• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gear for safety vs doing laps??

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
One of my justifications for getting a ski rack, was that if needed I could always skin out if the sled broke.

Point of this thread is ideas for utilizing our ski racks for none lap days as say (quasi snowshoes) to maybe save our bacon. Preferably as light as possible.

Anyways, even though I'm not a boarder. First thing I though of was riding in snowboard boots and carrying a splitboard in the rack.

Then I remembered the goofy Apex Ski boots, and thought maybe? But might not be so good to skin with?

What's you guys thoughts on this?

Screw it and just carry snowshoes, or snowshoes in the rack?

Screw the weight and carry skis plus AT boots?

Screw it and just ride in AT boots?

R
Mar 16, 2010
Apex boots - no. I guess you COULD use an Apex boot and a newschool AT binding (Guardian, Marker Tour), but that's big and cumbersome.

Splitboards are $$$ for "maybe."

I guess I'd go with snowshoes, personally. I've normally got skins with me, AT bindings, etc - but I'm normally skiing. I'd think that if you're NOT skiing, and it is simply rescue/worst case equipment, I'd put that money/weight/space on the sled into an overnight kit - a lot of the places I ride are not all that far from humanity in terms of distance, but add thousands of vertical feet and deep snow, the places where snowshoes and/or skins are going to save your bacon are few and far between.

Overnight stuff AND snowshoes? That's probably the most "right" answer.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Imagine you're right, over night stuff should trump trying to get out, at least for the first night.

Premium Features