• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo or Big Bore?

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Ordered a new 2015 RMK Scandinavian Beast. Had Boondocker turbo on my last 2013 Assault, and was happy with it, one blown engine but after i did the RkTek and Wössner upgrade it held good, and made alot of power.

This year, im very interested in a RkTek 858 big bore kit, mostly because its cheaper, and you get more bottom end and no turbo lag.

I know im not going to get the same amount of power fron a bb than with a turbo, but would i feel happy with it, or is the difference between a stock and a bb not big enough, to be worth the cash? Or should i just go with a new turbo kit right away?

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
I had a 858 for a back up and I was happy with it, BUT going from that to my turbo there was a huge disappointment...once you go boost, you never go back:face-icon-small-win

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Im under 4000ft. I know BB and turbo can't be compared, but what about stock vs BB? Is it worth it?

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
octane

I don't know about up north, but from my trip to Europe I remember seeing 98 octane pump gas.
You could probably get a pretty snappy high compression BB with that fuel.

I'm probably going big bore (858) this year also because most of my riding is below 1200ft. With the occasional 9000ft trip

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Thanks for the inputs.

Anybody else got first hand experience with the RkTek kit?

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
I'm riding Eric's (2nd post) backup now, as he says if you go from Turbo to BB, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a solid 10% (give or take) power over stock then BB is good way to get it. It has that little extra for when the stock 800 has met it's match. Very snappy and linear power band which is typical of the Pro. We ride 9000+ and I have the 15.1 head which requires a fuel blend. I would guess that with clutching, BD Box and good can you will have over $3k invested. Turbo guys in Utah say they can Turbo this for just over $7k with a Vipec, so BB for now Turbo down the road. Good luck.

J

jonasumb

Nov 27, 2012
Boise/McCall Idaho
Just let you guys know that Turbos are last year, This winter 14/15 will be the year of the Superchargers. Instant power no need to wait for spool. I have talked to one shop that will be putting them on Pros. Price is the same as a nice turbo setup.
Cant wait for the videos to come out.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Just let you guys know that Turbos are last year, This winter 14/15 will be the year of the Superchargers. Instant power no need to wait for spool. I have talked to one shop that will be putting them on Pros. Price is the same as a nice turbo setup.

No offense, but I think if they were "this years" thing there would be a little more advertisement and marketing done. Anything can be in development stages, doesn't mean it's going to hit the market until builders are ready.

I personally seen. Supercharger on several sleds last year on Hay Days and haven't seen one on the snow yet. If they were that hot there would be multiple ppl posting rave reviews.

On that note, it's nice to see the sport pushing the limits and can't wait to see one.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Where can I find more info on this? Would like this as a option, but need info and prices.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Reliability of a turbo on Pro's has been great. I looked at the 910 kit and found a thread with issues and disappointments. I'm above 10K so the turbo really makes sense. But even at lower altitudes you have to be concerned with fuel. The only thing you really lose with the turbo is that slight lag off the line. It makes up quick for it though!

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I was a firm believer in the big bore idea, until I rode a MTNTK turbo pro. Honestly it has zero low end bog, and feels like a stocker, just alot more power. Now that the reliablity seems to be better on the 2 stroke turbos, it is a no brainer now. You dont need to run one of those expensive vipecs either, as they can repogram your ecu parameters with a programmer. No piggybacking fuel controllers.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
I was a firm believer in the big bore idea, until I rode a MTNTK turbo pro. Honestly it has zero low end bog, and feels like a stocker, just alot more power. Now that the reliablity seems to be better on the 2 stroke turbos, it is a no brainer now. You dont need to run one of those expensive vipecs either, as they can repogram your ecu parameters with a programmer. No piggybacking fuel controllers.

I actually want a piggyback. To much variation in height, temperature and oxygen levels to not beeing able to adjust.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
I actually want a piggyback. To much variation in height, temperature and oxygen levels to not beeing able to adjust.
That's the beauty of reflashing the factory computer. It does it all on its own. Just like the factory put the turbo there, it compensates for altitude, barometric pressure, temperature, and you don't even have to stop to dink with a controller.

Sent From God Knows Where...

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Ordered a new 2015 RMK Scandinavian Beast. Had Boondocker turbo on my last 2013 Assault, and was happy with it, one blown engine but after i did the RkTek and Wössner upgrade it held good, and made alot of power.

This year, im very interested in a RkTek 858 big bore kit, mostly because its cheaper, and you get more bottom end and no turbo lag.

I know im not going to get the same amount of power fron a bb than with a turbo, but would i feel happy with it, or is the difference between a stock and a bb not big enough, to be worth the cash? Or should i just go with a new turbo kit right away?

Theres alot of trash talk turbovs BB. So thought id stir it up Lol. Heres a full race 880 Doo with 3 x156 vs Turbo Pro. they both have there place however a BB if done right can be a absolute runner.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvlwVeNpFAk

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
That's the beauty of reflashing the factory computer. It does it all on its own. Just like the factory put the turbo there, it compensates for altitude, barometric pressure, temperature, and you don't even have to stop to dink with a controller.

Sent From God Knows Where...

Thats what nice about Boondocker turbo kit this year, comes with the Bully Dog, and a fuel controller :)
And i like to have extra injectors to keep the low clean, and be able to run high boost :)

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
not to be a dick but thats another VS vid that tell very little
those 880 do seem to run strong

hey glassman how much boost were you running on that MKTK turbo ?
thanks

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
not to be a dick but thats another VS vid that tell very little
those 880 do seem to run strong

hey glassman how much boost were you running on that MKTK turbo ?
thanks[/QUOTE

These particular units were only running 7 lbs boost. Pump gas, no inter-coolers and stock injectors. Not one of them opened their hoods all weekend and there was 4 of them. They are not big power beasts, simply built to run like we all want, lineal and smooth. Stock feeling at low rpm, and no dick..g around. They are offering bigger HP kits I understand, but I just want to pull up to the pumps and ride. Like stated above, the stock ECU is programmed, and it uses all the stock electronics to monitor what is happening for fueling, elevation, temps etc...

I have seen really good running NA big bores, and they definately will pull as hard as a turbo down in lower elevation, but in the high alpine the hat tips to the turbo. Dollars to cents, the turbo is making more sense.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Hmmm, let's see. Hero lets first sled go past him. First sleds goes off in fresh pow and does not know it's gonna be a race. D*ck helmet cam guy actually points and gestures the first guy to go off the side. Second sled not only poaches the first guys track, but rides a flat packed trail and then claims to catch up and beat other sled. I'll be the d*ck. That vid shows that you have no idea how much poaching a track and claiming victory makes you look like a d8ck. Erase that vid and line up side by side, new snow, new tracks. Now you can eat some crow.

Last edited:
Premium Features