• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to me 2010

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Few Q's on 2010 M8, new to me 950 miles.
I know there is a ton of discussion on this but hard to read it all!
Do not feel previous owner changed bearings, sled has a noticable whine, near drivers, sounds like track rubbing but not sure? Afraid to run it the way it sounds.

Also hand warmers not working....just like the old king cat, I can't win.

Any info / advice would be appreciated!
Thanks

B

Brutus

Nov 14, 2008
Helena MT
I would suggest opening up the dd and checking the fluid, inspect gears and bearings etc and change inner bearing to the double row from bdx. Put new fluid in and seal up. Take secondary clutch off and inspect rollers and helix bolts sometimes they can be cracked and or come loose. I would take it apart and clean it up and put it back together with new rollers and torsional setup, but no real need to go torsional if u don't want. Then check track alignment etc. I always check brake side as well. New pads may be in order. Order up some new hand warmers and install those things go out all the time. Use a little soapy water and compressed air on the grips to make the job easier. With 950 miles that sleds got a ton of life in it.

Enjoy
Bru

Last edited:

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Thanks. Loosened track a bit and adjusted alignment, thought that might be the cause of the whining sound up front. No luck there.
DD have to come all the way out to swap bearings and inspect? Not sure I have time brains and tools to tear into the thing!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Not hard to remove whole dd. if unsure about its history, remove it to change oil and do inspection.

Check track alignment and tension. There is very little clearance between sides of track and where it enters tunnel. I set it so there is equal clearance.

Inspect primary spider closely for cracks. Inspect primary spring to make sure not broken.

I would clean power valves at end of season for sure, if not sooner if u have the ambition. Easy to do.

B

Brutus

Nov 14, 2008
Helena MT
Don't need to pull the entire dd to change the bearings. Its been a few years since I've torn one apart but here's what I recall.... not a hard project but I could see it being intimidating first run. Pull the secondary off and then pull the dd cover. The oil will drip thru the hole in the side pan. Once drained, I like to tip the sled on its side about 45 degrees dd up so its all easier to see and work on. Pull the gear out. The bearing that usually causes trouble is on the other side of the gear shaft. Get the bearing or the bearing kit from bdx. The only special tool u may need is a bearing press. It will make quick work of it. Any shop in town should have one. I took the bearing and gear to a tranny shop and pressed it on in 15 seconds. If you want to inspect further pop out the snap ring and pull the planetary gear assembly. Check for chipped teeth also check the oil in the bottom and back cup of the dd for any bearing material... Usually the first thing u will see is a bearing cage or two from that inner bearing if there's trouble. Make sure to clean out the cup that bearing sits in. If all looks good just slide the planetary gears back in snap ring on, dump some of the new dd fluid into case slide in gear with new bearing and dump the rest of the fluid in. Before I put the outer case on, I run a small bead of copper rtv on there to seal it. Before u put the secondary back on, check the helix bolts helix and spring. Check belt alignment and deflection as well. Check you tube, there's some decent videos out there with dd servicing and repair in them for visual reference.

Order up some parts and get dirty! Enjoy

Bru

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Thanks, I need to find the time and confidence to go through the DD on my own as I do like the M sleds. Your description makes me think I could pull it off, maybe something I'll mess with to learn over the summer!

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Does the planetary gear come out as one piece after the snapring is removed or does it implode into a pile of gears. pins and who knows what else?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
No pile of gears. Easy job.

First time I did it I just removed the cover. The other two times I pulled the whole dd.

It is easier to separate the halves and reuse the gasket when whole dd is on bench. Also easier to start cover bolts without cross threading. I read where some guys replaced oem bolts with regular bolts cause the regular dont have the self tapping taper at the end and less likely to cross thread. Also would make removing the lower bolts easier, probably, because a few of them i used just a torx bit and a 1/4 wrench to turn the bit.

Also, I read where black diamond extreme recommended installing the wide 5203 bearing with the dd removed because the cover installation should be done with the unit out.

Thanks, I need to find the time and confidence to go through the DD on my own as I do like the M sleds. Your description makes me think I could pull it off, maybe something I'll mess with to learn over the summer!

I just picked up a 2009 M8 HCR and I'm the same way as you when it comes to wrenching but tired of having to pay others to do stuff.....we can handle this my man!:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-hap

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
The top thread "sticky" has some good info to read over so you know what your getting yourself into. Its all pretty straight forward.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Drain the oil in the drive and see what it looks like. At 950 miles, IF the DD was serviced regularly, you shouldn't see a problem since its a 2010. It has the updated bearings in the DD I'm pretty sure.

How does the bearing on the trackshaft look on the brake caliper side?

Premium Features