• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA Float 18 and 22, Pros and Cons

C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
I am looking at buying a couple of Avalanche Backpacks and I am looking at the BCA Float 18 and the 22. (lightly used and priced right) Anyone have any experience with these two packs. Looking for both the Pros and the Cons on these two packs. Thanks for your help

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Bought a Float Throttle 22 this year and love it. I thought coming from a non avi pack that it'd be pretty heavy, but really didn't notice it on at all. I added a tank bag to my sled, so most of what I carry went in there.

I carry shovel, probe, saw, first aid, and cpr mask in my pack along with a bottle of water and some food incase I'm to get separated from the sled over night and still have plenty of room. I could probably get away with an 18, but I never had the chance to see any in person or try any on before I bought, so I went bigger just incase. I'd recommend taking what you plan to carry in your pack to your local dealer, stuffing it all in, and wearing it to see how it feels before purchasing.

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
I recommend the Float Throttle 22. I currently ride with it. I replaced my float 30 with the 22.

One of my riding partners had the Float 18. It is just to small for any emergency gear, probes, shovel, snacks, etc...there is not a separate compartment for the shovel like there is on the 22.

I really like the Throttle 22.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have the 18. I like it because it is light and comfortable but it has VERY little room in it. I can only carry my emergency stuff. Firestarters, emergency blanket and a radio. The 22 has WAY more storage and is still not too big. It seems like way more than 4 liters more space.

gsled04

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2011
I have an 18, it has plenty of room for a full size shovel and probe. There is interior pouches for trinkets, and if you do any backpacking during the summer your emergency supplies from that will fit right in.

Premium Features