• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 yamaha mountain max no lights or tach

D
Feb 8, 2012
sled runs perfect but lately the lights started being funny
now i have no lights or tach
i replaced the relays by the left foot well
looking for other possibilities i checked the grounds and wire harness everything looks good

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
Not sure if this relates to yamaha but tail light wires like to rub through either under the seat or inside tunnel depending on where they are run. That will cause trouble. Also had a voltage regulator fail on my sled and it runs good but lighting and guages suffer.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
It could be the stator. On several of the 2 stroke Yamahas the stator has different windings for the ignition and electrical. (Two halves basically)
It is possible for one half to go bad. In your case the ignition side is good but the electrical accessory which runs the lights could be bad.

We had this happen on a 600 XTC once only it was the ignition side. The sled wouldn't run due to no voltage, but when you pulled it over there was voltage/power to the lights. I replaced the stator and it fixed the problem.

HTH
Bill

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
I had a similiar problem years ago..... some of the dash gauges stopped working.

I had broken/melting wiring from my triple pipes. The damaged wires were located were they crossed over from the sled onto the hood. When I closed the hood, the wires moved close to the pipes. It took several rides for it finally to completely damage the wiring.

R

Premium Features