• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Determining the value of a Highly Customized Mod-Sled??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
True enough.
But I never met anyone who built a mod sled looking to maximize their return on investment.
For me it was a HUGE learning experience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
True enough.
But I never met anyone who built a mod sled looking to maximize their return on investment.
For me it was a HUGE learning experience

Don't feel bad it happens to the best of us....Over the years I have invested well over 100K in mod sleds only to recoup a very small fraction of my investment ....Whats even more ridiculous I would snow check a new sled ever year. :face-icon-small-con

Stay away from off shore power boats 10K per foot to build and when you go to sell 3k per foot is what the market bares.

DPG

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
As previously stated, it's whatever someone is willing to pay.
I say if someone has their wallet open, take what they are offering, don't get emotionally attached and move on.
You may only get one buyer in the next 6 months so it's gonna be a tough sell.
Sled looks great btw.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Don't feel bad it happens to the best of us....Over the years I have invested well over 100K in mod sleds only to recoup a very small fraction of my investment ....Whats even more ridiculous I would snow check a new sled ever year. :face-icon-small-con

Stay away from off shore power boats 10K per foot to build and when you go to sell 3k per foot is what the market bares.

DPG

I used to build those boats.
BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
interesting.
I thought I had been told repeatedly that their engines did not stand up well to boost over time.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
My best guess on it's value would be $8500- $ 10,000 here in canada
I have an 08 nytro with roughly $40 k in it and would be lucky to get $11-12 k for it
I would keep the Kmod and install it in the viper, I have already asked Kevin and with different cross shafts it will work.

I would agree, I was going to say 8-10, 10g consider yourself lucky, 8 I think is more realistic, seeing what the mod nytros have been going for.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I have four kids.
That why I have two nytros and two phasers!

Your just mean. Aren't you lol. Sorry just a joke, don't ban me lol.

Never "invest" more than you can throw away when it comes to sleds. And,, you have to realize (another motto I follow lol) "You never own anything you just rent it!" lol. Even a Yamaha.

I've had a bit of luck (maybe 50% success) over the years getting rid of my projects. I start "selling" my sled (getting rid of my rental?? lol) about Feb.
You always have the weekend days when there are lots of people around. If someone is ohing and ahing the thing I`m riding I introduce myself and shake hands etc. Then offer a ride and talk it up. If your comfortable and confident in your build It`s not wrong. Some years I have had 5 people very interested. They know me, I know them, they know the sled and they know where it is being traded into and I pass on the names to my dealer.
Most people will be much more comfortable buying off of a dealer. Warranty or not. Don`t know why but it is what I have found.

I always trade in to save the tax. Up here it is pretty big. When I sno-check I work with the dealer no matter what it takes. I leave with a best case scenario and a worse case scenario for difference in trade in price. You have to make it worth their time. It is a business and I pay my way to use their expertise.
I want my sled at a dealer. They get far more hits than you will. The sales guys do this for a living and they have many options they are familiar with for financing etc. That last 2 grand you don`t have may only be 35 dollars a month lol. Bottom line for the dealer is to have zero cash outlay until the last possible min. Just make sure you sign some papers so it is insured under their shop policy.
I make sure the sled looks better than new and get it to the dealer as soon as he will allow. If it is to sit in the yard I provide a cover and check on it once in a while to keep it shiny lol and pump up they sales guys. You never know when somebody out of the blue sees your sled as a must have and starts the rental process all over lol.

As for stripping back to stock or not. I.ve done both. Most times the dealer tends to request that because it`s easier to sell something that is cheaper-stocker.
If the parts don`t fit the next rental you are getting IMO it is a waste of time. I spend the time it takes to R and R the stuff and put it towards pushing the advantages of the mods to the buyer and-or sales guys.
You might get 50 cents on the dollar for the stuff installed, maybe only 25 cents, but you will get lowballed to less than that if it`s in a box and only fits older models and a select few people who want to mod an older model.
You have to value your time in this equation too.

As for your Yamaha and it`s value. It is what the buyer will pay and I`m not a very good guy to get that price from lol.

Last edited:

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
ALL you fraken nut balls saying you invested money into selds are delusional. You simply spent that money.

Invest: Expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit or material growth result.

Maybe I'm to narrow in my definition but I don't believe that having fun would be considered a profit or material growth.

With that said I'm in the same type of situation. Bought Exit shocks all the way around and the Timbersled Mountain Tamer suspension but now I'm looking at a newer sled. What to do with the old?

I think that if we really can't handle the thought (or the reality) of that much depreciation on aftermarket items then a stock sled would be the proper direction to go. As for me, I will continue to buy used when I can or look for good springtime sales!!!! Last year Timbersled has 25% off sale in May and then the place I bought it from gave me a bit more on top of that 25%. So I got a $2,650 suspension for $1950.

Hope for the best and good luck.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
ALL you fraken nut balls saying you invested money into selds are delusional. You simply spent that money.

Invest: Expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit or material growth result.

Maybe I'm to narrow in my definition but I don't believe that having fun would be considered a profit or material growth.

With that said I'm in the same type of situation. Bought Exit shocks all the way around and the Timbersled Mountain Tamer suspension but now I'm looking at a newer sled. What to do with the old?

I think that if we really can't handle the thought (or the reality) of that much depreciation on aftermarket items then a stock sled would be the proper direction to go. As for me, I will continue to buy used when I can or look for good springtime sales!!!! Last year Timbersled has 25% off sale in May and then the place I bought it from gave me a bit more on top of that 25%. So I got a $2,650 suspension for $1950.

Hope for the best and good luck.

And on some days AKA deep powder day that $1950 suspension investment you made felt just like a stock suspension. :face-icon-small-sho

DPG

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Some years are better than others....FYI, I had 16 deep powder day this season 60% in BC 40% in Wyo. just under 1100 miles on the XM for the season. :face-icon-small-hap

DPG

Last edited:

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I would agree, I was going to say 8-10, 10g consider yourself lucky, 8 I think is more realistic, seeing what the mod nytros have been going for.

hit nail on the head. with new viper out I think the nytro is going to be even harder to sell. I got 12500 for my totally modded out cr nytro done to the nuts. and I had to take a bunch on trade and sell it to get 12,500.00 knowing the viper will be the exact same way I'm still going to get a boost it viper. lol

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Hate to say it. But what Kinger9 said x2. best to part it out and sell it stock. At times you are lucky to get 1k -2k more than stock. You can probable find a 2012 Turbo for $9000 this time of year.

Premium Features