• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust valve system dump valve

906 Bob

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
The 906 of MI
www.myspace.com
I have an Assault and was looking to remove the exhaust valve system dump valve
I did a search and came up with lots of info but I still have 2 questions. (Q 1) after disconnecting the wiring the check engine light comes on how have you guys kept this from happening? (Q 2) at sea level what springs should I be using in the valves after disconnecting the dump?

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
If you want to run without the solonoid and have the valves operate like the older ves's just plug the hoses where they come out of the exhaust valves. You can just leave the wiring alone to the solonoid and let it do its thing. I would recommend starting with pink springs at sea level and play with it from there.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
PLUGGED EXHAUST VALVES

I have an Assault and was looking to remove the exhaust valve system dump valve
I did a search and came up with lots of info but I still have 2 questions. (Q 1) after disconnecting the wiring the check engine light comes on how have you guys kept this from happening? (Q 2) at sea level what springs should I be using in the valves after disconnecting the dump?

Yeah, you HAVE TO leave the wires plugged in.

Info is in TECH TIPS thread, pinned at the top under the "Increasing Your IQ" pinned at the top, I left the stock exhaust springs in my 2007 D7, and it works great, but I'm also RICHENED up with the PC-3.

Some guys have experienced "bogging" which would require a spring change and/or RICHENED fuel curve.

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
Kraven,

My sled is new to me and I am going through the sled and increasing its IQ as I go. I have hooked/plugged my valves together as you recommended but in doing so I found that the previous owner had plugged the hose that comes out of the bottom of the solenoid. Have you ever seen this? Benefit? Where did this hose go originally?

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
Kraven,

My sled is new to me and I am going through the sled and increasing its IQ as I go. I have hooked/plugged my valves together as you recommended but in doing so I found that the previous owner had plugged the hose that comes out of the bottom of the solenoid. Have you ever seen this? Benefit? Where did this hose go originally?

Anybody?

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Just another way of plugging them. I'm not really sure if there is a benefit to leaving the hose open between them or not. I think most people like to plug the system closer to the valves. This reduces the chamber volume and allows the valves to react more quickly.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
MONTE's HI-TEK EXHAUST VALVE PLUG KIT

Just another way of plugging them. I'm not really sure if there is a benefit to leaving the hose open between them or not. I think most people like to plug the system closer to the valves. This reduces the chamber volume and allows the valves to react more quickly.

Actually, MONTE makes the most HI-TECH custom made exhaust valve plug set-up I've ever seen.

Includes NASA approved blue anodized Aerospace aluminum plugs, tapped and threaded valve bodies, assembled using Super -Kryptonite embedded Teflon Tape.

It doesn't get any better...................................................

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Kraven,

The hose originally went into the open cavity (belly pan) to vent to the outside air.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Actually, MONTE makes the most HI-TECH custom made exhaust valve plug set-up I've ever seen.

Includes NASA approved blue anodized Aerospace aluminum plugs, tapped and threaded valve bodies, assembled using Super -Kryptonite embedded Teflon Tape.

It doesn't get any better...................................................

Oh, haha. :pound:

Kraven has been the brains behind this operation and has been most helpful to many of us on the topic of these valves.
I already told some friends to plug them on their Pro Rmk and just get it over with.

N
Sep 29, 2010
don't do it!! leave them be. my sled had a bad low end lean bog! ran like crap. I don't understand this, people say to do this so the valves open sooner so the motor revs faster, but the stock springs are to light, so they put a stiffer spring in to compensate. whats the difference?? whats the point??

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
don't do it!! leave them be. my sled had a bad low end lean bog! ran like crap. I don't understand this, people say to do this so the valves open sooner so the motor revs faster, but the stock springs are to light, so they put a stiffer spring in to compensate. whats the difference?? whats the point??

I strongly suspect your sled is lean to begin with,(or other issues?) and by the valves opening sooner, it just becomes more noticeable, that's all.

Tuned properly, whether it's richening it up via the fuel controller, or a different exhaust spring combo, real life results have proven the plugged valved sleds to be quicker.

On my 2007 D7, I plugged them and left the stock exhaust springs in, definitely noticeably quicker in acceleration compared to my bud's identical D7 test mule sled.

Remember Casey's 160+ h.p. D-8 dynoed at Dynotech? When I asked him about plugging the exhaust valves, he said he already runs 'em that way. That should tell you something.

The overwhelming majority of the feedback I've rec'd is it works!

It's either that or actually I just post up this B.S. so that Monte can sell more of his soon-to-be-patented exhaust valve plug kits (which I'm a silent partner in that business) and we meet every year at the hide-out (Rustic old restaurant in the Northwoods called Little Bohemia the Restaurant where the Feds almost caught John Dillinger and accidentally shot some innocent civilians by mistake) Monte brings a duffel bag loaded with cash the end of the season and we split the profits.

Last edited:
E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
The hose originally went into the open cavity (belly pan) to vent to the outside air.

Thanks for the info Kraven. I was wondering if that was what the hose was intended to do when I could not find an open port or anything in the parts diagrams.

The valves opening sooner should reduce some heat build up also correct?

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Thanks for the info Kraven. I was wondering if that was what the hose was intended to do when I could not find an open port or anything in the parts diagrams.

The valves opening sooner should reduce some heat build up also correct?

Yes, definitely on the heat reduction.

If you recall, Indy Dan commented on the heat (retention) issue as well.

Think about this scenario for a moment, comparing the "older" non-solenoid exhaust set-ups to the "newer" emissions compliant solenoid ones...................Cruising down the trail with the exhaust restricted can't be a good thing

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
Yes, definitely on the heat reduction.

If you recall, Indy Dan commented on the heat (retention) issue as well.

Think about this scenario for a moment, comparing the "older" non-solenoid exhaust set-ups to the "newer" emissions compliant solenoid ones...................Cruising down the trail with the exhaust restricted can't be a good thing

Makes perfect sense to me. Even if there is no performance gains to be seen the less restricted exhaust/less heat is worth the little bit of work.

R
Jul 20, 2009
[/B][/B]

It's either that or actually I just post up this B.S. so that Monte can sell more of his soon-to-be-patented exhaust valve plug kits (which I'm a silent partner in that business) and we meet every year at the hide-out (Rustic old restaurant in the Northwoods called Little Bohemia the Restaurant where the Feds almost caught John Dillinger and accidentally shot some innocent civilians by mistake) Monte brings a duffel bag loaded with cash the end of the season and we split the profits.

:D HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats awesome

sledking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
Is there that much of a noticeable difference when you plug the solenoid?
and would you then have to change springs when going from low to high elevations?

Dont mean to thread jack just curious

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
JUST TRY IT ALREADY

Is there that much of a noticeable difference when you plug the solenoid?
and would you then have to change springs when going from low to high elevations?

Dont mean to thread jack just curious

Take a simple pair of mini-vise grips, clamp the 1/4" rubber line between the "T" and the solenoid, and ride YOUR sled and make YOUR own determination.

It costs you nothing to try it, and in less time than it took to read this post, you'll have your answer.

Even on the carbed sleds, it's been recommended that there's a benefit going to a LIGHTER exhaust valve spring when going to HIGHER elevations.

Hope this helps

Premium Features