• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Have mountain sled but never seen a mountain....

N
I am thinking about booking a trip to Togowtee Lodge in Wyoming to do some mountain riding in December. Has anyone ever been there? Just looking for any insight if it is a good place to go. I have lots of sledding experience, but as the title says, I have never seen a mountain...

T
Dec 25, 2007
December can be really touch and go for snow. It's early snow too without much base (i.e. more ways to break parts if you aren't used to riding...shoot even if you are stuff breaks more often). My recommendation would be to wait for mid January to early Feb. That has always been the best time if you are looking for a "snow guarantee." Hope you enjoy the trip you do get to plan!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If you can possibly go a bit later in the season your chances of having a really great experience go UP quite a bit.

But TOG would be a great place to go for your first exposure to mountain riding!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
wait till around new years, there is usually a lot of fun riding to be had in december, but its a LOT more of a refined skill to go out and know what is fun to shred on, and what is a big rock field that is barely covered. you learn it usually the hard way by hitting the stuff. so figure its a better bet to just wait a little and go out and have fun with a little less risk.

Also, make sure you got all your avy gear, training, and people with you are on the same page.... the mountains are fun, but they will bite back.

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
I agree with everyone. I've been to Tog a number of times, but I've been going to Cooke City between xmas and new years. It seems that Tog always lags a little in snow. Tog is a great place to rid for beginners and Advanced. Cooke leans more towards Advanced because it is much much smaller area to ride and there are more opportunities for the steep.

If you go to Tog, I'd really recommend getting a guide because it is such a large area. If the snow is good, you don't have to go very far from lodge.

You will love it, Tog is a great place to ride, but as others have said....ride safe!

Last edited:

schnid21

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2009
OP. Take a look at Momsmotorsports.com. I'm from Southerno Ontario and did a trip with them this year. Had a blast. We rode the Big Horns. Hoping to do Tog next year, but will see what the schedule they release is.

We went in Feb., found tons of snow. That being said I still managed to find a hidden gem and brought my sled back with bent up A-Arms. But it was a blast.

If its something you want to consider for next year, let me know, I'll keep you posted on where we decide to go and we can add you to our trip.

As far as the poster who mentioned Revy or one of those places. Would love to ride out there, but logistically its a nightmare. Heck it takes almost a full day of driving just to get around the great lakes and to the edge of Ontario, then add on whatever it takes to drive across the praries. Its a long friggin drive. That's why we did Wyoming. Took us 5 hours to get to Chicago, then loaded the sleds on the club truck and 24 hours later we were riding.

Revy is still on the bucket list, but it would have to be a well planned out trip with lots of time off work.

Jason

Last edited:
N
Thanks for the insight guys! The talk so far is to rent sleds rather than bring our own. One of the guys did the drive and brought his sled and would never do it again because it was a killer. So, they want to fly and rent sleds.

I asked about why December and the response was it is way cheaper.

I have a modded out Nytro MTX and I like the idea of running the crap out of a rented sled rather than my own. Renting does cost money, and I am still on the hook for damage.

I would like to run open country rather than technical riding in the trees since I have never done it before. Not sure how much of my high performance flat land trail and lake riding applies to extreme steep and deep. I do know now to carve, side hill and do donuts in deep snow. I "feel" that I would be capable, but again...never seen a mountain.

I never thought of beacons and avy gear...

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
We ran into some guys (from east coast) at a truck stop in NE. They had a lot of sleds and few riders and told us they are driving the sleds out and the other guys are flying. Just an idea. Maybe offer one of the people going some extra money to drive. Whether it's an option to pay someone extra to drive, and how much, depends how many days you'll be riding and how many sleds you need.

4 sled rentals x 5 days x $230/day = $4600

Driving would cost you maybe $1300 in fuel plus someone's time, and airfare.

Don't worry about the technical riding too much because if you go to a place with a good trail system you can dabble in the technical at will, doing more or less depending upon your comfort level.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
OP. Take a look at Momsmotorsports.com. I'm from Southerno Ontario and did a trip with them this year. Had a blast. We rode the Big Horns. Hoping to do Tog next year, but will see what the schedule they release is.

We went in Feb., found tons of snow. That being said I still managed to find a hidden gem and brought my sled back with bent up A-Arms. But it was a blast.

If its something you want to consider for next year, let me know, I'll keep you posted on where we decide to go and we can add you to our trip.

As far as the poster who mentioned Revy or one of those places. Would love to ride out there, but logistically its a nightmare. Heck it takes almost a full day of driving just to get around the great lakes and to the edge of Ontario, then add on whatever it takes to drive across the praries. Its a long friggin drive. That's why we did Wyoming. Took us 5 hours to get to Chicago, then loaded the sleds on the club truck and 24 hours later we were riding.

Revy is still on the bucket list, but it would have to be a well planned out trip with lots of time off work.

Jason

Bummer, guess we need to drain the lakes. They'll be full of Asian carp someday anyways.

Got the same road problems in Colorado. As a crow flys I'm close to the southern stuff, but the roads and passes are all goofy adding miles and time.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I would recommend Togwotee myself. I have been to most of the places, revy, cooke, mcCall, Sandpoint, Castlegar, etc.

For a new mountain rider I would again say Togwotee. Couple reasons.

They have a great rental fleet. Lots of Polaris and Cats. Your choice, pick a different one every day if you want.

Get the all inclusive package, I think it was like $200 a day or something, and it included the cabin, Guide, food, drinks every day. You can easily get your $200 back just at happy hour, and you get the full menu for dinner every night. This is by far the best package.

We had Carter for a guide, he is a great guy, and will take you to whatever level your looking for. When we went the Avy danger was high, so we found untouched powder everyday, but rode safe.

And lastly, Togwotee has riding for every skill level.

Thunder

Thanks for the insight guys! The talk so far is to rent sleds rather than bring our own. One of the guys did the drive and brought his sled and would never do it again because it was a killer. So, they want to fly and rent sleds.

I asked about why December and the response was it is way cheaper.

I have a modded out Nytro MTX and I like the idea of running the crap out of a rented sled rather than my own. Renting does cost money, and I am still on the hook for damage.

I would like to run open country rather than technical riding in the trees since I have never done it before. Not sure how much of my high performance flat land trail and lake riding applies to extreme steep and deep. I do know now to carve, side hill and do donuts in deep snow. I "feel" that I would be capable, but again...never seen a mountain.

I never thought of beacons and avy gear...

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
BC is where you want to be, pretty much anywhere. I have a buddy that ended up moving here from Wiarton just cause the sledding was to good to leave.

F

flying pig

Jan 17, 2008
Wembley Alberta Canada
Nobody has mentioned sled set up. You will hate ruding a flat land mod sled in the mountains, everything you know will be backwards. I would rent onecand ride it rather than bring an Ontario sled and tune it the whole trip. Fly to kelowna and drive to Revy. You won't regret it.

N
Pig, I hear ya. I won't be bringing my sled. 155hp with flatland setup won't cut it. I wouldn't want to waste time tuning and figuring out set ups. That would be way out of my league in a mountain environment.

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership
I am from Indiana and rode mountain sleds in Michigan for about 10 years before heading west for the 1st time in 96. First trip was to the Togwotee area. I have since road most areas of Wyoming and Colorado.
I think that area is excellent for your 1st trip west. It has a well developed trail system with many places to play close by, don't really need a guide.
Late in the year trips when you are mowing the grass back home can be fun also.

Premium Features