• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

qualifications for snowmobile guide

K
Jan 14, 2012
east bethel, MN
Hi, im 16 and from the first trip i took to the mountains even at 9 years old I have been dead set on moving out to wy or somewere in that region when I graduate high school. I have some fair amount of backountry expierience, I also race dirt bikes so I know my way around an engine pretty well but I know i cant just jump right into guideing so what are some qualifications/preffered things guide services look for in their guides and were would be a good place to start.

any info would be great!!!:yo:

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
AST 1

I would start by taking an AVY 1 class. Secondly I would strongly suggest a Wilderness First Responder class...commonly called WFR. This is NOT the same as Wilderness First Aid; It is much more in depth and focused on stabilization long term....Lastly work on your riding skills and being "backcountry savvy" as I like to say.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
My son is currently guiding in his 2nd season in Steamboat Springs, Co. He is swamped right now shut should slow down here soon. Shoot me an email and ill get ya his info if your really serious. Have a good one. EW. EricW@centurytel.net

N
Sep 19, 2008
McCall, ID
I guided for Cottonwood Country Snowmobile Tours in Colorado for a few seasons. A few quick hints:

*Take a few public speaking courses or practice speaking to crowds. If you have to give the pre-ride speech and can conduct yourself professionally, people will respect your trail rules and will compensate you at the end of the ride. Try to come across as an authority on all things snowmobiling, not just a good rider.

*WFR course would be ideal.

*Being in good physical condition (if you ride a lot you'll be fine) is a must.

*Learn about timber/tree species, geology, weather patterns, wildlife, etc. A lot of clients are from areas where they don't get to see what we see and they have a lot of questions about the areas they might be riding in.

S
Aug 11, 2011
MT
backcountry savvy is a must, if you don't know the way of the land your just as clueless as the people your guiding, and i'd like to think that if i pay someone to take me to a remote area they should know it like the back of their hand. So study study study on the plant and wildlife, and make sure your backcountry repair skills are in line incase anything breaks way way out deep in the mtns, just my .02

ekingland

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2009
get experience

this applies with any newbie to any profession. find the most experienced person (s) you can and learn from them. if you find one, offer to be an intern, shoveler, oiler, greaser, cleaner, or any crap job they offer for FREE. In exchange you gain knowledge and experience and the pay will come later. at some point if you earn it, you'll start to get paid. from there, you keep building

no matter the career choice you have to pay your dues and work up from the bottom. picking your passion will make the lean years more worth it.

Premium Features