it has not been the top ends like the previous Poo motor.

From my knowledge the crank has always been a strong point on the Poo sleds (correct me if I'm wrong here folks), so I think Poo will resolve the issue.

I adjusted my oil pump to line up the marks which increased the oil consumption to where it should be. I think polaris has it on the light side to meet emissions.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Yes it will, the d8 motor will last and last as well if the correct pistons are in it with proper clearance. I do always run some oil in my fuel (1oz/gallon) in every sled I have to be extra safe.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Just a different fuel/ignition/electrical system then the dragons, as well as slightly better piston/cylinder clearences and support......sure some will go down, but overall they will be as reliable as any of the big 3.....all it takes is to ride both a dragon and a pro and you can feel the difference in the motor....all the manufacturers are having issues with their motors in one way or another..its not new, and it will get worse as the EPA continues to tighten down....

Is there proof out there about Polaris actually changing the piston clearances? What "support" are you referring to?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
the pistons are supposed to be slightly longer in the skirt, as well as the cylinder skirt is supposed to be longer for more support, also heard piston/wall clearence is tightened up over the dragons...I havent verified any of this yet, but that is what I have been told by several dealers now....i know this, if you jump on a pro, the motor runs much better from idle to max rpm, on the trail or off regardless of temps...which means the fuel system/electrical is working right, and polaris's maps are much better then the dragon maps....

K
Dec 30, 2010
Massachusettes, USA
Well they don't have many options because the Direct injection motor will hopefully come out soon and there is not really a point in creating a new 800. Hopefully they work out the bugs.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My wife only has 700 miles on her turbo pro. So far so good. Every time I fill the oil up I keep thinking it won't last. Her pro doesn't use anything for oil. My turboed cat uses 3 times the oil. Time will tell.

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
I have over 1000 miles on my Pro now. While I was out riding Saturday there were 2 pulls that I did where I was wide open for over 2 minutes and this sled just keeps on screaming all the way to the top. I feel if it were to have any issues it would be pulls like this where your at a constant 8100-8300 rpms for over 2 minutes. That can't be good on motors especially these 2 strokes but it don't miss a beat.

This is my first Polaris and I have never been happier on a sled, check the oil every 3rd or 4th fill up because it uses so little amount of oil.

Do I think there gonna last, yes I do some will have problems but 99% will be trouble free from motors going down JMHO

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
engine

I sold alot of these and have not worked on any yet.

Some of our guys beat the heck out of them

we have some over 2500 miles and running awesome yet!!!

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
I hate posting this. I love this sled and it is the best sled I have every had. My piston skirt broke at 800 miles. I hope that I am one in at least 1000. My dealer has not said what went wrong yet. Sled is still at dealer. Should be picking up today or tomorrow. I was not driving the sled when it blew, My son was. I do know if you drive any motor wide open for a long time it will blew. My son owns a doo and he has been through motors and now the sled is broke in half . XPs are weak.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
It's a sled....so you're definetly going to have some motors go down from any of the big 3 manufacturers.

That said, I think we would have seen a bunch of problems already if this motor was going to be a weak one.

Premium Features