• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled lift and sled dolly pics and plans

D
Nov 30, 2007
Bozeman MT
Made a sled lift from plans I got off doo talk. posted everyhting (pics and plans) here: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17822
wish I would have added one inch in width to better clear a 16" track. So the PDF and DXF plans have the 1" added. I have around $100.00 into it. $42 for the jack and the rest in steel. I removed the crank handle and drilled a 1/2" drive deepwell impact socket secured it with a 1/4" bolt and run it up and down with air impact wrench.

and the dolly plans are here: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17814

Had the wheels and about $50 for steel. Travis

Last edited:
E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I modded the screw jack to take an impact for raising/lowering as well. For me it didn't last (maybe because of Apex back then). I saw this air over hyd cylinder at Harbor Tools for converting a standard cherry picker. The air runs a flutter valve that strokes the hyd cylinder valve so you just connect the air hose, press the thumb switch and up she goes. Comes down with the regular release valve. They were $65 complete a year ago.

Nice plans. Also have the Mar-Lift and love it too. EW

100_4559.jpg

000_0228.jpg

000_0226.jpg

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Had to do a little fab for mounting but no big deal. The air/hyd jack came from here CLICKY. They had them on sale last week with free shipping if I remember right. Phone the order and work on 'em a bit, usually they will drop the price or honor past shipping promo's. Good luck. EW

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
sweet

thanks alot and you just used the plans above and I need to add an inch add and inch of width for a skud? This is sweet!!!! DId you still get good lift height?

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I didn't go from plans. I just bought a lift from harbor or Northern Tool (can't remember). I just removed the OEM screw jack and installed the air/hyd cylinder. I think I had to widen the casters as well. Lift height was more than enough. Amazon has this one. I haven't looked at the plans, that might be a sturdier way to go if you can fab.

This may sound excessive, but the last year or so I have done most of my work from a small forklift. I built a set of rails that slide over the forks and I am able to use a small lift I found on Craigslist for $1200 to do 90% of the work I want to do as well as load and handle sleds with ease. No more plowing through mud in the early/late season. No more belt smoke going up and down from the sled deck for maint. I also use it to load the enclosed trailer direct from the shop floor so no tearing up the shop yard or tracking crap into the trailer or shop. That lift has been a life and back saver. Well worth the investment if you can find one cheap. You will find you use it to move trailers around the yard, pick your deck in and out, lift anything with a flat or to change tires, load/unload fuel barrels, change bulbs in the shop, lift your other toys, bikes, atv's, all kinds of things. Good luck. EW

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
sled lift

Thanks,

I think I am going to just go ahead and build one but use your jack idea. I have a skid steer and a hoist at my shop so I have done what you are talking about as well it is nice. I do no have a sled deck but just a little two placer for most weekends. If more than three sleds need to go I have to hook on to a tandem axle fifth wheel it is a bugger to load but it does the job. Thanks for the info.
Levi

Premium Features