• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Belt for high power/boost

Goinbyyabig

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2015
Hi guys. Looking for opinions on what belt is the best for durability and performance for a turbo application. I have read some comments on how Yamaha belts are good, etc. and not sure what I will run. Application is a M1000 engine in an IQR chassis with a turbo. Should be (advertised) 240 HP on pump gas, and maybe 300HP on good fuel, higher boost. I need to custom mount the engine, so if a change in center distance is a good thing, I'd like to consider it now. Currently it's 10.625, and if anything I would want to be shorter, not longer. Probably will start with a Cat primary, and a Team Tied secondary. May go with an aftermarket primary eventually, depends if I feel it's needed.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I'm not much help with your question but would love to see pictures of this sled.
With the old m1000 in her she going to rip!
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
If you can get your center to center closer I would definitely run the Yamaha apex belt, $55.00 and very strong. You may have to shim your primary clutch spider as its a bit narrow than the m1000 belt. I was thinking about putting a m8 in a pol pro chassis and have thought about this.. Also one thing to keep in mind is how much lead or clutch side motor pushed forward in allowance for the hp motor rock back under full load? Stock sleds have about .060 lead on the alignment bar.. We have done .100 with stock durometer mounts.. This is one of the bigger challenges in motor swap and Big HP

Last edited:

Goinbyyabig

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2015
I would certainly be interested in any input or thoughts on how much "lead" to put in the motor mounts and or angle. I have only ever owned and tuned about 180 hp in a sled. Should I be using a stiff duro motor mount set in this? Any idea what the center distance is on the Yamaha sled that the belt is meant for? Maybe a part number for it? I'm not sure what will fit in the chassis and with the water pump location. I should have the motor in a week or two. I will know better then what options I have.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
If you keep the Factory belt sizes

the 046 holds up better than the 060, and is half the price, I pay around $60 shipped for a new 1 on Ebay. on my 07 with full speedwerx, and my 09 with full SLP, i would only get about 400-500 miles on the 060 belts, but been doing alot better with the 046 on my Boosted m8's. I also gained about 150rpm with the 046 on the m1000. but agree on the Team secondary, maybe you could utilize the new 2016 clutch setup with team primary also. I feel the new 2016 setup should be bullet proof.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Well you will need to get a older Polaris type clutch alignment too to use for measuring your lead. The older Polaris alignment tool hookes on the back of the primary clutch and sits outside the secondary. If you remove the bolt on the secondary and slide it in or out to the tool, the front/forward edge of the secondary clutch should touch the tool and the rear side of the secondary clutch should have 60 thou gap. thats a 60 thou lead if you want more pull the mag side of your motor back towards the jackshaft and it will increase. We built 1200 wc 250 hp sleds and had 90 duro mounts and only needed 60 thou lead. With softer mounts I would increase it to 75-80 thou.. you will have to test and readjust if if your off on this... so make your mag side mounts adjustable if possible. If its easier to chat on the phone about it, send me our number in a pm..

Premium Features