• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015/16 Snowy Range snow conditions

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
This time of year you never really know where the snow is going to be, just drive around until you get your truck stuck, then you know it's deep enough for a good road ride! The highway is closed now, but I'm not sure if it will stay closed for the season. It's different every year based on conditions, last year it was November 15th.

Winter Storm Warning in effect from 11 am this morning to
11 am MST Tuesday...

The National Weather Service in Cheyenne has issued a Winter
Storm Warning for snow and blowing snow... which is in effect from
11 am this morning to 11 am MST Tuesday. The Winter Weather
Advisory is no longer in effect.

* Timing... snow will develop this morning and continue through
Tuesday morning.

* Total snow accumulations... 6 to 12 inches with locally higher
amounts. The snow may be heavy at times tonight.

* Winds/visibility... north winds increasing to 25 to 35 mph with
gusts to 45 mph. Visibilities will be reduced to less than a
half mile in snow and blowing snow.

* Impacts... primarily travel. Significantly reduced visibilities
will occur at times... along with icy and snow packed roads.
Travel will be extremely difficult.

Keep it coming!!

D
Jan 15, 2015
Also got out today. 30" + in some areas. Good start. Almost glad we couldnt ride off roads yet cause there are lots of landmines out there. Snow was pretty light. One meadow we saw was very tempting though!

20151107_113022_zpsafk0z8mj.jpg

20151107_112712_zpsukhlnhcz.jpg

20151107_122944_zpsybnflfkt.jpg
Where is this again ? Might of missed it in the last responses. Trying to find a good spot for tomorrow after this snow hits. I'm In the snohomish area of wa

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
Where is this again ? Might of missed it in the last responses. Trying to find a good spot for tomorrow after this snow hits. I'm In the snohomish area of wa

This is the snowy mountain range, in southern wyoming.

I you are from Snoho Wash, check out Mt Rainier.

Predicting up to 170" by thursday night! Rainier has an average snowfall of over 600" per year!

rainier.jpg

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
In this case, no news is not good news. We pretty well got skunked, maybe a couple inches out of it. Around an order of magnitude lower than predicted.

P

prosledder

Nov 26, 2007
Boone, Iowa
Dang, that's too bad! Looks like Colorado got hammered...I was hoping the Snowy's would have gotten some. We're still planning on coming out the 27th so hopefully they get some more.

R

RiotCountry

Jul 11, 2010
Minneapolis
Yeah we have a trip planned out to Albany Lodge the week after Thanksgiving, wondering if we should wait until a little later in the year? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I actually would like to wait until later in the year but the guy I am going with is pretty set on it, want to make sure we aren't wasting our time?

Thanks.

cowboy tom

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
We rode the 14th. We had to ride the in the ditch. The rode is closed but last weekend you could of driven across top in a low rider and not gotten stuck.

N

nfinit100

Oct 1, 2015
Northern CO
Yeah we have a trip planned out to Albany Lodge the week after Thanksgiving, wondering if we should wait until a little later in the year? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I actually would like to wait until later in the year but the guy I am going with is pretty set on it, want to make sure we aren't wasting our time?

Thanks.

There is enough snow for some trail riding and likely some areas you can go off trail, but definitely going to be some obstacles. There is a Thanksgiving storm supposedly heading towards the snowies Wed/Thurs, but not a huge storm (all that is a guess anyway).

If you can wait, I'd wait. If it's just one of many trips then why not?

Iowa_assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2014
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Hoping to ride the day afer Thanksgiving... thought it was a little better conditions then stated above... is it worth the 13 hour drive from Iowa? Any kind of off trail safe up there yet?

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Hoping to ride the day afer Thanksgiving... thought it was a little better conditions then stated above... is it worth the 13 hour drive from Iowa? Any kind of off trail safe up there yet?

I went up on Saturday, started low around 7500ft and worked up to around 10500ft (hunting cats initially & then went up to see snow levels)

If you are looking for a good road ride... Yes it's great for that.

Off trail - for me.. is a no, even at higher elevations. I poked around a few meadows I know are safe and that was it.

I am not going to be 'riding' until we get significant snowfall & it's a 20 min drive for me (btw I'm not a snow snob who only goes up on pow days, I just don't like breaking my sled before winter starts..)

The snowpack is extremely patchy- Good snow 3+ft & then two miles away 12-18".

R

RiotCountry

Jul 11, 2010
Minneapolis
There is enough snow for some trail riding and likely some areas you can go off trail, but definitely going to be some obstacles. There is a Thanksgiving storm supposedly heading towards the snowies Wed/Thurs, but not a huge storm (all that is a guess anyway).

If you can wait, I'd wait. If it's just one of many trips then why not?

I agree, we are holding off. I used to live in Denver so I may head toward Vail or Rabbit Ears it appears they have been getting hammered. May spend the week there instead and hit the snowies in February. Thanks for all the info!

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I don't think Rabbit Ears, Buff, or Cameron have any more snow than the Snowies. Further south, especially in the San Juans, yes.

Premium Features