• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 timing changes

R
Sep 2, 2014
I have a 2009 M1000 and so far I have found that the 07-08 models had more advanced ignition timing and I could really benefit from a timing key on mine. Problem is that my Ecu might been reflashed in 2011. So I'm wondering was there any changes in ignition timing after '09.

Also, is there anyway to see if the ECU is reflashed.

thanks

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I think the 07-08 fuel maps were richer than what started coming in 09. Couldn't run as much timing with the lean midrange fueling without burning them down would be my guess. I rode an 09 M1000 with some mods for a few seasons and the midrange would always get hot if you held it at a steady crusing RPM on the trail. EGT gauges were vital in keeping it alive.

Not completely sure if there is a way to tell what map is programmed. From what I have been told, you can load a known map into it, but there is no way of seeing what was in it before. The m1000s didn't change from 09 to 11 so I'm guessing those maps are very close, if not the same. Next major round of EPA regs took affect in 2012 I believe.

R
Sep 2, 2014
I'll install EGT gauges and fuel control box in it anyways, so I probably could just put in the timing key as well and richen the mixture where it's necessary. My main concern would be that if the timing had been tightened after '09 I would have problem with detonation then.

Premium Features