• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Flooring for a trailer

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147219

Hmmm okay I have done this several times and worked great every time AND held up for years.

For a wood deck fiberglass coat it AND put clean large grain sand final coat so you dont slip

You can get 5 gallons of fiberglass resin for $150 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280904491933?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any cracks or holes in the floor use bondo for under $25 a gallon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bondo-1-Gal...203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d35824c5b

You can add as thinner into the resin so the first coat "soaks" into the wood deck. Then apply more coats to make it tougher.

Go to a junk yard or a company that coats liners in truck beds and buy the plastic truck liners for about $20 each. Cut them up and use them for tracks so the carbides don't eat the deck. You can even cut a lip to help the sled turn out of a V-nose trailer. Then cut sections from the tailgate liner and mount on the deck parallel to the track lugs between the "bedliner" tracks and the E-track so the sled has grip. To better secure bolt them to the deck.

To tie the sled down bolt E-track to the deck.

E-track is rated to hold 46,000 psi but each clamp is 2000 to 6500 lbs depending on the type of clamp tie down release. To ghet this kind od holding strength grade 8 bolt it to the frame or weld it. This is the same fasteners used inside cargo containers. About $3 a foot but each foot has multiple ports to connect clamps.

Carpet don't work in the South West cause it gets above freezing most of the time and you drive up to the snow ... 7000 feet. The ice / snow melts then freezes to the carpet ! So when you try to pull it up the carpet comes with the ice!

And yep we do this on outdoor decks in the mountains cause the temps there range from 120F in the summer to -20F in the winter ! Or rich guys buy cedar ... and then replace it after a "bad" winter. Ya there is the "new" plastic decks but htey leak and the plastic is screwed into something ... wood!

You can take sections of the bed liner top make traction bars or a delaminated sections of truck tread or a torn sled track.

Last edited:
C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Poly bead flooring. Hands down. Most trailer companies offer it as an option.

Sent from my iPhone via magic!

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I did indoor outdoor carpet in mine, glues down and its in the second year still going strong.

I just bought a brand stinkin new 27 foot Interstate Enclosed this morning.

It doesnt even have any footprints in it yet (read: Virgin!).

My last sled trailer I painted the floor with grey poly paint that had walnut shells in it for texture.

It held up really well over the course of a couple winters use with and without carbide covers.

Now Im debating which way I wanna go with this new one...paint & walnut shells with cut up bed liner tracks?

Or try this indoor/outdoor carpet gig using glue on the fresh, new plywood?

I just went to home depot tonight and spotted three different types of indoor outdoor carpet.

None of which appear to have any kind of closed rubber backing on them.

1). There was grey low pile carpet, much like youd see in a mud room or inside a screened in porch or something.

2). There was a tan colored carpet, same as above texture, just different color.

3). The final was the type we probably have all seen around an outdoor pool...the green astro-turf fake grass looking carpet.

Again, none appeared to have a close cell backing to prevent water getting through to the plywood.

Which have people been using with success, or am I looking at the wrong stuff?

Thanks...Im in a rush, theres lots of fresh falling in the hills as I write this!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I guess Ill reply to myself. I gave up on the carpet idea....I just pulled the trigger on several hundred dollars of plastic low profile ski guides/glides.

First, for wetness protection, poly paint with walnut shells, traction bars on ramps, then ski glides/guides...aint gonna be cheap but the heck with it.

I want to be able to ride in and ride out without dicking around with ski covers, ski wheels/casters, etc...been there, done all that!

Premium Features