• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What sled for backup / friends / girlfriend

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I've had buddy sleds, the wife's sled as spares for years and will always have a backup sled. IMO the best thing you can do is have 2 of the same. This makes doing everything from basic maintenance to carrying spare parts in the trailer much easier. I prefer the Pro.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
whatever you buy she probably wont like it after the first ride anyway.LOL

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Oh its for me first of all hence wanting something different from my 800 XM 163. But I would like her to be able to ride it. If she likes it she can buy her own next year lol.

I kinda agree on the 800, not sure what the point in a 600 is. its not like a motorcycle where a 250 4t vs a 500 4t gets you in trouble real fast.

I think I will demo some that I like and let her try my 800 see what she thinks.

Buy what you want if its for you... The 6 is fun but I wouldn't get one for myself. I'm 6' 200lbs though.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Dude, YOU made THAT rule when you told me I was wrong. Your wifes preference clearly carries more wieght than mine, clearly....

Explain to me what makes a 600 better than an 800 for anyone not looking simply at price. It isn't like an 800 Pro has "rip your arms off power" or something. Crazy...

Less rotating mass = quicker handling. Noticeable.

Requires less throttle control for new riders./

Most gf/wives are substantially lighter than us.

Not as "scary" as the 800.

Them are my reasons... Unless your girl is one of them can hang with the boys all day girls then maybe the 6 isn't enough.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
What to get her depends on how frequently she will ride and whether she will ride off trail with you. Craigslist is littered with sleds that are advertised as "wife ridden" to give you an idea of good intentions gone awry.

I was in similar situation and I got my wife a 2007 RMK 700 (IQ Chassis) She loves it and with a pipe and can, it is only 4 mph slower in top speed across a frozen lake covered in powder. My wife doesn't ride much (two 4-5 day weekend getaways and perhaps 2-3 times after that in a season) so buying her a new sled didn't make sense for us. However, keeping her 98 RMK 600 with a 136" track (1.75" lugs) didn't make sense either because she got stuck one too many times on it and I wanted her something that could handle fresh powder on or off the trail.

A lightly used IQ 700 sled (55 hours total time on engine with about 700 miles) was our best course of action. It is a very capable sled and I enjoy riding it as a backup sled.

My wife has no problem riding my 800 Pro either and she is only 5'2". She is fairly cautious but the Pro's power delivery is very smooth and consistent compared to her old carbureted 600 which was very peaky with an unfriendly powerband. If your wife intends to ride often than a lightly used or new 800 Pro would be just fine. Having the extra power won't hurt and will always be available if she needs it....no reason why you can't leave stock springs/weights on there and then tune clutches for more power once she gets better or more comfortable with the 800.

Good luck and let us know what you decide upon.

Last edited:
K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
What to get her depends on how frequently she will ride and whether she will ride off trail with you.

I was in similar situation and I got my wife a 2007 RMK 700 (IQ Chassis) She loves it and with a pipe and can, it is only 4 mph slower in top speed across a frozen lake covered in powder. If she will ride with you as often as you do than a lightly used or leftover Pro RMK 800 is probably your best bet or a new one if you can spare the cash.

Good luck and let us know what you decide upon.

I cant imagine her riding off trail much in the first season. probably cruising the trail up to elk lake for a beer. So its really not going to matter what she rides.

But It will matter when I ride it since it really will be mine.

Whats the difference in 2011 RMK's vs 2012 + ? ( looking at a 2011 used, and a 2013 and 14 new leftover. )

I would probably just get another XM.. but they are quite a bit more and there is NO leftovers.. there is lots of leftover Pro's and RMK's

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
I ride a 2014 Doo summit 163". ( and love it )

Thinking about getting a RMK or RMK pro as a backup and for the girlfriend or whoever else.

Would a 144 600 be pretty fun?. spring sled? ( would sure fit on my deck better )

Or a 155.

Why would one pick a 600 over an 800 other than the 1k price difference?

Thanks

Edit: Oh yea what exactly is the diffrence between the RMK and the RMK Pro? Is it just the a-arms, schocks and chain drive? chassis the same?

I have question too: I am driving Fiat 500, and dunno what to make my backup vehicle - Lamborgini or Ferrari?

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
LOL. yes sorry kinda a opinion question.
I guess my real questions are.

Whats the point in a 600? other than saving 1000. Is it lighter?

Whats the difference between RMK and RMK Pro ( I think I figured that out though, chain on crankcase, solid a-arms..anything else? )

Whats the difference in 2011 vs 2012+ RMK's? the body looks different for sure but I don't know much about them.

Last edited:

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
If I remember correctly,

PRO: Better boards, Pro Taper handlebars, walker evans shocks, belt drive, 155 track, 20 lbs lighter

RMK: Old school boards and handlebars, RydeFX shocks, chain drive, 144/155 track

Not sure if the driveshaft is different.

But don't hold me too it.

I bought my woman a 2014 Carls 660 and she's only ridden it once, due to it being a college graduation gift. She loves it, but she also did very well for a female on a 2000 600 RMK. The one time we took it out last May, I had a blast throwing it around in the spring snow. You will most likely be riding your backup just as much as your 800. I know I will. I recommend going PRO chassis. If you go with the RMK, I recommend 155 track, she will be able to advance into it, and if you ride it, are you going to want a 144 under you? Question should be what would both of you want to ride!!!! I do recommend getting her the Fly Next Level Bars, Pro Tapers are just a touch to tall for my woman, those Fly's are perfect height for her.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
OP,
Here you go, http://www.powerworldsports.com/200...m?id=614066&used=1&fm=2&vin=SN1PM7JS380352492 I'm headed up to the area camping this Holiday weekend and can take a look at it for you. It has a new motor and is identical to my wife's sled

I'm sure they can hold it for you until you drive down with your sled and wife to take a long winter weekend at Grand Lake which is consistently in top 10 places to sled in the USA.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
The 144 is a different rear suspension. It rides nice but is heavier and doesn't get on the snow like the 155 suspension.

I purchased a used 600 155 as a back up/ kids sled. I also have a back up 800 155. The 600 my kids like more as it seems lighter and easier to handle. Most of the time the get stuck less on the 600 as they don't end up in the trees as often. For me the 800 is better, but for a new rider that 600 is sweet.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If I remember correctly,

PRO: Better boards, Pro Taper handlebars, walker evans shocks, belt drive, 155 track, 20 lbs lighter

RMK: Old school boards and handlebars, RydeFX shocks, chain drive, 144/155 track

Not sure if the driveshaft is different.

What he said for RMK vs. 13-15 Pros, plus:

RMK driveshaft is steel. No collars needed. Same brake caliber as pro, solid rotor (the 11/12 pro drilled/vented/lightweight rotors bolt right on a RMK). Different master cylinder on the bars, of course, with old school controls from 99. Different speedo pickup.

RMK has longer front shocks - not interchangeable with 13-15 pros.

RMK has aluminum overstructure, rear bumper vs. CF on pro.

RMK has welded lower a-arms, vs. glued on pro. SAME BOARDS - they are not different, same tunnel, same track, same drivers, same skid geometry and design.

RMK has no fancy stitching on seat, single material type.

RMK has front cooler, always active on a bypass.

Weight difference for 155's is 17lbs dry, maybe about 10 more wet on the snow - front cooler eliminates a big chunk of ice at front of tunnel - I've owned both. The ice chunk is real.

RMK has four additional idlers on skid, and does not come stock with scratchers. You will still want scratchers.

RMK has a solid snowflap, no holes.

Same motor, intake, exhaust, and clutches. Get a 155, so much better all around. I would think the shocks will be shot within 2 seasons, less if you're a hammer (maybe a ride). Sprung softer than a pro, also. These shocks are the Achilles heel of the sled if ridden much, or hard. Lots of options, tho, from used takeoffs to wild custom valved. MH will fill in the rest that I've forgotten.

Last edited:
S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
LOL. yes sorry kinda a opinion question.
I guess my real questions are.

Whats the point in a 600? other than saving 1000. Is it lighter?

Whats the difference between RMK and RMK Pro ( I think I figured that out though, chain on crankcase, solid a-arms..anything else? )

Whats the difference in 2011 vs 2012+ RMK's? the body looks different for sure but I don't know much about them.

1. 600 is solid motor with ~120 HP, and 800 is troubled motor with ~146 HP. To get 800 reliable, you might need spending another $700.

2. difference is explained in one of the posts by mountainhorse. Excellent post by the way. Besdies quality of parts, the bigges difference - RMK Pro doesnt have front tunnel cooler. On trails, or in marginal snow conditions, this makes your ride more nervous - you must be babysitting temperature all the time.
3. there is less difference between 11 and 12 than between 12 and 13. i beleive 12 has some bugs fixed after first year of RMK Pro-Ride production, but nothing major. 14 - that`s the year of big (and still questionnable) improvements.

Taking all that in count, 12 RMK 600 with 155 track is excellent backup sled

Premium Features