• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014/15 Big Horns N/S Snow Conditions

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
2 buddys and I also have a trip for 26-29th of march. hard to tell since its a ways away but the way it looks not good im assuming?

N

nytro4

Mar 13, 2011
Southern mn
We just got home this morning from n bighorns, stayed at elk view, we rode trail p down to antelope butte ski area, found some decent snow on thurs, wednesday rode to high country, found some decent spots, really had to drop into some remote areas to find some deeper snow, yesterday we rode to freeze out point and just went from valley to valley found a logging road that lead us to a logged out area with untracked really deep snow, very fun riding, was very warm at lodge, up higher not to bad, ice scratchers a must unless u get snow by next week, snow softened up around 10.30 everyday, creeks are flowing good, new snow will make it good again

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Just seen this. Don't believe the new snow comment
49621c3d58bc121cb36c9ce04d5a40f0.jpg

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Anyone have some updated pic's?
Am having a tough time dealing with the idea that sleddin season is over, had been planning to ride at the end of the month. :face-icon-small-sad

Sroufe7

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2014
Brookings, SD
www.sspowder.com
Anyone have some updated pic's?
Am having a tough time dealing with the idea that sleddin season is over, had been planning to ride at the end of the month. :face-icon-small-sad

Same here. Only rode once so far this season and the only other time I can go is the end of March. Pretty disappointing...I need a new job where I can take off when I want too!

Stutz

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Watertown, SD
Anyone been riding?

I am leaving tomorrow with a group for the Bear Lodge area for one last ride this year no matter what the conditions are. Has anyone still found decent snow in the trees? What direction from this area is the best snow?

Sroufe7

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2014
Brookings, SD
www.sspowder.com
I am leaving tomorrow with a group for the Bear Lodge area for one last ride this year no matter what the conditions are. Has anyone still found decent snow in the trees? What direction from this area is the best snow?

Not that it really helps, but a friend of mine and his family were out this past weekend and thought the snow was pretty good. That was before the temps started to rise.

T

T Cat

Dec 27, 2007
I would say it's down to trail riding with scratchers. The hills will be pretty sticky. They only got 3 inches and the web cam was not updated, so?????

Stutz

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Watertown, SD
Rode Friday and Saturday out of elk view. Friday went south west and Saturday went west on H and then dropped south and went cross country all the way back to p. There is snow to go wherever you want but it is all set up, no powder, but if you want to get out and ride some you can certainly do that. Around the lodges the snow is getting very thin, but once you get out a ways it is better. Before 10am I was having a hard time keeping my sled cool even with scratchers, once the snow softens up a bit from the sun I didn't have any issues. They had gotten a couple inches of fresh stuff last night at the lodges.

Rock Hound

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Central Mn
Just got back from the Horns after four days of riding. There is snow, it is spring snow, but you can go anywhere you want. Rode mostly southwest of Bear. As said before, before 10 or 11 is tuff, but after the sun works abit its good. I would like to thank Bruce our guide from Bear Lodge for getting us into some nice play areas. Thanks also to Rick and Roberta from Bear Lodge-it was fun as always and looking forward to next year.

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
Baldy's up to 61 inches, wish it would dump a couple feet for us! Rode rabbit ears last weekend, spring riding but wish the horns had that kind of terrain! Steep and technical tree riding galore!

I see that High County has new managers now, excited about that, can't wait to stop in and meet them.

Vintage races at Elk View are on for April 11th. Destination X will have the 2016 Axys on display too. Always a good time!

Last edited:

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Just came back from the horns and it was 50 plus up on the hill. We rode Granite and it was pretty fun but melting fast, water running everywhere. That was my last ride of the season. Even if they do get dumped on, there are so many land mines showing that it will be a bad deal for someone.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Just got back yesterday from 3 days riding the Horns. Was my first trip so I have nothing to compare to except for the Black Hills which I have tons of experience with. Stayed at Elk View. Snow thin and patchy around both Elk View and Bear Lodge. Going west from Bear towards High Country conditions get much better. Snow was set up but was fun climbing. High Country is open and has gas. Went to Bucking Mule Falls. Trails around their were in good shape. Went East and came out North of Bear Lodge and it got very bad. Spent a day South of Elk View around Granite pass and Woodchuck. Found more soft snow in those areas especially in the tree climbs and next to the rock faces. Our group spent some time digging out. I do not know what to expect for the Horns this time of the year but I had fun on this trip. We had the mountain to ourselves. Ran into 1 group of 4 from MN at Bear Lodge, other than them we never saw another snowmobile for 3 days.

Premium Features