• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blown fuse?

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
So my headlight delete resistor self destructed and seems to have shorted out the electrical on my 13 PRO. I've read about the 2.5 amp fuse in these, where is it located? Hoping its that simple and it didn't take out my VR.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The one and only fuse in the system is not connected in any way to the headlight/warmer/charger circuit.

If you had a direct short... good chance you took out the lighting/heating/charging coil in the stator.

What year sled?

Does the sled run?

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
mtn fit resistor

Sled was running great went to fire it up (2013 Pro 800), fired once then quit. Not seeing any sign of life in gauge when I pull it. Opened hood and the Mtn fit resistor was in pieces, I'm assuming it shorted out something

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 98

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
...Stator test values.

Disconnect the stator connector and check the coil resistances.

attachment.php

Attachments

• stator.jpg
    stator.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 443
X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
For what its worth, I would find a better resistor setup next time. If thats what they provide, it can certainly be improved upon.

Good luck with the fix, MH has ya pointed in the right direction!

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Resistor

For what its worth, I would find a better resistor setup next time. If thats what they provide, it can certainly be improved upon.

Good luck with the fix, MH has ya pointed in the right direction!

Sometimes I feel my middle name is " Murphy" seems all the fix type products I try end up biting me in the behind. Going to look at light options to get away from the resistor. May just put headlight back on and be done with it.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Sometimes I feel my middle name is " Murphy....

Don't blame me! ?

Unfortunately, that resistor "fix" was really a poor execution. That was waiting to fail. Brittle ceramic resistor in high vibration, high shock, extreme temperature swing environment..... Not a good idea. Not blaming you, you simply bought a product that was marketed to "work".

Hopefully, your experience will help someone else to avoid the same.

Premium Features