• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014/15 Alpine Snow Conditions Rockin' M Ranch

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Rockin' M Snow Report Alpine, Wyoming

December 29, 2014
10 new inches here at the Rockin' M Cabins since Saturday night. Most snow we have had in the Valley over the Holidays in the last few seasons. Forecast is for very cold weather for the next few days. Riding should be awesome!!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Winter Storm Warning

January 4, 2014
About 1 inch of new here at the Rockin' M yesterday morning. I just measured 4 more inches since last night. Saying 2-3 feet in the mountains?
This is the current winter storm warning:
...POTENT PROLONGED WINTER STORM FOR THE WEST AND NORTH MOUNTAINS...

.MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL FALL ACROSS THE WESTERN AND NORTHERN
MOUNTAINS ALONG WITH STRONG WEST TO NORTHWEST WINDS OF 30 TO 40
MPH AT MOUNTAIN TOP LEVEL. A PROLONGED PERIOD OF STRONG WINDS
AND DEEP PACIFIC MOISTURE PRODUCING PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY
SNOW AND SIGNIFICANT BLOWING SNOW WILL CONTINUE TONIGHT...MONDAY
AND MONDAY NIGHT...MAKING FOR VERY HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM MST TUESDAY...

THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM MST TUESDAY.

* SUMMARY AND TIMING...LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW TODAY WILL BE
REPLACED BY PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW AND INCREASED WINDS
BEGINNING TONIGHT...LASTING THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...TWO TO THREE FEET IN THE MOUNTAINS WITH 8
TO 16 INCHES IN THE JACKSON HOLE FROM MOOSE NORTH...6 TO 12
INCHES IN THE TOWN OF JACKSON.

* WIND AND VISIBILITY...ABOVE 8000 FEET...WEST TO SOUTHWEST WINDS
20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS 40 TO 50 MPH WILL COMBINE WITH THE
SNOW...GREATLY REDUCING VISIBILITY AT TIMES.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL BE SLICK...SNOWPACKED...WITH POSSIBLE
LARGE DRIFTS COVERING THE ROADWAYS AT TIMES...MAKING TRAVEL
EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS...INCLUDING TETON AND TOGWOTEE PASSES.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 5, 2014
About 10 inches of wet snow here at the cabins in the last 24 hours. The local ski resorts are showing 21-22". Snotel sites are nearing 60". It has been several years since we have had such a great snowpack in the low elevations. This is going to be an incredible week of riding.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Jan 5th was the last round of fresh for the area, then it got sunny and warm right after that snow. Last sun-mon brought some light 1-2" snows to the area but above average temps followed that too. Most place have a good base now but things are hard and tracked up. There is snow in the forecast for fri-tue range but not sure how much at this point.

Hope that helps. Eric

F

fireworkswi

Oct 10, 2009
River Falls, WI
Thanks Eric. Was hoping this weekends snow forecast may turn into a nice storm. Doesn't look like it. The wife don't mind following me in the trees to get to pockets of snow. But she won't want to ride trees all day for decent snow. It's a shame too. We already have our plane tickets bought to leave our truck/trailer out there and fly from Idaho Falls back to MSP and then back out in 3 weeks. Not sure what will be more frustrating. Having to pay the $150/person in airline transfer fees or riding for 7 days on the above stated conditions.

Thanks for the update.

Brent

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Thanks Eric. Was hoping this weekends snow forecast may turn into a nice storm. Doesn't look like it. The wife don't mind following me in the trees to get to pockets of snow. But she won't want to ride trees all day for decent snow. It's a shame too. We already have our plane tickets bought to leave our truck/trailer out there and fly from Idaho Falls back to MSP and then back out in 3 weeks. Not sure what will be more frustrating. Having to pay the $150/person in airline transfer fees or riding for 7 days on the above stated conditions.

Thanks for the update.

Brent

Since your driving out you have more options, you could always stop at Togowtee first and see what that is like. They didn't get as warm as the rest of the area after that last round of snow and the trails are going to be in much better condition over there. Then you could head down by alpine or even south of alpine around willow creek. Then on your last day before going to Idaho Falls you could ride Pine Creek Pass.
Its always hard to know what the snow will be like when planning a trip. The good news is that everywhere has plenty of snow to ride on now and it just comes down to who ends up with the most fresh snow out of this weekend/early week storm.
This is another good link to check mountain forecasts, http://www.mountainweather.com/index.php?page=jackson_hole_forecast
scroll down to where it lists mountain forecast (9,000ft) he is calling for 5" on Friday and 4" on sunday with more mon/tue.

the way this winter is going 2 weeks from now it could be 50* again, I would just go and have fun :) Eric

F

fireworkswi

Oct 10, 2009
River Falls, WI
Thanks for the pep talk. I will take the skirt off now and roll with it. Yep, having 8 nights we will have plenty of time to check out different spots. Might even go skiing at JH for a day. Will post on where we ride and snow conditions.

Cheers!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Thanks Eric,
Took the words out of my mouth. 114% of average. Plenty of snow for the time of the year, but could use a freshen up.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 17, 2014
About 2-3 inches here at the cabins from yesterdays storm. Looked like 3-4" at the Greys River trailhead. More snow predicted tonight.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 19, 2015 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch

January 19, 2015 Alpine, Wyoming Rockin' M Ranch Snow Report
We woke up to about two inches of wet heavy snow Sunday Morning. As the day went on it warmed a bit and went to bed last night to a rain snow mix. It is clear and sunny today, it appears from looking at the snow line on the mountains that the snow gets lighter over 7000 feet. The feed back from Saturdays renters was all good. It sounds like the new snow was enough to freshen things up and soften the crust that had previously formed in some of the open areas. I don't believe over the hood powder is going to be found, but some powder for sure. A guy that rode Blind Bull on Saturday said it was the best day of riding he ever had. It appears that most of the mountains in the area picked up 6-10 inches from the last storm. Jackson hole ski resort reports 9" in 24 hours and Targhee 13" in three days. Willow went from 48"-51"(111%), Blind Bull 56"to 60" (138%), Spring Creek 56"-62" (141%).
Just a little side note. I have had a few phone calls this year of people wanting to cancel due to the "poor snow". I am not getting this. We have survived many winters where the snow was 70-80% of normal yet we still found good riding. This year the Snake River drainage is at 118% and our local snotel sites even higher. The overall inches on the snotel sites does not look as impressive as past because we had early conditions that created an incredibly thick dense base. Another comment we get from people who have driven from the Togwotee direction is, Alpine doesn't have as much snow as Togwotee. Of course not, Togwotee is a mountain pass that sits over 8000 feet. Alpine sits at 5700 feet, we ride up a bit before we get to the deep snow. Most of our snotel sites are at 8000-9000 feet as compared to Togwotee's 9580". Therefore it is not a real fair comparison to compare sites. We do have riding from 9000-10,000 feet just no snotel sites at those elevations. If we were to compare this season the Blindbull snotel site which sits at 8650 has 17.3 inches of water in the snopack. Togwotee snotel which sits at 9580 has 15.5 inches of water in the snowpack. Yes, it is fair to say the Alpine area has more snow than Togwotee. Of course all of this being said, snotel sites aren't entirely accurate due to the wind effect which can make them lie significantly either way. I wish I could tell all the Snowsnobs out there that every morning is going to be sunny with over the hood powder, with a low avalanche risk, but I can't. But I can say, we have great snow this year. Those lucky enough to be here after or during a good dump may find the legendary "over the hood powder" that us locals hope to get a few times of the year, and those who don't time it quite right should still be able to find good riding without to much effort.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
We woke up to about two inches of wet heavy snow Sunday Morning. As the day went on it warmed a bit and went to bed last night to a rain snow mix. It is clear and sunny today, it appears from looking at the snow line on the mountains that the snow gets lighter over 7000 feet. The feed back from Saturdays renters was all good. It sounds like the new snow was enough to freshen things up and soften the crust that had previously formed in some of the open areas. I don't believe over the hood powder is going to be found, but some powder for sure. A guy that rode Blind Bull on Saturday said it was the best day of riding he ever had. It appears that most of the mountains in the area picked up 6-10 inches from the last storm. Jackson hole ski resort reports 9" in 24 hours and Targhee 13" in three days. Willow went from 48"-51"(111%), Blind Bull 56"to 60" (138%), Spring Creek 56"-62" (141%).
Just a little side note. I have had a few phone calls this year of people wanting to cancel due to the "poor snow". I am not getting this. We have survived many winters where the snow was 70-80% of normal yet we still found good riding. This year the Snake River drainage is at 118% and our local snotel sites even higher. The overall inches on the snotel sites does not look as impressive as past because we had early conditions that created an incredibly thick dense base. Another comment we get from people who have driven from the Togwotee direction is, Alpine doesn't have as much snow as Togwotee. Of course not, Togwotee is a mountain pass that sits over 8000 feet. Alpine sits at 5700 feet, we ride up a bit before we get to the deep snow. Most of our snotel sites are at 8000-9000 feet as compared to Togwotee's 9580". Therefore it is not a real fair comparison to compare sites. We do have riding from 9000-10,000 feet just no snotel sites at those elevations. If we must compare this season Blindbull snotel site which sits at 8650 has 17.3 inches of water in the snopack. Togwotee snotel which sits at 9580 has 15.5 inches of water in the snowpack. Yes it is fair to say the Alpine area has more snow than Togwotee. Of course all of this being said, snotel sites aren't entirely accurate due to the wind effect which can make them lie significantly either way. I wish I could tell all the Snowsnobs out there that every morning is going to be sunny with over the hood powder, with a low avalanche risk, but I can't. But I can say, we have great snow this year. Those lucky enough to be here after or during a good dump may find the legendary "over the hood powder" that us locals hope to get a few times of the year, and those who don't time it quite right should still be able to find good riding without to much effort.

I'm not in your shoes but I'm surprised at some of the comments I hear about the snow too.
I rode Saturday about 20 miles north of Alpine near the ID/WY boarder and it was an awesome day. We found bumper to hood deep powder all day long. The snotel sites only give you an "idea" of the snow levels. I figured it was time to break out the avy probe and do some checking. Around 7500 ft there was 6.5-7ft of snow, 8500-9500 it range from 9-12 ft (had to dig down for probe to hit ground). There is plenty of snow around, and not hard to find powder. Eric

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Just a little side note. I have had a few phone calls this year of people wanting to cancel due to the "poor snow". I am not getting this. We have survived many winters where the snow was 70-80% of normal yet we still found good riding. This year the Snake River drainage is at 118% and our local snotel sites even higher. The overall inches on the snotel sites does not look as impressive as past because we had early conditions that created an incredibly thick dense base. Another comment we get from people who have driven from the Togwotee direction is, Alpine doesn't have as much snow as Togwotee. Of course not, Togwotee is a mountain pass that sits over 8000 feet. Alpine sits at 5700 feet, we ride up a bit before we get to the deep snow. Most of our snotel sites are at 8000-9000 feet as compared to Togwotee's 9580". Therefore it is not a real fair comparison to compare sites. We do have riding from 9000-10,000 feet just no snotel sites at those elevations. If we were to compare this season the Blindbull snotel site which sits at 8650 has 17.3 inches of water in the snopack. Togwotee snotel which sits at 9580 has 15.5 inches of water in the snowpack. Yes, it is fair to say the Alpine area has more snow than Togwotee. Of course all of this being said, snotel sites aren't entirely accurate due to the wind effect which can make them lie significantly either way. I wish I could tell all the Snowsnobs out there that every morning is going to be sunny with over the hood powder, with a low avalanche risk, but I can't. But I can say, we have great snow this year. Those lucky enough to be here after or during a good dump may find the legendary "over the hood powder" that us locals hope to get a few times of the year, and those who don't time it quite right should still be able to find good riding without to much effort.
We have been to Togwotee three times in the past and Alpine one time the second week of January last year. All I can say is we really liked Alpine. We hope to make it back there the third week in March of this year depending on snow conditions. Our second choice is Island Park ID. Thanks for the update.:face-icon-small-ton

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah

I hope your staying busy with your business and I really love the conditions update thread here your running, as far as the complaints your addressing no need to mind the people who have no idea what they are talking about. Ride tog guys, by all means.

Premium Features