• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Short track or long track?

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
240 lbs, intermediate dirt bike rider. Going on a 450mx bike of some sort, not decided on brand yet. I'm leaning to long track 137 but they say 80% of kits they sell are short track 121.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Based on your weight and the 450 the LT is your best choice. Another factor would be location but I have no idea where you ride. The more powder days the more points in the LTs favor. But just the two first factors alone should seal the deal unless you plan on sticking to trails and low snow conditions.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
We ride mostly at revelstoke, have sleds as well so bottomless days will be sleds, 1-2ft rides or socked in weather for snowbikes.

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
Snow Checks of ST's and LT's are staying pretty much the same with hundreds ordered so far. We are building the same amount of each. Bottom line is that the LT is really taking off.

Dave @ Timbersled

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Based on riding Revy and 240 lbs, LT I'd say. Check on Facebook for the Revy Snowbikers group and ask them.

I'm in Calgary and only rode Revy once. I'm going ST but even at my 175-180 lbs, I'd likely go LT if I lived in Revy.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Yes, I agree also. You bigger guys 220+ will benefit from the LT. I noticed you said, "bottomless pow days" "are sled days", and 1 to 2 ft days are bike days. That is a total ST situation. You might hate dragging all that extra hardware around on most days when you don't need it.... The 2015 ST is noticeable much more fun than the LT. Just like a sled, the 174" X 3" sled is not much fun, but it gets around easier in the super deep pow. Then on days that aren't 4 ft deep, they're even less fun. However, being 240lbs before gear, I would recommend the LT. Example; If you went riding tomorrow, you wouldn't want the LT. The LT is excellent in deep pow but is not the best "all around" kit.

Last edited:
J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
I know the sx kits are sold out with the 10.5 137, wonder if cutting down the 12.5x137 to say 11x137 might be a good compromise?

S

snowbie

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
I was ready to snocheck an LT before I read this post. I'm in Washington. Usually the most "powder" we get is around 1-2'. It's usually heavier snow. I would mainly like to go through the trees, ditch bang, occasional hill climbs. I'm 170 pounds plus gear and looking to put a kit on a '14 KTM 500 EXC. Would a short track be that much more fun on the '15 kit?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
The ST is more playful and easier to dart through the tight stuff side to side than the LT. On the hard, setup days you do notice the extra length which usually translates to ride harshness vs. the ST. I haven't seen an occasion where the LT gets to where the ST doesn't.... the ST just has to be more creative about the route and possibly throw an extra switchback into the climb. But that is only on those blower snow deep powder days.

A 129 3" track would probably be an awesome compromise. Just need someone to make it. The deepest lug 129 I can find is a 1.75 and that just doesn't cut the mustard.

M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
On steep sidehills through the trees, the LT is able to take steeper lines up the mountain and gets stuck less. Always tradeoffs. Just need to honestly ask yourself which type of riding you intend to do the most.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I noticed the LT doesn't require me to rev the engine nearly as hard to get around in the deep stuff as the ST. The ST is more sporty and the LT is more 'tractorish". If you just want to explore and don't jump much, maybe a LT would be best?

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Hey Rush did the t5 and fuel controller do much for the power? Ie would you do it again given the cost?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
The PC T5 was a must in my opinion. The FMF 4.1 is also a good pipe, but I really don't think the longevity is there in the build quality. My last FMF fell apart several time... they just can't take the high rev vibes season after season. The reasons for the exhaust are not really the few extra ponies you get but the quick rev building that the exhaust promotes. The difference between stock and aftermarket are pretty dramatic.

I did not install the Dobeck on my KTM this year (had it on my KX last year) since the fueling was so much better stock. There were a few days I wish I had it, but this particular bike does fuel a lot better in the cold than the KX ever did. Any other bike I'd have that controller running, but the 450SXF does pretty good by itself. Next year I'll be considering a 20 shot of NOS and I'll most likely bring back the controller if that happens. For all other bikes the Dobeck is worth the $300.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Appreciate the feed back, I have ordered a 15 lt kit and will pick up a 15 450sxf in the fall, so starting with a similar base as you and mtndoo have. This info and the big 13 build thread are a great resource.

I wasn't planning a rekluse... Did it do much for you?

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
General consensus is that Rekluse is great for summer, not as useful on a snowbike.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I had a rekluse, it is more of a detriment than a blessing on mountain riding for summer. I will never get one again.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Good to know for snow not necessary, I had a z start pro on a 300xc was nice for single track summer rides.

I have all summer to think on this but I think I have lots sorted
2015 450 Sxf
2015 lt kit cut down to 11 wide.
Ims 3.1 tank
Fmf 4.1 or pc t5 full system
Trail tech stator
Hand warmers
Brush guards
Fastway 2 inch riser
Fastway adventure pegs
Fisher fat arse seat
P3 head pipe and mid pipe guards