• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why is Aerocharger not the no brainer turbo for sleds

E

Einar74

Oct 20, 2009
Iceland
I have been reading about Aerocharger( mostly on there website) and seeing videos.

From what I have seen and read. This looks like the perfect turbo system.

So way isn´t Aerocharger the #1 turbo for 99% of sledders?

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
I was wondering the same thing. They can't be as bad as Vertical-Extreme makes them out to be, the Ski-Doo race team uses them. I had one on a 2007 Summit never worked well but I don't believe it was due to the turbo.

E

Einar74

Oct 20, 2009
Iceland
The main reason, way I would think it is a good choice from looking at the basic info, is the throttle response seems great and good power at fairly low boost. So you can run pump fuel and still be happy with it. Also they are almost maintains free. No oil tank or pump, so it is less to the system so I guess it is lighter then conventional system

They seems to be popular on ski-doos so they seem to been doing something right.

But I am just asking a general question, because everybody say there stuff is the best. So I just wanted to get different opinions

From this video it looks impressive at 7 psi. I guess at 91 oct fuel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pOXtgdw67aY#

G
Apr 23, 2008
You guess to much friend.
They are on A FEW doo race sleds,not because they were chosen.

Back in the 80's they were the only ball bearing turbo in the game. Those days are over, Now that we can get better flowing, lighter wheeled lower inertia turbos for half the cost WHY would you NOT take advantage of that ?

No frail vanes to worry about getting destroyed by Rust from condensation in your pipe, or the occasional reed petal..!!

They do not make the power they claim.
They do not run cooler than a std ball bearing turbo
They do not flow what they claim in their maps

ask for there dyno tests..LOL

Too many have been left hanging when the turbo fails bearings , the end user get the blame and the huge bill

They are a nice toy, but if you want real power AND response go to garrett, precision, or Forced performance. 100;s of thousands of miles and turbos in use, no bragging or stories, just ALL the WORLD records in every turbo venue.

surround yourself with winners and you win. !!

Last edited:
E

Einar74

Oct 20, 2009
Iceland
I am just trying to get opinions on aerochargers turbos, that´s it. I don´t own a turbo sled and never have. Hopefully someday.

I am not saying that they are the better or anything. just trying to get more info about them and way they are not as good as they want us to believe.

I once talk to Rasmussen in a seminar in a group of people and asked him about the Aerocharger and he said, (if I remember right) that it where very hard to control boost with them. I didn´t get a change to go into any details. But as much as I respect him, he is sponsored by Boondocker and maybe his answer in a little bit colored be that. Also I have talk to Eric Woog that I respect greatly when it comes to anything regarding sleds. He basically said that Boondocker is the only way to go. Because they have the best controller. That was last winter, any maybe his opinion has changed after companies started using "standalones". But again he is in the Boondocker "inner circle" so again his answer maybe in the same league as Rasmussens.

But there must be a reason companies like CMX uses them. I would think they want to offer the best possible sled. There stuff cost more then $30.000

Last edited:

ACTM7

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2008
areo

I have run areo on two diff sleds run in there safe boost levels up to10 psi on my sled my rideing elv. They where pull an go all season but now this is where people have trouble boost is adictive you want more an more then you have trouble. I moveon to tial. But if building low boost pump gas sled I look at one again

Whimp

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2012
Laurel Montana
I can rebuild my garrett in my garage.... just slap a new center section in and away you go.... You have to have a degree to work on the aerochargers....lol

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Read the writing on the wall. There is a reason why Garrett turbos outsell aerochargers 50 to 1 when it comes to sled applications, And why companies like ovs stopped producing aero kits to only focus on Garrett kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerocharger_jerry

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
Einar74: We appreciate your interest! There's actually quite a few Aerochargers going to your part of the world this season. We currently offer turbo systems for the '12 and '13 Proclimb, and there will be several Aerocharged Cats on the snow in a few months at the Jackson Hole Hill Climb.

Gus Bohne: Merry Christmas buddy! Brad sends you his best.

Vertical-Extreme: OVS uses Comp turbos more than Garretts. Their market moved to M1000s with big bore kits and 18 psi boost, and the Aerocharger is not an appropriate turbo for that application.

In the past there were several independent kit builders who, in an effort to keep their costs down, were trying to run the smaller 53 Series Aerocharger on M8s at 10+ psi. For an M8 engine, the 53 Series was undersized for that amount of boost and that led to big problems for those guys. Improperly designed kits like those were a major factor in Aerocharger deciding to produce our own systems in-house.

Whimp: The Aerocharger is more advanced than standard turbos, and the extreme tolerances they are built to require them to be serviced at the factory as needed. That said, we see very few repairs coming from the systems we ship, and Aerocharger covers our systems with a 50% off service warranty for the first three years.

Whose Garrett kit are you running that needs to be rebuilt so much? The carbureted days are behind us - no matter which system you have, Aerocharger, Boondocker, OVS, Story, or others, the tuning should now be precise enough that you're not breaking engines and turbos like that.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I have been reading about Aerocharger( mostly on there website) and seeing videos.

From what I have seen and read. This looks like the perfect turbo system.

So way isn´t Aerocharger the #1 turbo for 99% of sledders?

1) COST!

When you can buy two ball bearing turbos for the cost of one Aerocharger, its reflected in the price of a kit.

2) Repair

They can be very expensive to repair, plus downtime compared to swapping out the center section and be back on the snow.

While the self contained system is nice, its not everything. IMO my 53 Aero didn't spool any faster than a conventional turbo!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
1) COST!

When you can buy two ball bearing turbos for the cost of one Aerocharger, its reflected in the price of a kit.

2) Repair

They can be very expensive to repair, plus downtime compared to swapping out the center section and be back on the snow.

While the self contained system is nice, its not everything. IMO my 53 Aero didn't spool any faster than a conventional turbo!

This is probably the main two reasons. You can buy 2 Garrett 2860's for what one aero charger costs. You can buy a third, or more, for what it costs to get it fixed. There is a reason why CPC, twisted, OVS, turbo Performance all stopped using them and went to the Garrett.

4nite

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 14, 2009
Wyoming
Been using an areo 66 on my 10 M8 for two years running 10lbs boost, ALL the time! Not one problem! Get good life from reeds and belts! If you need more boost ALL day long, All season long, maybe you should look elsewhere, this fits me, pull and go!

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
It just goes to back to the old sayin "if it sounds too good to be true it prolly is". The simple matter of fact is if they worked soooooooooo well everyone would use them, and not just in sleds but bikes, cars, trucks etc. some turbo manufactures can boast the fact they have millions and millions if not billions of miles on their stuff. Don't you think that the R&D team at garret has played around with this same concept? If it ain't broke don't fix it! Just basically trying to re-inevent the wheel.

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
Einar74: We appreciate your interest! There's actually quite a few Aerochargers going to your part of the world this season. We currently offer turbo systems for the '12 and '13 Proclimb, and there will be several Aerocharged Cats on the snow in a few months at the Jackson Hole Hill Climb.

Gus Bohne: Merry Christmas buddy! Brad sends you his best.

Vertical-Extreme: OVS uses Comp turbos more than Garretts. Their market moved to M1000s with big bore kits and 18 psi boost, and the Aerocharger is not an appropriate turbo for that application.

In the past there were several independent kit builders who, in an effort to keep their costs down, were trying to run the smaller 53 Series Aerocharger on M8s at 10+ psi. For an M8 engine, the 53 Series was undersized for that amount of boost and that led to big problems for those guys. Improperly designed kits like those were a major factor in Aerocharger deciding to produce our own systems in-house.

Whimp: The Aerocharger is more advanced than standard turbos, and the extreme tolerances they are built to require them to be serviced at the factory as needed. That said, we see very few repairs coming from the systems we ship, and Aerocharger covers our systems with a 50% off service warranty for the first three years.

Whose Garrett kit are you running that needs to be rebuilt so much? The carbureted days are behind us - no matter which system you have, Aerocharger, Boondocker, OVS, Story, or others, the tuning should now be precise enough that you're not breaking engines and turbos like that.
Off topic buy why is it we cannot buy a aerocharger alone to build a kit other than buying a whole kit is what i was told.

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
Due to the bad rep they got when their turbos didnt hold up in other builders kits.
Pss poor excuse they will have to change cause the oiless erra is coming looking at doing a custom kit and they can go get #@#$ they dont even have a kit yet for the cat 800 yet not ready yet and season is almost over.

Premium Features