• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gear down vs. 3" track dilemma

T

tbpatten33

Jul 18, 2011
So I picked up kurts gear down kit at the end of this year (haven't installed it yet) and I understand there is a different kit to run with the 3" track. My dilemma is do I just put it on my 15' and run it or do I sell it and get the right kit and go 3" track as well?

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
gearing

So what is the right kit and why won't it work. doo and cat run really low gearing and they work fine I dont see any reason why it wouldn't work

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I would bet it's because you have to go to the 7 tooth drivers on the 3" for clearance. Your gear down is in the drivers already.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
I would bet it's because you have to go to the 7 tooth drivers on the 3" for clearance. Your gear down is in the drivers already.

That's true but cat and doo have 2.6 and lower ratios my t-3 has seven tooth drivers and 2.42 ratio and it works great same setup that's also on optimus climb, I'm gonna run it on my pro with 7t drivers as well

T

tbpatten33

Jul 18, 2011
With what I've read guys say the gear down kit along with the 7 tooth 3" pitch drivers is way low. Could always try and it and then sell the gear down kit if it doesn't work well and get the other Kurt's came out with.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The geardown kit is 245b has a actual ratio of 2.41:1... with the 7 tooth, 3"-pitch drivers you will run... you will have a realized comparable ratio of 2.61:1

The 3071 kit at 2.31:1 actual ratio... comparable ratio of 2.51:1

See if Kurts will exchange it if new... probably expect a small re-stock fee.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
FWIW, you can't compare gearing directly across brands with different clutching - final gearing is also dependent on clutch upshift ratios (TRA's overdrive), sheave angle and slip, pulley diameters, and ramp/weight design.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Prior Lake, MN
Or you can sell the gear down kit and use that money to buy the TKI drive and you have a multitude of gearing options at that point. Plus you get all the other positives that come with the TKI like adjustable tension, cheaper belt, and the kit is easily removable and more than likely will work on an axys.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
The poo engineers who concocted the quickdrive need to put the egos on hold, or fire the accountant, and improve the design and execution, and not just longer lower bolts. Of course, this would obsolete some aftermarketeers who have come up with great alternatives - but - QD could be both better executed with virtually all issues eliminated, while offering gearing options. Put the brake on the driveshaft. I hoped they'd do this at the same time as offering the 3" - putting the same belt drive across the entire RMK, or even all Axys, lineup makes too much sense. Still could happen in 17. Wonder if cat or doo are interested in buying TKI, C3...

Last edited:
Premium Features