• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 pro overheats, any fix

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
Thanks for all the advice, I do appreciate it..
I also like the idea of the fender washer in place of the thermostat. I'm anal about letting them warm up and I keep a close eye on the temps.

fastlane

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
southern Minnesota
The bypass thermostat does make a big difference, my 14 runs 95-105 in snow, 125 down trail with scratchers down, my 13 and this 14 without trs upgrade would easily be in 140+ range on trail. Also working it in trees or climbing the temps would spike and it would start to lose rpm. I also have the reversible scratchers posted above they work great.

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
The bypass thermostat does make a big difference, my 14 runs 95-105 in snow, 125 down trail with scratchers down, my 13 and this 14 without trs upgrade would easily be in 140+ range on trail. Also working it in trees or climbing the temps would spike and it would start to lose rpm. I also have the reversible scratchers posted above they work great.

X2!!
The TRS Bypass kit ($28 Fix kit) is all you need!! When I went to the RK Tek Drop in Kit a few years ago, my sled was running in the 140's and the sled would fall on its face... I installed the $28 Fix kit and my sled runs 109-114 in powder and 125-135 on the trails; also it solved the falling on it's face issue!! I have lots of friends with other pro's and mine runs 20-30 degrees cooler on the trails!!
If you go this route, buy the Gates heat-shrink clamps!! They make the kit look clean and you do not have any leaks!!

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
How do I get the TRS bypass kit? I would buy two of them.
There is a DIY thread for this somewhere on snowest forums, thought I had it bookmarked, can't find it now. Snowest search does not work as well as google so you might be able to find it that way, if you do post it back here...

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
$28 upgrade threads

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352623

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339282

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367303

For what it's worth both Rodger's sports and I sell complete kits. Or you can source them yourself, there are part numbers / dimensions in the referenced threads.

More Pics of what it looks like here http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394555
This one has been sold

I have plenty of stock on hand, PM me if you want.

****NOTE: This upgrade is not intended to counter habitual overheating woes, it is to moderate the cold shock when restarted after a short break when the supercooled coolant from the coolers is cycled to the heat soaked engine. A side benefit is it typically runs 10-20 degrees cooler as well, but in marginal snow the only recourse is add more cooler or pack snow with you in a bag / box on top of the tunnel.

Last edited:
R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
Without starting a new thread can someone tell me the coolant capacity on a 14 pro with a 155" track. I am wanting to completely drain the coolant and mix up a concoction of a bottle of water wetter, and anti-freeze. If I can add the water wetter and the rite amount of coolant mixed all to be around -30 it may help, not a fix but it might help. I know the stuff works in my atv and keeps it running cooler.

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
Without starting a new thread can someone tell me the coolant capacity on a 14 pro with a 155" track. I am wanting to completely drain the coolant and mix up a concoction of a bottle of water wetter, and anti-freeze. If I can add the water wetter and the rite amount of coolant mixed all to be around -30 it may help, not a fix but it might help. I know the stuff works in my atv and keeps it running cooler.

From the service manual:

5.3 quarts/5 litres

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
FYI, they will heat up quickly if you're just putting around through marginal snow or on hard pack snow or ice. I don't know what kind of winter time temps you get, but I thin out the antifreeze mix so it''ll protect to around -30*F. Antifreeze doesn't like to absorb heat like water does. I believe Polaris sends them out with a mix for -50*F which I believe is a 50/50 mix.

Things to check:

Thermostats on each work.

Bleed the cooling system to remove any air. It's common to get air trapped in the tunnel coolers if not bled properly.

I have used the Ice Storm scratchers and can yell you that there is nothing better for creating an massive snow spray into the track. I think GoBigParts sells them.

Thanks! Here is the link: http://www.gobigparts.com/ICE-STORM-REVERSIBLE-ICE-SCRATCHER-BY-OVER-THE-TOP-PERFORMANCE.html

Premium Features