• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

13 Pro, considering boost...

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
So here's the deal. Bought my 13 pro brand new from Carl's. Ridden hard the last 1500 miles been a great sled. Carl's clutching, can, and a v/e bumper, otherwise my first stock sled. My riding partner is on a stock axys, but is going stage 2 slp for next year. I'd love to jump up to an axys but it's not in the cards right now. So, I'm thinking of how I can upgrade my 13 to keep up and perform. I got the chance to ride with some guys in valemont with a couple pump gas bd turbo pros. I was really impressed. But I only got about 10 mins seat time on one. Unfortunately I don't ride bc often and I'm usually in tight trees, gullies, clear cuts, etc here in eastern wa and north central Idaho. I'm asking the guys that have ridden this kind of terrain and have some seat time or seasons of time on pump gas boosted pro's. Is it worth it to boost my 13 or should I just save my money and go axys down the road? I have zero interest in a kit that won't run on pump gas. I've played the race gas/AV game before and it sucks. If I feel the need to up the boost at a later date then obviously better fuel is a requirement. Who has the better kit that will fit my needs? Do I buy a new kit or can used kits be setup to be reliable? Sorry for the long post but I want to make sure I'm doing my research...

Thanks for the help,
Himarker

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
I ride with a couple axys and a turbo pro will definately keep up. We prob ride similar terrain as you and my kit has minimal lag. One guy in the group has a big bore and I like the bottom end in the trees but on long pulls the turbo eventually walks away! My current silber external kit on my pro has been good to me. Had a bd on my 11' and it also ran well. As far as the race/av gas conversation goes... Every kit I've owned has been a pump gas turbo but I never had any desire to run straight pump gas. A lil race/av gas is pretty cheap insurance!!!! I have time to mix fuel but I don't have time for a rebuild while my buddies are out riding!!!!

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If your going to go boost and can't have a second sled. I would strongly consider selling your current sled and buying one complete. There are some exceptions to that of coarse.

The turbo Pro's are going for almost the same money as the sTockers. I am considering buying another just to have a back up.

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
You should pull top off your motor first. Do the head port and polish and then boost it. Silber makes great pump gas w easy installation all bolt on too. I ran my silber pump kit at 5 psi all year w out issue.

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Yes I would put a ported head on for sure w the miles and riding you have done also you will be able to insure your motor is even worth boosting while head is off. Your turbo pro will smash a stock axys, now a boosted axys is whole diff subject

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
What does that have to do w silber??? , polished head check motor internally ? Prob not a bad idea.... Make sense now? 13 pro that's been ridden hard w 1500 miles. Might be worth doing. Gee can't imagine why

Last edited:
N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
It's worth looking at your motor before you add boost and doing a few things to insure boost will even b good to add. Your choice if you don't but would suck to spend money to loose the motor. Good luck

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
And my bad I did say port head. Meant go w an aftermarket for added insurance over stock. Sorry mind was on diff motor problem

Last edited:
N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Just the billet dome even,w polished head.slp Carl's etc. They don't add much horsepower but deff are good security if you thinking of boosting at 1500 miles. I ran my axys to 3000 miles w out much other than basic repairs/up keep. I still pop the top to look at stuff round 1500 though if I have boost. Just good idea to do. And I never run straight pump even at 5lbs. 1-2 gal of race is just way cheaper insurance for me. I don't know just stuff I learned along the way. Others may do different but so far I haven't lost a motor except my old 97 rmk 700 lol

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I am not sure if I am not understanding you correctly or if you don't understand yourself but I do not want anyone getting misled or wrong info.

You can not just change the domes in your stock head, you would have to change the whole head in order to have domes that can be swapped out.

Just changing your heads is not going to make your engine last longer, actually if you increase compression you could do the opposite.

Now you could lower your compression with a head change which can help you out if needed but I have been running 5-12 pounds for 4 years now at sea level on straight 100av with zero issues.

I am still not sure what you mean by replacing the head and why you think it goes bad and/or could need replaced after 1500 miles???

After some miles you will definitely need new reeds before boosting, maybe a set of piston and rings and all new exhaust donuts and springs. Also double up all springs.

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Yes you would have to put a whole new head on with domes...I've always replaced my head at round 1500 miles w boost. It's just a good time to look and see how the cylinders are and all else while top is off. Although my axys that has 3000 miles and 7lbs I did t do nothing to. A lot of ppl I know pull head and replace through the sleds life.
As for AV and race fuel and mixing and all that every one has diff opinions on that. Some ppl claim AV is horrible others don't. I try to run 80-20 or 70-30 ish but how ever you do it. I've ran straight AV bc I had nothing else either. All I know I'm not willing to risk a sled over 91 octane

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
Holy confusion batman! Yes, at 1500 miles I know I'm obviously due for pistons/rings. It's getting that done whether it sees boost or not. Ive just been racking my brain trying to decide what to do to it to wake it up, I've looked at rk858, Carl's 900, fix/mod kits and boost. I haven't been on a big bore since my ubr 900 in an edge chassis. I was looking for user experiences, real world data from guys that run boost. Is it worthwhile and feasible to boost my pro or not? And if so, bd or silber? Worth it to keep an eye out for one of Shane's kits? Is there any kits to stay away from? And as far as selling my sled to buy another, not gonna happen for a bit, next sled will be an axys unless I fall upon some stupid deal. Let's get this back on track.

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Sorry I agree.back on track You could do a Carl's cycle kit. To freshen motor or bore. Personally I like boost but that's me. If you're not getting crazy in elevation big bore runs good. Maybe even do a refresh on motor and do slp higher stage kit like 3 or up. They rip decent too. Buddy has one on his 13 pro. Your motor might be in great shape too. Pop the top see how she looks and go from there... You will love boost! I've never gone back after having it. If not save the money run her till you're done and trick out a new axys in future?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Holy confusion batman! Yes, at 1500 miles I know I'm obviously due for pistons/rings. It's getting that done whether it sees boost or not. Ive just been racking my brain trying to decide what to do to it to wake it up, I've looked at rk858, Carl's 900, fix/mod kits and boost. I haven't been on a big bore since my ubr 900 in an edge chassis. I was looking for user experiences, real world data from guys that run boost. Is it worthwhile and feasible to boost my pro or not? And if so, bd or silber? Worth it to keep an eye out for one of Shane's kits? Is there any kits to stay away from? And as far as selling my sled to buy another, not gonna happen for a bit, next sled will be an axys unless I fall upon some stupid deal. Let's get this back on track.

HM Turbo kits for the Pro RMK will be hard to find. Most people don't want to give them up.

Premium Features