• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

415 pound (american) 250hp mountain sled

R
Nov 26, 2007
East Chester Idaho
Checked out the Crazy Mountain Extreme shop the other day and was excited to hear about their fuel injected 800 turbo project. Everything about those sleds is trick and they're known for dependability but I'm not sure about the trailing arm suspension. Did everyone go away from trailing arms just for the rider forward platform or is it archaic for other reasons? Would you go for a hundred pound heavier 300 horse turbo yami if the price was the same?

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
i think its cool that they are stepping up there game... however you said they are known for their dependabilty... I sure hope you are talking about the 800 motors and not CMX themselves.. because the only thing you could count on with their other sleds was towing it home

R
Nov 26, 2007
East Chester Idaho
Can't you do a turbo yammi for about 10k less than a cmx?

I think you can make a heavy one but to get one within 100#'s of a cmx it seems to me they'll be about the same price. The motor probably won't last as long but if you put the $30/tank you saved not buying special gas in a jar everytime you filled up.....I don't know, I'll probably be riding my ski-doo anyway but if I fell in a puddle of money I might consider the lighter sled.

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
How much do the CMX's run anyway? $30k? Looks like it would be a fun sled to have, but not for that kind of money.

I have had one steering arm fail (tie end "light weight billet crap")..lost steering on one ski, still rode all day and had a blast....in wheelies I made a new move and its called helicopter helicopter.....and so on

And for the motor 1200 twin based of AC has always ran top notch (but was set up by brent Linderman so I figure it doesn't count as a PSI motor since they are all junk????)...I have been towed out once, stator failed....So I say for a way over 200hp twin motor I can't complain....espacially keeping in consideration half of the new sleds I am around all have been back at the dealer for something and a few with some serious issues like PTO failure, drive shaft failure, reeds, out of phase, bad gearing, poor cooling, 40 miles on first clutch belt and know you guys could make this list alot longer...with these newer sleds you almost have to change a few thing in order to make then work in the conditions we put them.....

So from my experience CMX is far from junk but yet an inovator to our sport thats has been putting the manufactors on a more of a fast track of making quality sleds ion all forms....

Hats of to Mark and anyone invator in this sport...it takes stiff compentition to make quality products and failure is prone to be part of a bumpy road to success of this nature???

But what do I know!!!

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
what more could you want?
Edge bulkhead and plastics
Avids instead of Wahls
Usable headlight.

Maybe a person should just see if Fabcraft would build one of their Nemisis chassis and send it over to CMX for the engine work ;) Would probably wind up about the same $$

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Some of you might be suprised....but Fabcraft and CMX do a lot of work together.

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
Some of you might be suprised....but Fabcraft and CMX do a lot of work together.

yep thats why fabcrafts chassis is set up for the rolled chain case or the CMX belt drive.

and that belt drive is sweet.

Premium Features