• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wonder Why there are fewer AC dealers

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
maybe one dealer said that /\ after cat took all his new sleds back?.

D
Oct 14, 2013
north MI
For the last 25 years there has always been at least three times as many if not more Arctic Cat dealers where I live as there has any other dealer. Right now there are 5 AC shops within a 60 mile radius to Polaris's 2. Yamaha doesn't even have a dealership that only sells that one brand. One Ski Doo that doesn't sell anthing but. I see the same thing going on with the car dealers. Big multi-dealers are buying up the little guys or pushing them out because they can live within the lower margins, the little guys can't.

I was talking to the local Polaris dealership owner last winter, he said he has to give them away sell the amount of sleds Polaris wants to let him stay a dealer and to keep up with the multi-brand Polaris shop.

AC isn't going anywhere, do you know any other brand that has the kind of loyalty that it has? Ask yourself how many of your friends have dumped AC for Yamaha or Polaris or heaven forbid Ski Dont? Not many.

R

Ride_The_Rockies

Jun 19, 2002
Utah
Polaris out performs Arcticcat in the engine category?

I believe the comment was made about the Polaris UTV engine not the snowmobile engine. In my opinion Cat has a better snowmobile engine but Polaris's UTV engine is a lot better than Cat. The new Polaris RZR 1000 is pretty amazing.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Many of the concerns referenced such as the amount of inventory, low margins, poor rebates, poor financing offers,etc.... have been verbalized for awhile now. I certainly know in my area and headed north that there are Far less Cat dealers than when we really started riding in the late 90's: I noticed most of this in the last 10 years, and this could be due to other factors such as poor winters, poor economy, etc...
I agree when you look at offers from the competitors many times I find a comparable sled for less money, sometimes significant. I have great Cat dealers, and find myself loyal to Cat, but I see the concern on where things are headed with their business model.

One can only hope the changes at the top can help right the ship and get them back on track.

Stack

Jun 3, 2013
Gossip all you want cat is and will always be around! Just because they had an Obama like leader for a while they were miss guided, now he has been removed we will carry on our way once again in the front of the pack ;)

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
They sure treated otm like cr*p. I'd have to think twice before buying any of their products just for that reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I thought the motor comment was pretty funny... but I guess the rzr does seem to do rather well compared to their sleds :D

As to how they treat dealers... anyone who is friends with a dealer knows that's been that way for a while, there are a number of things they do to dealers that are hurting value, and causing the good dealers to drop them... or in the case of OTS... the other way around.

All that said... hard to even question that they've got the best motor on the snow still. I sure hope they never go anywhere.

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
Up here in my area dealers are giving up there arctic cat dealer license because arctic cat is forcing them to carry so much inventory in all categories, and parts too. The little dealerships that only sell 15 sleds a year or 10-15 ATV/UTVs can't handle the overhead cost pressure that Cat is forcing them to have. Hopefully the new guys in change this system before we lose more dealers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premium Features