• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help! What's this noise?

X
Jan 27, 2008
Minnesota
I have a knock in the crankcase when rocking the clutch back and forth by hand. And a pretty good rattle at idle on the clutch side. Are the two coming from the same place? The knock by hand won't do it with the plugs out. Only with compression. Which btw is 125 on each side. Will get vids up later.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
How many miles on sled. Sound like something loose in the primary. Maybe broken spider or bad roller or loose clutch weight. I would look there before the motor. It's not unheard to have a bad rod bearing, just not that common.

X
Jan 27, 2008
Minnesota
Just under 1200. I will look closer into clutch. I did have a belt let go at full throttle once last year. And it did over rev. I've owned it since new that's the only thing that could have hurt the motor.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
pull the hood off and pull out the power valves and look at the top of the piston for fine debris if you have bearing failing it will leave some residue. also as said above take the clutch cover off and look rollers and weight over. the motors do make some clunk when the pistons are at TDC and BDC as this is the point the piston rocks as the rod passed center.

X
Jan 27, 2008
Minnesota
pull the hood off and pull out the power valves and look at the top of the piston for fine debris if you have bearing failing it will leave some residue. also as said above take the clutch cover off and look rollers and weight over. the motors do make some clunk when the pistons are at TDC and BDC as this is the point the piston rocks as the rod passed center.

This would explain the knock noise with plugs in and not out. I'll dig into the clutch and check the exhaust valves after the Tday dinner wears off.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
This would explain the knock noise with plugs in and not out. I'll dig into the clutch and check the exhaust valves after the Tday dinner wears off.

your not checking the exhaust valve your using the hole to look at the pistons as this gives you a good view of the front and top.

X
Jan 27, 2008
Minnesota
My buddy's '14 makes the same noise when rocking the clutch back and forth. His only has 250 miles on it. My exhaust valves are clean so I'm going to leave the motor alone for now and replace the primary clutch.
Thanks for the help!

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
My buddy's '14 makes the same noise when rocking the clutch back and forth. His only has 250 miles on it. My exhaust valves are clean so I'm going to leave the motor alone for now and replace the primary clutch.
Thanks for the help!

Every 2 stroke cat I've owned has made that noise doing the same thing you were doing. Scared me at first. But never had a failure. And after 3 making the same noise. I figured it must be normal.

X
Jan 27, 2008
Minnesota
Every 2 stroke cat I've owned has made that noise doing the same thing you were doing. Scared me at first. But never had a failure. And after 3 making the same noise. I figured it must be normal.

Thanks for the info. The rattle at idle is what I was chasing when i heard that clunk. Thought I had a much bigger problem then. Primary is not cheap but at least I don't have to rebuild the motor too.

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
Thanks for the info. The rattle at idle is what I was chasing when i heard that clunk. Thought I had a much bigger problem then. Primary is not cheap but at least I don't have to rebuild the motor too.

I would simply pull yours apart and have a look. I believe all the rebuild parts are avaiable from Thunder Products if you find anything. If by chance its a broken spider, I have a brand new stock take off for sale.

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Fort St. John, British Columbia
Interesting. My sled was idling (haven't ridden it in 2 years) today and I noticed a similar sound coming from the primary, but the primary is less than 250km's old, brand new from AC. Sled has 1951KM on it.

Very confused and slightly concerned considering I'm going riding tomorrow.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Interesting. My sled was idling (haven't ridden it in 2 years) today and I noticed a similar sound coming from the primary, but the primary is less than 250km's old, brand new from AC. Sled has 1951KM on it.

Very confused and slightly concerned considering I'm going riding tomorrow.

I've said it once and I'll stay it again.

It's normal.

Premium Features