• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anyone weigh the new powerclaw yet???

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
have wondered what the weight difference is between a 162 challenger and the 162 powerclaw. read a post where i think someone said it was 3lbs lighter than the skidoo track...

T

tfrick821

Nov 27, 2007
eastern ia
There is a guy on TY that put a 163 on his nytro. He has pics of his maverick 154 on a bathroom scale at 51.4 lbs, and a 163 power claw at 51.2lbs. Who knows how accurate those bathroom scales are, and I have no idea about the skidoo track but i hope this helps for comparison.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I don't think its any lighter than the challenger (alot of rubber on this track). If I had to do it again, I would have modified an A-20 to run with my 08 drivers. This would have saved a bunch of money, and given me a lighter track that performs extremely well in all conditions.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
There is a guy on TY that put a 163 on his nytro. He has pics of his maverick 154 on a bathroom scale at 51.4 lbs, and a 163 power claw at 51.2lbs. Who knows how accurate those bathroom scales are, and I have no idea about the skidoo track but i hope this helps for comparison.

that would be me...here are the pics...

Here is 162 PowerClaw...

162powerclawMedium.jpg

Here is 153" Maverick (stock track)

Maverick153wtMedium.jpg

Apr 21, 2008
I don't think its any lighter than the challenger (alot of rubber on this track). If I had to do it again, I would have modified an A-20 to run with my 08 drivers. This would have saved a bunch of money, and given me a lighter track that performs extremely well in all conditions.

It is lighter and the decrease in rolling resistance is supposed to feel like a 10hp gain (just what I've read). Being that this is a single-ply track though, I don't doubt that it is light and would have a ton less rolling resistance.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
I came up with the same as MtDream for a difference between the 162 AC and the 153 Mav... 0.2 lbs.

I however came up with 52 lbs and 52.2 lbs respectively.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I just pulled the tracking ticket for the 162" camo that I sold and mailed off.
Boxed weight on a UPS scale is 52.75. That is with box and tape.
The powerclaw has alot of rubber on it as the paddles are thick, and the outer fingers are solid. Your not saving any weight with it.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon

finally someone is not sounding like a commercial for the powerclaw, this is the kind of feedback i've been looking for. obviously your opinion of the new track is not as high as everyone elses! so lets hear a little more of what ya think. beware though, remember the first peeps who had anything bad to say about the a20, the flaming was painful even from here:)

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
finally someone is not sounding like a commercial for the powerclaw, this is the kind of feedback i've been looking for. obviously your opinion of the new track is not as high as everyone elses! so lets hear a little more of what ya think. beware though, remember the first peeps who had anything bad to say about the a20, the flaming was painful even from here:)

I am looking forward to riding the powerclaw, as I HATED the camo track do to its lack of deep powder performance. The only thing that I can compare it to is the A-20 and that track was awsome when it was flipped and straitened. The powerclaw looks to be much like a straightened A-20, except for the fingers on the outer edge, and the paddles being quite a bit thicker. (this is where the weight comes in) My main concern is deep climbing, the A-20 would keep you moving up the hill 36 mph track speed, and 3 mph ground speed, yet you just keep climbing. Whereas, the camo will hold 36mph track speed, but once your ground speed drops, you trench in and need to turn out or get stuck. I'm hoping the PC track performs similiar to the modified A-20.
I always wanted to put an A-20 on my M8 (I even have one sitting in my shop) but I figured I'd give this new one a try as I won't have any problem selling it if doesn't perform.

C
Nov 26, 2007
castlegar bc
I am looking forward to riding the powerclaw, as I HATED the camo track do to its lack of deep powder performance. The only thing that I can compare it to is the A-20 and that track was awsome when it was flipped and straitened. The powerclaw looks to be much like a straightened A-20, except for the fingers on the outer edge, and the paddles being quite a bit thicker. (this is where the weight comes in) My main concern is deep climbing, the A-20 would keep you moving up the hill 36 mph track speed, and 3 mph ground speed, yet you just keep climbing. Whereas, the camo will hold 36mph track speed, but once your ground speed drops, you trench in and need to turn out or get stuck. I'm hoping the PC track performs similiar to the modified A-20.
I always wanted to put an A-20 on my M8 (I even have one sitting in my shop) but I figured I'd give this new one a try as I won't have any problem selling it if doesn't perform.

I found the same thing but different. My modded A-20 trenched like crazy!!! When I upgraded to a camo extreme it was amazing how well the track performed in deep snow. I could stop on a steep hill and crawl away like nothing. The a-20 would just spin out and dig a hole.

My opinion- Camo extreme is the best deep snow performance track going. PROVEN to work.

Chaz

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
If you think the Challenger Extreme is the best deep powder track on the market, you should try a different track. I ran the extreme all last season and put about 1500 miles on it and could not disagree with you more about it being a deep powder track. This is a good track but not unless there is a base for it to hook up on, in the deep pow it is a trencher and I am not the only one that will tell you this. If I wasn't so disapointed in its deep powder performance I wouldn't have bought an A-20 this year to swap out on the deep powder days. Believe me I am not looking forward to swaping tracks throughout the season but I was real tired of getting out performed in the powder by sleds with less power and shorter tracks. Deep powder was the only snow that I was at a disadvantage in.

On another note who knows the weight of a 162 A20 and a 162 Challenger extreme. I think the extreme is a little over 60 pounds but not sure.

Premium Features