• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MY 2015 RMK SNOWCHECK!! WOW... WHAT A SLED!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I don't believe the #18 difference the 12 pro was 435 and that sled had the welded arms and heavier seat. The std rmk has the short seat, glued arms if you take the wheels off and put on scratchers there #4 less to I'll bet its closer to 10 difference.

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
Is the stock belt drive working on the Pros? I really like the extra cooling on the standard rmk, but would go with the Pro if the belt drive is working now. I am planning on snowchecking a 15.

R

rugbynitro

Nov 4, 2009
Kamloops, B.C.
Thanks for putting this together MH, I'm sure I wouldn't have considered this until reading your post.

Not sure if this has been addressed but doesn't the regular RMK come with pretty piss poor front and rear track shocks?

I'm aware you get some fantastic shocks up front but are we sure it carries through to the track shocks?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Thanks for putting this together MH, I'm sure I wouldn't have considered this until reading your post.

Not sure if this has been addressed but doesn't the regular RMK come with pretty piss poor front and rear track shocks?

I'm aware you get some fantastic shocks up front but are we sure it carries through to the track shocks?

Good question. Are the needle shocks also for the rear? If not it would give me an excuse to try those Fox Evols.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I agree with Terry... While it does have the WOW factor... If it was the best thing since sliced bread... the Mod guys would have been all over it with the amount of tracks that being changed out there.

As you get longer and longer track lengths... and shorter and shorter ones too... the sweet spot for mountain riders still seems to be the 153 - 163" range with 2.5" paddles ... bigger/heavier riders preferring the 163"... The 3" paddles have plus's and minus's too just like 2", 2.25" and 2.5" tall lugs... EVERY change has a cost and a benefit.

If Polaris announced that it had a 174 x 15 x 3" track option... It would not be me ordering it.... but there would be some that did and SHRED with it.

Heck I know a lot of midwest guys who ride deep snow and venture out west on occassion that wish Polaris made an RMK 144 800. Ski-doo has the 146 in the X package even.. No 174 needed here but it would be nice if they offered it for the BC guys.

S

Skeld

Mar 6, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Good question. Are the needle shocks also for the rear? If not it would give me an excuse to try those Fox Evols.

Good question, I just assumed they were. Silly if they aren't, I think the rear track shock is the most important shock on the sled.

scotts-doo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2011
Minnesota
rear shocks

This is right off polaris.com

Rear Suspension RMK® Coil-Over
Rear Track Shock RydeFX®
Rear Travel (in./cm.) 16 / 40.6

R

rugbynitro

Nov 4, 2009
Kamloops, B.C.
Is the stock belt drive working on the Pros? I really like the extra cooling on the standard rmk, but would go with the Pro if the belt drive is working now. I am planning on snowchecking a 15.

The belt drive has always been working.

There were some earlier failures due to improper break in to the belt dive in the 13's.

Some other failures were due to poor torque specs, but these were rectified in mid 2013 by a Polaris recall. I have a 13 with the recall done and 2000 KM's with no problems (knock on wood).

Very few reported problems on the 14's (with an even stronger belt) so it looks like a pretty solid setup now.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
BC is not all glaciers and alpine. Lot of trees here too lol. A few of us hide in them so I'm pretty sure they could get rid of a few 146x 2.5" RMK's here too.

Alpine starts here about 6000'. It's about 25% of the sleddin land mass with what used to be about 75% of the winter users (sledders-skiers).
I say "used to be" because the underpowered Pro's lol forced many more sledders to stay down here to keep some HP (could be the chassis though lol).
It's getting busier down here but every year the loggers open up something new to use the next season.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I ordered a std rmk for the wife because of the cooler if could have gotten the belt drive with the cooler on a pro I would have went that way. Proper break in and not flying down the trail for miles than stopping and super heating the belt in spot and they will last a long time. After a high speed run I pop the side panel open and stick snow in the top pulley 1000 miles and belt looks great.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The belt drive has always been working.

There were some earlier failures due to improper break in to the belt dive in the 13's.

Some other failures were due to poor torque specs, but these were rectified in mid 2013 by a Polaris recall. I have a 13 with the recall done and 2000 KM's with no problems (knock on wood).

Very few reported problems on the 14's (with an even stronger belt) so it looks like a pretty solid setup now.

I have one 13 800 Pro rmk which has been used as a rental. It has over 6000 miles on it. In the course of it's life the belt drive has cost me more down time than any other part of this sled. It has gone through 4 jackshafts. Thanks to members of snowest forums, this problem has been fully resolved. Makes sure that all components are changed by your dealer if you have this failure, jackshaft, both bearings, and brake rotor, new bolts, washer and torque to 45# with new bolts with fresh Loctite. I have had two of the lower bolts break on the lower drive shaft. Easy out the bolts and replace, not a big procedure, but still down time, and had to be pulled out on the rope. For most people the quick drive is tolerable, but if you are someone that reliability is critical to you, go with the chain case. I only had the belts fail due to my jackshaft problems. This years quick drive belt has run 2500 miles with no failures.

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
I don't see why anyone would snowcheck an assault for $1300 (cad) more than an loaded rmk. Isn't an assault a loaded rmk with a wider stance? Do you get better clicker shocks on the assault than on the rmk option?

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
I have one 13 800 Pro rmk which has been used as a rental. It has over 6000 miles on it. In the course of it's life the belt drive has cost me more down time than any other part of this sled. It has gone through 4 jackshafts. Thanks to members of snowest forums, this problem has been fully resolved. Makes sure that all components are changed by your dealer if you have this failure, jackshaft, both bearings, and brake rotor, new bolts, washer and torque to 45# with new bolts with fresh Loctite. I have had two of the lower bolts break on the lower drive shaft. Easy out the bolts and replace, not a big procedure, but still down time, and had to be pulled out on the rope. For most people the quick drive is tolerable, but if you are someone that reliability is critical to you, go with the chain case. I only had the belts fail due to my jackshaft problems. This years quick drive belt has run 2500 miles with no failures.

Have you had to do anything else to this sled? I bought a 12 standard that was a former rental. Only things I had to do were TPS and EGT sensors. I assume that someone did the top end in the first 3600 miles.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Premium Features