• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Phazer runs rough

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
My wifes Phazer started running really rough at the end of last season. It idles really rough for a few seconds, and then will die. If you give it some throttle it'll kindof "snap out of it" so to speak and sound perfect. Off the throttle and it goes back into running rough. Kinda seems like an electrical issue because it of the way it goes back and forth.

Any ideas here? new plugs last year.

Could a sensor wire of some sort have come loose?

If i take it to the dealer can they just plug in a diagnostic's device and figure it out? Or am I looking at a big bill?

Theres gotta be a benifit to having a 4 stroke in that diagnosing these things SHOULD be easier, like a car right????

Help please. Thanks.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
the diagnostic device is already there right on your guage. is it flashing a code? the guage will normally give you a code if something is wrong. Siphon all the gas out and put fresh gas in to rule that out.

Last edited:
F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
No code flashing, Got all old gas out, checked oil, it was low,(from being tipped over two times last season i assume) topped it off. Also the vent hose on the top of the oil tank was off, not sure why or if it was causing a problem, re-attached. Put fresh premium gas in, fired it up, runs fine for a minute or two, then started to stumble and eventually died like before.
Sounds like it runs just like it should on cold startup, idles high like it should, then almost like it starts running on one cylinder.

So I pulled it apart and yanked the plugs. I just put plugs in it last season as a "precautionary measure" the factory plugs were probably just fine and maybe I got a dud plug.

Anyway, buying new pulgs tomorrow, and we'll see how it goes.

The sled only has 450 miles on it total.

Do Phazers go through plugs often?? I would assume not but my wife does tend to start and stop the machine quite often, little short runs. We have a yamaha ATV that we use for around the property and it goes through a plug every 6 months and it's used for short run times aswell. Just thinking outloud.....

Thoughts?

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Yes they use plugs if you don't let them warm it will go thru plugs starting and stopping this motor and not letting it warm up will cause this.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
No code flashing, Got all old gas out, checked oil, it was low,(from being tipped over two times last season i assume) topped it off. Also the vent hose on the top of the oil tank was off, not sure why or if it was causing a problem, re-attached. Put fresh premium gas in, fired it up, runs fine for a minute or two, then started to stumble and eventually died like before.
Sounds like it runs just like it should on cold startup, idles high like it should, then almost like it starts running on one cylinder.

So I pulled it apart and yanked the plugs. I just put plugs in it last season as a "precautionary measure" the factory plugs were probably just fine and maybe I got a dud plug.

Anyway, buying new pulgs tomorrow, and we'll see how it goes.

The sled only has 450 miles on it total.

Do Phazers go through plugs often?? I would assume not but my wife does tend to start and stop the machine quite often, little short runs. We have a yamaha ATV that we use for around the property and it goes through a plug every 6 months and it's used for short run times aswell. Just thinking outloud.....

Thoughts?

If you are rolling it over and getting oil in the cylinders the plugs will foul. if you are not rolling it over they should not foul. FYI if you are rolling this sled over a lot you are flirting with a blown up engine and a repair bill for more than the sled is worth. I would highly recommend you put a tether on the sled to kill the engine if it rolls. Unfortunately they dont make the rollover valve for the phazer. I know several people that have rolled the phazer, flipped it back over, fired it up and took off quickly (like their old 2 stroke) then soon after thrown a rod thru the side of the engine. check oil level often. As for your problem....you might want to take the airbox apart and see if the filter is soaked with oil due to the rollovers. also check for the good old rats nest inside the airbox. Mice love to build their home in airboxes.

Also there were several factory updates on the phazer especially 2007. check with dealer to make sure updates were done.

Last edited:
F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
Good info, I'll check the air filter definately.

The couple roll overs were actually "tip overs" to be exact, and I've warned my wife and my buddy (the only two riders of the sled) if you ever tip it over shut'er down right away for that reason. So I'm not worried about blowing it up, but thanks for the tip anyway.

I think the plugs are most likely the problem. It's always the first thing I change out on a two stroke, but dang yamaha made it a pain in the arse to get to them...

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
Installed new plugs. Problem solved, runs amazing again.

Can't believe they only lasted like three rides. Hope they last longer this time. Although I'm geting pretty good at taking off the gas tank. :)

Thanks guys.

Premium Features