• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche in Mancos Area

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
It appears I am I the wrong place for that discussion. .

Exactly,
Why don't you pipe-down or start a different thread that includes the official info when it's released and we can all learn from that rather than your arm-chair quarterbacking in a thread that seems clear to pretty much everyone except you that wasn't intended for it. We all know threads drift, but it seems obvious to most you just keep prodding inappropriately. I suspect we all want to learn from this but you are just coming off like a heartless azz here, so please stop.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Have some ****ing respect and STFU. You've made your point, and it has been noted. As was said before, if you are interested in educating all of us careless idiots, start a new thread. You are lucky that nobody has come shut you up in person yet. If I was related, or even was friends with the guy who lost his life in this event, I would be seriously offended and pissed off at you right now. Regardless of what you THINK you know about the circumstances, you WEREN'T there, and have no basis to make a good number of the assertions you have. I'm not saying things leading to this event were done right, or with proper assessment and approach, but I'm not saying they weren't either. Because I wasn't there. So seriously, get off this thread with your bull**** claims, and arrogant posturing.
Seriously Moderators, you are going to let this guy continue!! I'm sure I will get flamed for my language (go ahead), yet this ******* insults a guy who has just been killed in an avalanche (and his buddies, searchers, family), and it is OK? Take a look at any post this *** clown has made (back when he was OuraySledder or whatever the last screen name was too). All it is is "I ride better/tougher terrain, I know where better snow is, I've been sledding longer than you, etc" So far I have yet to see anything that makes him a benefit to the forum, or to the sport.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Well Sam, the thread title is "Avalanche in the Mancos area" not " condolences to the family" for staters.

I am Looking for a discussion in an avy thread about how people can avoid this in the future, not a thread full of denial of the facts. Looks to me like those wanting to avoid the discussion are the ones lacking compassion. Let us stop these tragedies by airing the mistakes made. It would be best to do this while the facts are fresh.

It appears I am I the wrong place for that discussion. You guys would clearly rather deny the facts and allow others to follow in these fatal sled tracks.

Ouray, it is your METHOD of discussing the events, not the events themselves that are causing members to harbor ill will regarding your posts. Judgmental and pious vocabulary rarely initiates a healthy debate. Blaming the group for the death of an individual, because of their ignorance, which is basically what you have done, in no way promotes an unbiased or neutral line of communication. Using prejudice in stating "you guys would clearly rather deny the facts and allow others to follow in these fatal tracks" comment?? Where did this fabrication of verbiage come from. Not ONE member here has refuted the fact that avy awareness is extremely important. Of course one deems the education of avy awareness important, and the more facts that can substantiate a reduction in fatalities is of the utmost importance. Interestingly you seem to have the resounding ability to cause discourse with many threads on SnoWest. I'm sure you mean no harm, and truly have the best intentions at hand, especially this thread. Just an observation.

in response to your opening line, Avy in Mancos, not a condolence thread. Do you really have no insight into the reasoning behind the thread? I don't think it was to persecute those involved, or open a discussion to place blame. To garner information? Sure, just not turn it into a quagmire of tension and judgment. Maybe I read it wrong. Could be. Been wrong before.

Sam

Last edited:
M

m8braaaap

Banned
Dec 3, 2012
mancos colorado
Oh we are all wrong apparantley!!!! Ouray is a heartless jackazz looking to stir up a fight where ever he can! Looks like ya got yourself a fight now!! I'm friends with those involved in this tragedy and let me be the first to say, you didn't make any friends in mancos pal.

M

m8braaaap

Banned
Dec 3, 2012
mancos colorado
And i too can't believe moderators let him go on!! I say a potty word and get an infraction though!!!! BS if ya ask me!!! Ill just say it publicly!! Ouraysledder is a disgrace to our sport and humanity!!!

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
OuraySledder

OuraySledder, I have read this entire thread, as everyone else has done.

Everyone on here is sorry for what has taken place which caused this thread
to be started in the first place.

But for you OuraySledder, You are the type of person that has to have the
last word on any subject. You are a Know it All. If i say the sky is dark, you
will tell me otherwise. So once again If my statement is true you will have the
last word on my post.

You are a disgrace to this sport. And You Know That Too ! RickM

M

mt.aero

Nov 14, 2011
Steamboat
Certainly Ouray can phrase things better, but there is a point to his posts that can't be overlooked and if it can't be talked about in a forum post on the exact subject, then I have to ask what the point of the thread is in the first place? Really, it's not that we shouldn't talk about it, the problem here is it's not being done with humility and respect.... and this goes for multiple members... not just Ouray.

This stuff sucks, I mean really sucks, but it is real. This can happen to any of us that travel in avy terrain. We have to be able to have a discussion (whether its here or with our riding group) and learn a thing or two from what transpired and apply that to our own safe avy terrain travel. I don't mean speculation, but real hard facts. CAIC doesn't conduct investigations for entertainment or shock value, it's for educational purposes. Reading final reports of experienced backcountry travelers helps me see the same flaws in my own travels and correct those mistakes that I (and my group) make. We don't just take an avy class and its done, rather, its just the beginning of our education. And as sad as it is, we can all learn something from what happened here. We owe it to our fallen fellow riders (not to mention, our family, friends and each other) to up our game.

I'll leave the details up to the investigators and until they release them, I think this thread needs to chill out.

BTW, it must be said that my thoughts and prayers are with Rob's family and friends and everything I type is meant with due respect.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Certainly Ouray can phrase things better, but there is a point to his posts that can't be overlooked and if it can't be talked about in a forum post on the exact subject, then I have to ask what the point of the thread is in the first place? Really, it's not that we shouldn't talk about it, the problem here is it's not being done with humility and respect.... and this goes for multiple members... not just Ouray.

This stuff sucks, I mean really sucks, but it is real. This can happen to any of us that travel in avy terrain. We have to be able to have a discussion (whether its here or with our riding group) and learn a thing or two from what transpired and apply that to our own safe avy terrain travel. I don't mean speculation, but real hard facts. CAIC doesn't conduct investigations for entertainment or shock value, it's for educational purposes. Reading final reports of experienced backcountry travelers helps me see the same flaws in my own travels and correct those mistakes that I (and my group) make. We don't just take an avy class and its done, rather, its just the beginning of our education. And as sad as it is, we can all learn something from what happened here. We owe it to our fallen fellow riders (not to mention, our family, friends and each other) to up our game.

I'll leave the details up to the investigators and until they release them, I think this thread needs to chill out.

BTW, it must be said that my thoughts and prayers are with Rob's family and friends and everything I type is meant with due respect.

See, Ouray, it is possible to type a post that does not cause controversy. Mt. Aero, well put. Unfortunately Ouray seems to "corrupt" many threads which is becoming more and more frequent. I, do not believe that his tactics in this thread were respectable in any way shape or form. Not condoning my rebuttal as it was somewhat defamatory, but the posts speak for themselves.

Sam

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I agree completely, this is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. Sledders need to be more aware, better informed, and better educated. This is why I do everything I can to keep myself and my riding buddies out of avalanche situations, including proper gear, proper planning rescue equipment and training. However, this thread is informative of the particular situation, and the gravity of the possible outcome. This is not a avalanche safety training thread. If anyone wants to post one, I am more than interested in reading and contributing to it. However, this is not a thread to criticize what has already happened, Especially in the manner in which it was done. Have some respect for this fellow sledder and his family. If you want to do a case study on the cause and what could have been done differently, wait a bit out of respect, and maybe include several incidents so as to give better examples and not focus on portraying this individual as being deserving of this fate. Maybe also get some first hand knowledge before spouting off accusations and making your theories (from looking at a picture and preliminary report) into "fact".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
I agree completely, this is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. Sledders need to be more aware, better informed, and better educated. This is why I do everything I can to keep myself and my riding buddies out of avalanche situations, including proper gear, proper planning rescue equipment and training. However, this thread is informative of the particular situation, and the gravity of the possible outcome. This is not a avalanche safety training thread. If anyone wants to post one, I am more than interested in reading and contributing to it. However, this is not a thread to criticize what has already happened, Especially in the manner in which it was done. Have some respect for this fellow sledder and his family. If you want to do a case study on the cause and what could have been done differently, wait a bit out of respect, and maybe include several incidents so as to give better examples and not focus on portraying this individual as being deserving of this fate. Maybe also get some first hand knowledge before spouting off accusations and making your theories (from looking at a picture and preliminary report) into "fact".

Absolutely spot on. Nothing more needs said. Thank you very much.

J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
I don't believe they have found him yet. From what I've heard he is buried very deep. I feel horrible for his friends and family that they couldn't/can't recover his body to start giving them some closure.

J

JDUB39

Dec 4, 2012
Broomfield, CO
Latest update from the sheriff:

The Sheriff has been working hard to get another search organized to bring Rob Yates home after falling victim to an avalanche on 3/5/2015. After two days the search had to be called off due to extreme avalanche conditions. The Sheriff is working with experts on Avalanches and is preparing to have another evaluation of conditions to see if search crews can begin searching for Rob. Due to the extreme mountain terrain, helicopters must be utilized to ferry searchers into the remote area.
The Yates family and the Sheriff are in contact on a daily basis. The Yates' continue to thank the community for their tremendous support and generous donations at a fund raiser on 3/15

T

TheHardWay

Jan 2, 2011
Hesperus, CO
The Sheriff's efforts are laughable at best, and I'll just leave it at that. We were at the slide on Wednesday to survey the site. For the most part any lingering avalanche danger has already slid. Let us get in there and find our buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
Has the deceased been recovered yet? Haven't seen any updates in the Durango Herald or on the CAIC report. Figure with the temps in the 60's and 70's the last couple of weeks that a lot has been melted off. Probably can't even get back there anymore on a snowmobile I would think. Anybody have any info??

O
Dec 6, 2007
I am sure it will make the news when they complete the recovery. The estimate was 50-60 feet of packed snow in the bottom of the draw. That wont melt out until June or July.

I would be surprised if some of his buddies havent been up looking already....

Snowpack on the north end of the San Juans has been stable with lots of new snow over the last month. No drop in snow level yet, even with the warm days.

Premium Features