• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick Drive Belt teeth sheared - Fluke?

B
Oct 14, 2008
I installed a Silber turbo on my 2015 800 Pro and took it out for a ride this last weekend. Sled ran great and Kudos to Silber for putting together a great kit. This is not a knock on them at all.

I was being very easy to the sled. I climbed a small hill and on the way up I caught something with my track and "hooked up". At that same time a small portion of teeth on my final drive belt sheared off. I was able to ride the sled back to the truck and grabbed my wifes sled and had a great rest of the day.

Here is my question - What have others experienced? I talked with Silber this morning and they said that this is very uncommon. I know that it does/will happen but I want to know if I should consider an aftermarket belt drive kit or replace with the Polaris belt. Based on what I have heard this was likely a "fluke" - possible belt defect and am considering trying another Polaris belt. Just looking for some good discussion/input around REAL LIFE experience before spending any money.

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I seen this alot on the 13 belt drive. Probably 12 ish belts in our area done this. Try the fire and ice belt defector.

Last edited:

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
This is the first I've heard of it and several people have been running turbos on them this year. I only have 3 rides on my turbo but didn't see any problems. 1100 total miles on it.

How many miles on the belt?

B
Oct 14, 2008
This is the first I've heard of it and several people have been running turbos on them this year. I only have 3 rides on my turbo but didn't see any problems. 1100 total miles on it.

How many miles on the belt?

I only have about 500 miles on the belt and about 10 miles with the Turbo. I have been reading that these belts are supposed to be "broken in". I bought the sled with about 150 miles on it so i am not sure how it was "broke in". Glad to hear that you are having luck with the stock belt and a Turbo. What Turbo are you running?

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Running the Silber pump gas setup. I always carry a spare belt with me just in case. A buddy of mine turbo'd his 14 pro this year too and on the second ride broke cogs off the quickdrive, but it had 2000+ miles on the belt as well. From what I hear, shock loading isn't good on cogs...

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
I've stripped one as well.. enough to limp back to the truck on my turbo... doing fire n ice this summer to help prevent... carry a spare as well, not worth getting stranded.

B
Oct 14, 2008
I've stripped one as well.. enough to limp back to the truck on my turbo... doing fire n ice this summer to help prevent... carry a spare as well, not worth getting stranded.

Did it happen at a random time or did something happen to "shock load" the belt? Thanks for the input.

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Did it happen at a random time or did something happen to "shock load" the belt? Thanks for the input.

"shock load" for mine... full go and dropped into a track and just kept the wick lit... I knew it was a bad idea.. but there where people watching...

Last edited:
N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
In deep snow you are safe but any chance of catching a stump or something on track and you can easily strip your drive belt and even worse break the whole thing.. I run silber on two sleds... My 2.6 belt drive spring sled I use a belt tensioner from TKI... It will save you from this. Small investment for good security.

B
Oct 14, 2008
In deep snow you are safe but any chance of catching a stump or something on track and you can easily strip your drive belt and even worse break the whole thing.. I run silber on two sleds... My 2.6 belt drive spring sled I use a belt tensioner from TKI... It will save you from this. Small investment for good security.

Thanks for the Info. I talked with Tom this Morning and by the time that I by 2 belts (one to replace the broken one and one for a spare) and the tensioner I might as well spend the little extra money and upgrade to the full TKI setup. Thoughts on this?

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Riding partner has a Kurt's kit on his 14 with a silber and had good luck this winter after he got it dialed in... went to the larger width belt and cogs and he didn't break another one. He rides a touch more aggressive than I do as well.

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
On a pro I would swap to the full tki set up but on axys I would say it's un needed.. A tensioner on axys will be enough in my experience my buddy got 3000 miles on his w tensioner and swapped drive belts every 1000 just because

B
Oct 14, 2008
On a pro I would swap to the full tki set up but on axys I would say it's un needed.. A tensioner on axys will be enough in my experience my buddy got 3000 miles on his w tensioner and swapped drive belts every 1000 just because

Thanks for the info! Out of curiosity what is different on the axys that has you saying you think just the tensioner would be sufficient and not for a pro?

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
I believe since 15 or 2014 they are the updated quick drive system. However the hardware is better grade as far as bolts etc goes... The belts do have diff part numbers compared to pro though. Justin at silber told me on the axys they never had issues on boost so I didn't worry only except during spring low snow times of getting a stump or something while pegged then he said bump to the tki tensioner for insurance

Premium Features