• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

vacation questions

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
we are taking a family road trip from Mn to see the redwood's. we are going around march 5th and probably head straight to the coast and then south. what are some see must destinations in the state, mainly on the coast line? how about snow in some of the passes? we will be driving a front wheel drive ford edge with snow tires and don't want to get into trouble following some computerized trip planner that takes me of a 12,000' peak because it was the shortest route and we get stuck in 5' of snow, run out of gas after 5 days and have to burn the car, and then we all freeze to death while we walk for help in swim suits and flip flops and think fawk we should of just went to flordia again. also how much is there to see on the coast? we have 9 days and we figure 4 at the most for travel there and home which leaves us 5 days on the coast. so just wondering if we go down the coast and then back track home after 7 days or leave alittle early and head east from north cali to death valley vegas moab and home?
any in put is appreciated

Last edited:
K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
I would recommend taking a different route each way like you mentioned. I would strongly recommend the Oregon Coast and continue down 101 into California and the Redwoods. That section of the coast is more beautiful then the redwoods in my opinion, very rocky with many beautiful lookouts and attractions. If you plan to come in on I-84 you can pass through Portland and head out to the coast on hwy-26/hwy-6. I would look into Cape Perpetua lookout, Winchester Bay Dunes, or many of the other state parks along that route.

On the way back Grants pass, crater lake (pretty touristy though...) and the outskirts of Bend are all pretty cool areas. Otherwise the Nevada idea would be pretty cool as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about snow on the passes the way this year has been going...

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Being early March it is still technically "Winter" which you can't tell by looking outside, but some of the high elevation stops might be closed at that time. Crater Lake is cool. I was originally thinking you could rent a couple sleds from Diamond Lake and ride in, but the snow is very low at this time.

The trip through Portland could take you through to McMinnville where there is a decent air museum:

http://evergreenmuseum.org/

Otherwise, the southern Oregon Coast and Northern CA is pretty cool. Huge trees and a good chance of seeing elk. Quad/dune buggy rentals along the stretch from Florence to Coos Bay if you are into that type of thing where you can ride along the dunes at the lap of the Pacific Ocean.

I know there is more to see and do, but I'm drawing a blank ( ).

Premium Features