• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carbon fiber tunnel measurement?...

C
May 23, 2012
Hello! :face-icon-small-hap

I'm in the process of making a vacuum moulded carbon fiber tunnel for my '91 Exciter "III" and have a question for pre '96 Phazer owners... can someone please measure the width of their tunnel for me? The Exciter tunnel measures 16-1/4" across and I'd like to know if the tunnel will also fit the pre '96 Phazer's.

Thank in advance! :)

C
May 23, 2012
Tough crowd! Lol :) Anyone have their Phazer close at hand?...

I also have the wood buck mocked up for my wife's '96 Vmax 600 tunnel, but it measures 17-1/2" across the back. Just trying to get a handle on what other sleds might be able to use the mould I will end up with...

Thanks again!

Franz

Premium Member
Nov 11, 2008
Logan, UT
Sorry I can't help with any dimensions. I wanted to do this a few years ago but just ended up buying a sled already with a cf tunnel instead. No regrets so far. But I was surprised how thick it was, around 3/8" in places. You could make it so that airframe running boards could be added and that way you don't have to hack out the holes in your nice new tunnel for foot traction.

C
May 23, 2012
Hi Franz. :)

The carbon tunnel I'm building for the Exciter, is to make up for the 155" skid I replaced the 121" stock skid. I'm doing more carbon work on the Exciter also (custom carbon hood, side panels, fairing, etc.) but the carbon tunnel is the more important of the work I'm doing. I worked for a Yamaha dealer in 1988 and purchased my very first sled (1988 Phazer) from them. I know the Phazers and Exciters of that era were very similar with the obvious displacement differences and was wondering if the tunnel widths were the same.

I have experience with mould making and vacuum carbon and fiberglass parts production also. I started off years ago in the kit car industry and later on with carbon fiber parts production in the hang gliding industry... Carbon fiber tunnels and sled parts are quite easy to do in comparison.

My tunnels are being produced without the traditional running boards and instead, have the required ledge for the newer running boards. I'm using Skinz running boards, rear bumper, snow flap, etc. The aluminum tunnel reinforcements are being fabricated locally. It's a fun project. :)

I currently have several tunnel plugs for the newer sleds of all manufacturers, but figured this forum would be the best place to post with this particular request.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'm going way back in the memory banks but I'm pretty sure the old Phazer tunnel was 16 1/4". That number sounds very familiar. PM Turblue, pretty sure he has one.

M5

Last edited:

Snowmixer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2014
Snohomish, WA
"Tough crowd! Lol
smile.gif
Anyone have their Phazer close at hand?..."

Looks like you got the information you were looking for, but I was thinking that you may have more luck posting in the '2-stroke' section. Most info in this section is regarding Phazers, but specifically the 2007+ 4-stroke Phazers.

At any rate, I am interested in your project as I am doing basically the same thing to my 2007 Phazer. I saw your post (I think it was you) in the Polaris section asking about the 155 skid, and I am looking forward to checking out your build thread when it happens!

C
May 23, 2012
Hi Snowmixer.

I didn't realize this forum was for the newer Phazers, thank you for pointing that out.

The thread regarding the 155 Polaris skid is mine. :)
I'm having fun with the project! I have time off from logging due to breakup, so I decided it was time to get working on projects I wouldn't normally have time for. It won't be long before I can create build threads with photos, I've been taking pics of the whole process. The Exciter is the more extensive of the projects, because I'm making new moulds and custom carbon panels, all redesigned.

The Vmax project involves a new carbon tunnel, 151" skid and Camo track and new custom carbon hood and windshield. The tunnel plug is nearly finished and the hood is sitting on the bench almost ready for mockup and moulding for carbon. :)

What are you planning on doing to your 2007 Phazer? New tunnel and longer skid? I love watching the build threads! There is a multitude of talented people on this site! :)

Snowmixer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2014
Snohomish, WA
Sounds like you have quite a set of plans for your projects, and they will be very interesting to follow! I will also start a build thread when I get a little closer to being done with my project. I just hate reading a build thread and then it stops and nothing happens for months, which is kind of where my project would be right now. I figured no one wants to see or hear about all of the sanding, filling, more sanding, more filling I've done on the tunnel plug!

As for what I'm doing to my 2007 Phazer, I am widening it to use a 15 wide track, 153 Arctic Cat float rear skid with 15x155x2.5 Challenger Extreme track, machined various parts out of titanium or high strength aluminum to replace steel, carbon fiber tunnel w/under tunnel exhaust, fixed a lot of the loose steering problems, etc. If I have time yet this summer, I would like to machine a titanium driveshaft and jacksjaft to reduce weight a little more, but I really need to focus on getting the tunnel done.

I have limited experience with carbon fiber work, so I have been learning as I go, and of course making a few mistakes along the way! Luckily, I have a good friend, also a sledder, who has been doing aerospace carbon fiber work for the last 15 years or so, which has been very helpful.

Currently, I am just sanding the tunnel plug to make the finish a little smoother, then I'll wax it up and start laying up a mold over it. Once the mold is done, I will be infusing the actual tunnel in the mold, and praying that everything works out! I was hoping to have it done this season, but recently bought another sled to ride instead, so the mad rush to get it finished is over. Now I'm hoping to be able to do most of the layup work when the weather starts getting warmer.

This has been my first sled project (using my first sled) and there are still a lot of unknowns, but I am confident it will be a very fun sled to ride when it's done! Of course, I also feel like it may never be done, there will always be something else to design and build for it...narrow A-arms, custom spindles, custom turbo setup, more carbon fiber body panels, belt drive...it could be a never ending project! But I am loving it, don't really regret diving in head first, just wish I had a workshop and that I didn't miss out on riding this season! Hopefully next year will make up for it! :)

C
May 23, 2012
Sounds like we're working on a lot of the same things! :) Too bad you're not in BC where it would be easier to visit and share build tips easier. My first tunnel plug took 20 hours to build. Now I'm able to build a tunnel plug in under 10 hours. I'm not crazy about the filling and sanding portion of the work, but the prep work is 100% of the finished part and worth every second it takes! I'll be at it again in the shop all day doing just that. :)

Good luck with your build. I look forward to looking through your build thread once you have it started. I'm hoping to start a few threads in the next couple of weeks that will be picture heavy!

D
Dec 4, 2015
Would love to see some pics of your proses/results! I thought about making a cf tunnel for my 97' sx700/mm...just can't find the time right now. Hopefully I'll get to it someday. I love modding my "old" sleds. Haha

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
So very cool. A buddy of mine just went retro and stuffed an old Suzuki 700 in his Exciter like we used to see back in the day. He loves that sled after all the work he's put into it. Very cool to hear what you're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
Any updates Connor bc? Any thoughts of popping a.few out? Maybe interested in how it turns out

Premium Features