• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 F250 Superduty

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Well this kinda BITES!
The dang Diesel is getting the SHORT END of the stick!

Bladder Buster: 2017 Ford Super Duty Offers Up To 48 Gallon Fuel Tank
Also Largest in Class DEF Tank on Diesel Models
Edward A. Sanchez – Aug 25, 2016

Bladder Buster: 2017 Ford Super Duty Offers Up To 48 Gallon Fuel Tank
When you’re in it for the long haul, towing a trailer hundreds of miles, nothing is more annoying than having to constantly stop for fuel. Not only do you take up an entire fuel island with the trailer and annoy fellow motorists, but trying to thread a large truck with a trailer through a gas station is a chore enough in itself. For years, the aftermarket has offered oversized fuel tanks for HD trucks to maximize range. However, with the 2017 Ford Super Duty, having to modify your truck’s fuel tank may no longer be necessary except in the most extreme cases.

For long-bed crew cab 2017 Super Duty models, the fuel tank capacity is a massive 48 gallons, more than 10 gallons larger than the 2016 equivalent Super Duty model and larger than any current competitor’s factory offering. In addition to the larger fuel tank, diesel models get a 50-percent larger diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) tank with a total capacity of 7.5 gallons, giving users that tow regularly confidence that they will not have to worry about topping it off for several journeys.

The 48 gallon fuel tank applies to both gas and diesel long-bed crew cab models.

Regular-cab models have a 34-gallon tank for gas models and 29 gallons for diesel models.

Super Cab models feature a 34-gallon capacity for gas models and 29 gallons for diesel with the 6.5-foot bed and 34 gallons with the 8-foot bed.

Crew Cab gas models feature a 48-gallon tank for both 6.5 and 8-foot beds and 34 gallons for diesels with 6.5-foot beds.

Never having seen the truck in person, I would say the smaller tank on the short box diesel is probably because of the location of the DEF tank... I would imagine that since they have to have somewhere to put the DEF tank, that is probably occupying the space the extra large single tank would need... A longer wheelbase on the crew cab model would offer that extra space....

Just another reason I like long bed trucks!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Never having seen the truck in person, I would say the smaller tank on the short box diesel is probably because of the location of the DEF tank... I would imagine that since they have to have somewhere to put the DEF tank, that is probably occupying the space the extra large single tank would need... A longer wheelbase on the crew cab model would offer that extra space....

Just another reason I like long bed trucks!

I would however be curious to see a pic of the underside of the truck (with cab and bed on) to see if this theory is correct or just another wrong assumption on my part...

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for a very pleasant buying experience at your dealership in Logan Utah yesterday.

My dear wife is ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE with her new Ford Explorer.
She just couldn't be happier with it.

Anytime and thank you! It was a pleasure meeting you and your family. I am happy to hear your wife is happy. Let me know if you need anything. I will let you know when the super duty's start showing up!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
LONG BED vs. SHORT BED ?

Somehow this component never quite made it into the discussion.
As I am looking at the fuel tank issue of NOT being able to get that nice big Diesel Fuel tank unless I get the Loooong bed version of the truck, I find myself wondering if I should consider it or not.

THOUGHTS?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Depends on if you want to haul more than 1/2 tsp of crap or not! :face-icon-small-ton

What do you typically end up hauling with your current truck? Keep a tool box or anything in the back?

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
LONG BED vs. SHORT BED ?

Somehow this component never quite made it into the discussion.
As I am looking at the fuel tank issue of NOT being able to get that nice big Diesel Fuel tank unless I get the Loooong bed version of the truck, I find myself wondering if I should consider it or not.

THOUGHTS?

Is a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer in the plans? Or even thought of?

If you answer the above question with anything other than a resounding no. Yes, you should buy a long bed.

Now, does it fit in the garage?

Premium Features