• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Wheel Kit Question....

M

metallicat

Nov 27, 2007
Rugby, ND
Ok, here's the deal. I had an 07 dragon rmk. it had ( if i remember right) like
7 3/8" back wheels. i picked up a set of 8 inch edgeworks wheels. they would fit in there but
1. would this defeat the purpose of having a tipped rail???
2. pushing the track down off the hyfax that 1/4" and only riding on the wheels themselves, is that too hard on the wheels and back axle?? or am i worrying too much about this?

I ordered an assault, and assuming the stock wheels are the same as my dragon, was i was just wondering if this is going to screw up my handling by running them. gotta admit to all you pow riders, i am just doing this for looks for the most part i think because i am pretty much a flatlander in north dakota. maybe there is still an advantage??

thanks guys.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The 1/4" won't be too much to cause any where/damage issues on the wheels. I've done it before without issues.

How much of the tip up it defeats depends on the length of the track you have. The bend is in the same place on all the rails so the longer the rail the further up the rear axle relative to the rest of the rail.

But in my opinion it isn't going to affect the handling in any noticeable way. If you were running on rock hard snow, maybe, but on an RMK with a 2.4" track you get more than 1/4" bend in the paddles already.

sled_guy

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Its not just about the wear, but the way the track stays centered on the wheels...

The stock are 7.125" if you go to 8" you will push the track off the rails by nearly 1/2"

You will need a big wheel kit or an offset axle adapter...

Dont go larger than 8" or you will have track rubbing and lifting off the top idler on full tail compression. Rubbing especially aparent with a 2.4" track.

Some like to go with 9" and sometimes larger... and say "it works just fine" but I have yet to see one, with the stock skid not have issues with larger than 8".

Just my 2 cents...

If you want the looks... you have to invest in the right parts to make it work well.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Heres a stupid question.
If it is just for looks, why not get the same size wheels that are already there?
You get all the looks without any of the hassle.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
I did the same thing earlier this season because I wanted to put my billet wheels on and the offset axles were on backorder. It does push the track off the rails a bit more but not so far that it causes a problem.

Just a note though, this was on a 3 wheel setup and the outside wheels hold everything in alignment. If you're running two inside wheels (which I'm pretty sure the Assaults are), you might have more to worry about. Just get the axle (only $100) and then you'll know it's right.:beer;

M

metallicat

Nov 27, 2007
Rugby, ND
kind of some mixed reviews, but probably more "do it rights" than just put them on i guess. and the reason i don't just get the same size wheels is because i bought these used. i got the 2 small side ones with brackets, and three of the 8", all with bearings for about $150 and they are in great shape. not a bad deal. 5 for the price of one! the other thing is, do you think they can get me an offset axle for that small of difference???? i'll try to get ahold of edgeworks again but the last time i tried that it took about a month before anyone got back to me. oh well, i guess the sled won't even be here until november. thanks!!

T
Nov 26, 2007
metallicat, you more than likely can get the offset you need by simply replacing the stock axle holders with offset holders that are custom machined or something. Basically speaking you have a one inch diameter axle that is held by 4 plastic blocks that hold the axle in a 1.5" window. Just get 4 blocks of aluminum and have 1" holes drilled in them so the axle is touching the very top of the rail window.

(I hope this makes sense!)

M

metallicat

Nov 27, 2007
Rugby, ND
Thanks!!! I see on another thread that i might even get my assault early this year. I guess that's good because i want it but i think i'd rather have the grand and get it mid november. oh well:D

Premium Features