• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjust throttle/oil pump cable on 2008 700RMK

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
Something came loose on my sled and suddenly I had 1/2" of throttle freeplay. I adjusted the cable adjuster on the handlebars to get me through the day but now the pump is using a ton of oil. I'm going to pull the airbox to check the throttle cable but need more info about the oil pump setting. Is there a notch on the pump arm that needs to be lined up when the throttle is at idle? Just don't wanna cook the engine by accident.

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
After diving in, I found removing the airbox on this sled to be trivial. After removing the plastic cover that holds the spare belt and covers the electrical system, I pulled the MAF sender off of the left side of the air box (one bolt) and the bolt holding the EFI filter on the side of the air box. With a screwdriver, I then pried the plastic holder off of the EFI filter, undid the rubber strap on the back of the air box, and just wiggled the airbox up and forward. It came right out.

The lower lock nut on the throttle cable was completely off, and I assume it came loose causing the upper nut that actually adjusts the cable at the throttlebodies to loosen up completely, hence where all the freeplay came from. I have the freeplay set properly again, but am a bit concerned that the oil pump setting is still correct. Looking around, I guess it has to be under the throttlebodies but can't actually see anything below them.

K

krat

Jul 30, 2008
Montreal, Qc, Canada
07-08 700 dragon/rmk oil pump
krat
07-08oilpump.jpg

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
So where is the oil pump actually hidden away at? Under the throttlebodies? Or somewhere else I overlooked?

K

krat

Jul 30, 2008
Montreal, Qc, Canada
should be under the intake boots. if what you see is the water pump, then the oil pump is on the other side of the engine (other end of the crossshaft)
krat

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
That doesn't appear to be what the pump arm on my sled looks like. I pulled the throttlebodies out of the boots and can get a mirror down in there. I don't see a stamped mark on the arm, but there is a bump on it's edge.

K

krat

Jul 30, 2008
Montreal, Qc, Canada
i know it's very hard to see sometimes. spray some lube to clean it.
on the previous picture the mark is at 12 o'clock, but on mine (900) the mark is at 3o'clock

oilpump900.jpg

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
Man. Adjusting the cable is an unbelievable pain in the *** on this sled. keeeripes. Just not enough room to really get your hands in there and spin wrenches partially because of the EFI components.

Is there a better way to go about this? Adjust the cable slack in the adjuster up on the handlebar until the oil pump lines up properly, and then adjust the cable adjuster down on the throttlebodies so that there is a little slack in the cable? Sure seems like that'd be easier. The fact that there isn't an idle screw on the oil pump makes me think this might be an easier way.

Last edited:
K

krat

Jul 30, 2008
Montreal, Qc, Canada
well at the handlebar (or half way in the cable) the adjustment is for the play up there for the micro-switches.
first you should disconnect the cable at the throttle actuator (handlebar). then remove the TPS cable, coolant hose, and remove the throttle body.
you should have enough room to work on the oil cable.
afterwards reinstall the throttle body and adjust its cable (don't put tight)
at the end you reinstall the cable at the handlebar

K

krat

Jul 30, 2008
Montreal, Qc, Canada
if you have that little oil cable that goes from the throttle-body to the oil pump lever, then I don't remember how to adjust it with the throttle-body in place. I took it off and installed the FBF (frenchy fat boy) dual-cable.

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
I think it's adjusted properly now. Triple-checked and the oil pump lever on my sled does not have notches stamped in it. On the outside edge of the lever there is a little pointer instead that's part of the stamped steel part.

Premium Features