• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3,000 Mile Club

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Who's in?

3,000 or more miles on a Pro 800 without a major failure. Any and all work, mods, upgrades, witch-doctoring OK.

12' Pro 3100+ miles and nary a burble since new. Long-rodded at 2,300 (PAR kit). Diligently maintained since new.

P
Jun 29, 2008
Freeborn, MN
my '11 800 had 4100 miles on it when I bought it a year old from Bear Lodge as a rental. I put another 400 miles on it then cylinder skirt took the whole goddamnit out, replaced with a '13 motor and put on 500 miles then sold it to upgrade to a '13LE

Chad

O
Dec 6, 2007
Who's in?

3,000 or more miles on a Pro 800 without a major failure. Any and all work, mods, upgrades, witch-doctoring OK.

12' Pro 3100+ miles and nary a burble since new. Long-rodded at 2,300 (PAR kit). Diligently maintained since new.

So you really don't have 3000 miles on that motor. I don't see how a full rebuild at 2300 counts? It made it 2300 miles, you built it and now it has lived 800 miles.

I am all for long lived Pro motors, mine is just at 1000 miles in my '13. I would be stoked if it finished the season without a major failure much less 3000 miles. Mine will get new pistons this summer, maybe a head too. I have NO desire to see how long it lasts on its own. Maybe you get lucky but, I don't think 3000 miles on the Poo motor is realistic, not in the mountains anyway.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Fair point.

And I can honestly say my motor would not have made it to 3,000 left stock. As I said in another thread the primary gear, unbeknown to me, had 300-400 miles or so left before I lost it, and the oil and water pumps.

But...this is motor we all know should get a top end at around 1,800 miles, so maintenance and the associated replacement of parts matters in the longevity game.

I look at my sled like a high-maintenance girlfriend...she's hot and she'll put out...but she's expensive and demanding. And if I don't baby her, she'll blow up and leave me hangin'.

So far, I'm getting my money's worth.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I want a girl I can take home to mom.

F what your mom thinks, I'll take the hot naughty one that requires a little pampering... Have fun at your nice quiet dinner with your mom and your chubby ugly girl that's "reliable" and requires a little blue pill to ride.

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
How many hours do you have on yor sleds compared to your hours? My speedo doesn't work with the cmx belt drive and trying to get a approximate guess on what miles I have on my sled.

Thanks in advance

B
Oct 26, 2003
F what your mom thinks, I'll take the hot naughty one that requires a little pampering... Have fun at your nice quiet dinner with your mom and your chubby ugly girl that's "reliable" and requires a little blue pill to ride.

Beauty is only skin deep.

O
Dec 6, 2007
Fair point.

And I can honestly say my motor would not have made it to 3,000 left stock. As I said in another thread the primary gear, unbeknown to me, had 300-400 miles or so left before I lost it, and the oil and water pumps.

But...this is motor we all know should get a top end at around 1,800 miles, so maintenance and the associated replacement of parts matters in the longevity game.

I look at my sled like a high-maintenance girlfriend...she's hot and she'll put out...but she's expensive and demanding. And if I don't baby her, she'll blow up and leave me hangin'.

So far, I'm getting my money's worth.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I knew full well going in what I was getting and I am not even a little disappointed so far.

Better to let whiners like big baby buy something else and miss out on bangin that slut through the woods week in and week out. My buddies tease me when I give her a thorough go over before each weekends ride, quality time you know... She has yet to let me down.

If you are worried about the motor and supposedly flimsy chassis, buy the yamacat with a four stroke. Like I tried to explain to those guys, that sled is the equivalent of a fat chick... don't tell me you can't feel the extra wieght when you ride her either:face-icon-small-win

Nice to have choices. We made ours and I don't see hardly any with regret over it.

FYI, I think mine is at about 80 hours for 1000 miles

I
Feb 11, 2013
2012 Assault. Installed a Drop in Kit start of this season for peace of mind. 1700 miles stock. 3100 miles now. PCV, little clutch work and she runs like a good girl.:face-icon-small-win Lady in the street and a freak in the bed. :rose:

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
I just want to know one thing...at what point did it become acceptable for an engine to only live for 1500 miles? Guys talking about being stoked that their engine survived a thousand mile season, and they are putting new pistons in? Spending thousands of dollars to make it reliable? Long rods, taller pistons and cylinder spacers... Really? I remember when a beat on engine would still last 5K without any worry, my old fugi was wound up so tight it would almost fly to the moon and still made it 10 years or about 7000 miles before i rebuilt it cause it was just wore out. When did we become such pushovers that we now pay 3 times more for a sled that wont even run half as long? Maybe im just old school, but i just cant resolve myself to pay that kind of money for something the factory deems as disposable...

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I just want to know one thing...at what point did it become acceptable for an engine to only live for 1500 miles? Guys talking about being stoked that their engine survived a thousand mile season, and they are putting new pistons in? Spending thousands of dollars to make it reliable? Long rods, taller pistons and cylinder spacers... Really? I remember when a beat on engine would still last 5K without any worry, my old fugi was wound up so tight it would almost fly to the moon and still made it 10 years or about 7000 miles before i rebuilt it cause it was just wore out. When did we become such pushovers that we now pay 3 times more for a sled that wont even run half as long? Maybe im just old school, but i just cant resolve myself to pay that kind of money for something the factory deems as disposable...

Is it really a design flaw that is the reason some of these engines fail/need a top end in 1500 miles or is it the incredibly lean fuel and oil conditions they are forced to run?

Are any of the "fixes" you listed above actually more reliable? With the small number of people actually putting in these "fix kits" and the fact that we still see failures with them really makes me wonder...

Cat motor- By far the dirtiest and most reliable... I used to turn the oiler down on them. lol
Doo motor- Clean most of the time but uses Cat like fuel and oil amounts when really rode.

Just something to think about.

oldsno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2009
livin the dream

I rarely post but must chime in: I've ridden them all and am on third pro.......Love it nothing like it in the steep and deep. Deeper the better they really shine. Those high mile days referred to in an earlier post were
mostly trails... To each his own...It Is expensive what isn't:face-icon-small-hap

S
Nov 29, 2010
she's running strong

2014 assault SB 3200 miles! 50% off trail.one motor stock. Only maintenance chain case oil and exhaust valve cleaning. true believer in sea foam. Took away a blip two different days. thing has cleaned up against my dads and brothers renegade etec 800's. I dono how you get the 80 hours for 1000 miles I think I have like 70-75 hours at 3200. She's awful good looking, lets me ride as hard as I want and I can still show her off to mother and father.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho

Cat motor- By far the dirtiest and most reliable..

Keep an eye out for a thread from me about this... Will be a build soon involving a cat engine and an IQ chassis. Would go with a pro, but can't find a roller around here yet... Still to many under warranty.

dttrusko

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2010
Trimountain, MI
My PTO end bearing went at 3600 off-trail miles on my 11' pro.. 276 hours on it checked with digital wrench. Even if a good majority of that was at idle, it's not unrealistic to have 8000+ trail miles with that many hours on a sled.

Premium Features