• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Couple looking for other couples to ride with

T
Aug 13, 2012
My girlfriend and I are looking for other couple(s) who also ride, are there any out there, or is it 99.99% guys??. We live in Denver, are in our early 40's, have a self- contained setup (truck with one sled in the bed and the other on a one place trailer), and usually go riding about three times a month on the weekends from the afternoon to nighttime (she works Sat & Sun mornings, we have no problem with night riding). We prefer to ride as near to Denver as possible to avoid highway tie-ups and heavy traffic. A few times during the season we'll take a day off during the week and road trip to a hotel and stay overnight and ride all day. I social drink, she doesn't drink.
We aren't speed demons, I have a 2008 Phazer and a ballz-out Cmx for deep riding, and she has a 1996 SkiDoo Formula S 380 (I tried to talk her into another Freestyle but she likes the red color of her skidoo, haha)...
So if anyone's looking to ride soon, let us know, our sleds are ready to go and we're casing out the mountains looking for snow.. :phone:

T
Aug 13, 2012
We took a Thursday off and got a hotel room in Grand Lake last season. Since it was the middle of the week we had the whole mountain to ourselves, it was awesome. This picture is from that trip...

DSC01769.jpg

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Did 2 trips with the wife last season to Grand Lake. First was 3 nights and second was 4 nights. Had a blast each time and can't say enough about the locals and out of town visitors. The only local we didn't meet fortunately was Mr/Mrs Moose....there's a scary video on this forum of a rider's encounter with a moose at GL.

I love the fact that we could ride our sleds to the restaurants and gas station each day.

First time we stayed at the place featured on Hotel Impossible and the accommodations were unremarkable but closer to the restaurants.

The second time we stayed at Gateway Inn and the rooms were larger and more hospitable. The bar/lounge was a great place to hang out and meet new people. We'll definitely go back to the Gateway when we return.

C
Sep 23, 2011
Durango, Co
The wife and I ride Grand Lake a lot, The Gateway is the best place in town to stay! If your around on the weekends we'd love to ride with you. Were in our late 20's but don't do any crazy riding, mostly playing in the meadows and eating lunch on the peaks! Were actually finally getting married in GL in March. Think Snow for us! Were self contained too, got the Jeep and a 2 place trailer that'll go anywhere.

T
Aug 13, 2012
Cool! Since it looks like everyone rides at GL, maybe we could all meet up there one day and ride!!

Backcountryislife, do you ride with your wife, or go to the backcountry with guys?

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Glad I'm not the only one who admits to riding with their wife. Now if I can only get her to get off trail on purpose. Loved it when she missed a turn on the trail at GL last year and unknowingly ended up in a nice meadow to play in. The first time she did this, she stopped and watched me play but the following day she actually gave it a try and had a blast when we found virgin snow and had the entire meadow to ourselves.

jsnow17

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
Iowa
My wife and I would be up to meeting some couple riders. She has been out with me several times years ago but in the last 7 years just been going out with the guys. Last year she said she has the itch again so buying another sled and planning on coming out about 4 times this year. We live in north central Iowa, about a 14 hour drive. We would come out on Thursday to ride thru weekend and head back on Sunday. There might be a few trips we would come out thru the week, Will stay in touch.

T
Aug 13, 2012
Glad I'm not the only one who admits to riding with their wife. Now if I can only get her to get off trail on purpose. Loved it when she missed a turn on the trail at GL last year and unknowingly ended up in a nice meadow to play in. The first time she did this, she stopped and watched me play but the following day she actually gave it a try and had a blast when we found virgin snow and had the entire meadow to ourselves.

Funny, my girlfriend is the tomboy type, was one of the top ten in Texas BMX when she was a kid, then raced moto-x. She doesn't mind meadows, just is super scared of sidehilling. That's also why she likes her older Formula S, lower center of gravity because you sit so low, so less tipping power...

T
Aug 13, 2012
My wife and I would be up to meeting some couple riders. She has been out with me several times years ago but in the last 7 years just been going out with the guys. Last year she said she has the itch again so buying another sled and planning on coming out about 4 times this year. We live in north central Iowa, about a 14 hour drive. We would come out on Thursday to ride thru weekend and head back on Sunday. There might be a few trips we would come out thru the week, Will stay in touch.

Ya, sounds good, I'm down... :face-icon-small-hap

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
I am up in Wellington and fiancee is in Casper, WY. I most likely will have her sled down here in Colorado. We are looking for couples to ride with also. I like the extreme stuff, but also do enjoy a relaxing ride every now and then. I am gettig her into minor sidehilling and boonedocking. She is used to riding with the guys up in Wyoming and is looking for couples to ride with so she can bang bars with another female.

snowlovers

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Utah and Meeker Colo.
couples for sleding

Hey
Me and the wife have always rode together, we have a cabin in between Ripple creek trail head and The flat tops just past Buford colo, about 20 miles up white river from Meeker. We have rode the intire rockies and think these 2 places are the best. Have about a foot of snow at the cabin right now. If anyone wants to ride that area we have room for 2 extra couples at the cabin. Free room for fellow sledders. PM us if interested when there is enough snow and we will show you all the good spots. Dave and Vic

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Hey
Me and the wife have always rode together, we have a cabin in between Ripple creek trail head and The flat tops just past Buford colo, about 20 miles up white river from Meeker. We have rode the intire rockies and think these 2 places are the best. Have about a foot of snow at the cabin right now. If anyone wants to ride that area we have room for 2 extra couples at the cabin. Free room for fellow sledders. PM us if interested when there is enough snow and we will show you all the good spots. Dave and Vic

Hay Dave maybe we can meet up sometime. My wife and I love to ride together. We have a cabin on the Grand Mesa. We've ridden the flat tops some, would like to see more of it.

Best advice I can give all you guys who ride with your wives and girlfriends - hook them up with an Amber Holt riding class. My wife now has the confidence to ride wherever she chooses to go. She may not climb certain stuff or boondock certain patches of trees but she's confident in her sled and her ability. Sure made it a lot more fun for me. By the way did I mention she's 60?

Second best piece of advice - make sure you put your wife or girlfriend on a good sled. If you want them to enjoy it get them something that will do the things you want to do. Don't go buy a brand new sled for yourself and stick them on some old piece of crap. That's a great recipe for disaster. And no monster sled hand me downs either! Buy something they can handle. One of the new 600's come to mind. My wife has the standard Polaris RMK 600ES. It has shorter bars and extra cooling versus the Pro model. She absolutely loves it.

T
Aug 13, 2012
Ya, my girl met Amber and also went to her class at the sled swap meet in Denver last year.

About buying a new sled for the woman, I think it's best to first make sure that she's 100% into it before laying out all that cash. I know piles of people who threw down $15k on machines and gear for their girl, only to find out she doesn't like snow....

My girl has a older sled now, but it was the normal technology of the day, everyone rode them back then. It also runs like a brand new machine.... Snow hasn't changed since then, just the way people drive.... Anyway, I just bought her a new motorcycle last week, hehehe....:sun:

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Ya, my girl met Amber and also went to her class at the sled swap meet in Denver last year.

About buying a new sled for the woman, I think it's best to first make sure that she's 100% into it before laying out all that cash. I know piles of people who threw down $15k on machines and gear for their girl, only to find out she doesn't like snow....

My girl has a older sled now, but it was the normal technology of the day, everyone rode them back then. It also runs like a brand new machine.... Snow hasn't changed since then, just the way people drive.... Anyway, I just bought her a new motorcycle last week, hehehe....:sun:

Agreed on the 'make sure she's into it first' part. Usually it doesn't take very long to figure that part out. My son's girlfriend is a big dirt bike rider so when we took her out last year she was a natural on my wife's ride.

That said, my son and I were blasting along having a blast on a super powder day, snowing like crazy, just ripping it up and then we stopped for a minute to catch our breath and realized the girlfriend was literally freezing to death and totally miserable. We got her a fire built and warmed up and she rode with us again but we damn near blew it by assuming she was doing fine. Since she wasn't playing as hard as us all the cold and snow caused her to freeze her *** off. Luckily we saved the day otherwise she never would have ridden again. Girls don't play as hard we do (with some exceptions of course.)

Premium Features