• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

track opinion

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
In deep, dry powder... the Stock Polaris Series-5.1, 2.4" lug will do better than the 9104 Camo extreme.

The new design 9174-153" , 9175-162" tracks give up nothing to the Sieries 5.1 in my experience... and are better in setup snow. They are 3" pitch so you will need to change out drivers to 7 tooth drivers... but then you gain clearance... IMO...this is the optimal track swap.

Also...recall that the 155" track length is rounded up from 154.44"... you only are missing out on less than 3/4" of ground track length...

Also...having more clearance helps out... better clearance = more track speed.

I run the 9174 with Avid Power-Claw-Style, 7 tooth drivers and love it... on 2 previous sleds as well.

B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
What's the difference then between the 9174 and the 9104? I thought it was the same track, just a different pitch? Why would the 9174 be the best track ever and the 9104 not be a good powder track?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast

Brappin...
Is this Mike??

The 9104 and the 9174 are Completely different design tracks.

Also, I never said the 9104 was "not a good powder track"... What I said was..the 9104 (original design CE) is not as good, IMO, in the dry pow as the Stock PRO RMK track... and not as good as the 9174 in the dry powder...

The 9104 is a great all around track...but, the 9104, IMO...Suffers from lack of clearance when running stock 8-tooth drivers.
See this Thread by TRS.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374678

The X3... hands down best in dry/deep powder.

The 9104 does excell in All conditions, BUT dry powder, and is no slouch in the dry either... just some that are better.

The design of the 9174/9175 (153/162") versions have benefited from evolution of design, field testing etc.
The 9174/9175 are the precursor to the design of the X3.

The Peak track (great name Huh?)
That IS a great turbo track... It will crawl out of anything with enough track speed...The firm version of the peak is prob the best set up snow track out there.

Every track has it's strong points... For me... IMO...The 9174/9175 is the most "Swiss Army Knife"-like track out there for mountain riding.

I also agree that the X3 can push you around a bit, especially in firm/set snow...Ask Allen, He's a top notch rider and physically bigger than many...
It pushes him around too...but also said that there is nothing like it in the deep stuff.
In dry powder, you will not notice the "push" of the X3.

Imo, for track selection.... Be honest with yourself about what type of riding really is the most important to you and choose your track with that emphasis.
There is a track out there that meets your needs.

attachment.php

tracks.jpg

Last edited:
B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Yeah, it's mike, you guessed it. Thanks for your opinion. I found the tracks USA website and was also looking at the 9230m, which is the multi durometer peak track. I also wouldn't have to change drivers. That might be a good replacement?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
My opinion from riding the 9230....it is still a 2.5" lug... it will work and fit...but less than ideal clearance with the stock 8 tooth...that is a great track for mixed types of snow.

Last edited:

MTN Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2009
Smithers B.C.
Does camoplast offer the 9174/9175 in a center drive? Looked on the camoplast website but there was no option for the center punched version.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
No...Not from the factory.

Tracks USA, I hear, can punch them.... but that would void the warranty in the eyes of Camoplast.

Note/Reminder: The 9174/75 tracks are a different pitch track than stock.

If you are going the driver route...IMO... the PC style 7 tooth drivers with trimmed rails and Anti-stab are the best way to go.

Last edited:

TUFFPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2011
Alberta
I have the 9104 with stock drivers on my 2014 800 RMK. In deep snow its very similar to the stock track. Definitely not better, not sure if id say it was worse either. It does hook up better in more set up conditions though. If I had to do it again I would either stay stock or go with the 9174. IMO the 9104 is not worth the money (assuming your replacing a perfectly fine stock track).

F

fastrack0

Mar 28, 2014
Penticton, BC
Is the stock track that bad? I know the stock track in my nytro was terrible. This is my first rmk so I'm not sure what to think yet :)

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Is the stock track that bad? I know the stock track in my nytro was terrible. This is my first rmk so I'm not sure what to think yet :)

It worked fine the sierras at the end of last year. we had all types of snow conditions.
the only place i found that it sucked, was on down hills.

the power claw 2.6 on my cat pro climb was way better

Premium Features