• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear Suspension Bushing Material

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
Working on an old exciter and found most all the rear skid bushings to be worn out. Decided to make the ones for the transfer rods out of some acetal resin Delrin I had. Those came out nice as this product machines very nice. I had bought a suspension shaft kit years ago that had delrin bushings and had made a few sets of my own over the years using this material with good results. When I got to the shock bushings I needed a larger diameter material so I went to the Mc Master Carr catalog and found that the delrin is only good to -20 deg. I found some UHMW Polyethylene that was good to -450 deg and had a better impact strength so I ordered that. I made the shock bushings from that but found this material to be gummy and hard to machine. It also seems to be softer than what was in there from the factory. At this point I would have rather used the delrin but am not sure if it is durable enough at the lower temps for the shock loads it will be seeing. Although I don't do much ridding @ -20 there is potential to be close to the working parameters of the delrin. Any one have any experience on the best material to use for shock bushings?

L
Aug 30, 2011
Adding grease nipples to the rear skid really improves the ride(Did this to an old 1996 ET410II,welded 1/4 nut on each pivot arm,drill a small hole inside,then screw in the grease nipple).Plastic bushings are great as long as your can get grease to them:juggle:.

Premium Features