• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative Impact 36" forward a arm kit

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Just as an observation question and comparative nature; What is the anticipated outcome of Cats new "almost released" spindle that is clearly set back further from the stock position?

If moving the spindles forward has drastically improved the handling characteristics, why has cat set there newly designed ones back? What drawbacks should be or what advantages may there be.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The new stock front end is not pulled back. The top of the spindle is further back, but the bottom of the spindle is in the same position. They were going after better steering more than better balance. The new front end will be really good and just narrowing things up will help a bunch. By moving the ski mount position forward like the ALT and the Skinz setup do, you are changing the handling characteristic of the sled as well as narrowing it up and have the best of both worlds. The new stock front end is a great upgrade, but the forward mount front ends will still be superior in handling and in turning back "up" the hill from what I have gathered.

Last edited:
S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Not to annoy you Eric but have you gotten any riding in decent snow with the ALT arms and the raptors. The ground clearance is a little higher with the 17" raptor but how does it handle? Couldn't a guy just lower the preload a tiny on the raptors letting the height sink down a bit an add a couple clicks compression to kinda compromise? Love to here your ride report on these! Talking to Dan an looking to call him with shipping info in the next couple days.

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Ummmmm..... No snow down there!??? I dunno, don't have a clue haha. We're on a real dry spout right now too in Revy but December an January had some pretty decent pow days! Soooooo....... No ride review?? Haha

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I have ridden it in some powder and in a lot of hard pack spring type conditions. I am very impressed and happy with it. Ill have a full report in a bit. I just don't want to jump to conclusions or give incorrect information because people rely on us for honest input and products.

I have ONLY ridden it with 17" Raptors. The ride height is about 1.75" inches higher at the nose. Usually with increased ride height you get too much ski pressure and poor handling. I am not seeing any of that with the 17" shocks. I don't want to say this is way to go just yet, because I need to ride it with the 16.675" shocks that it was designed to work with. I just got a set of Evols done today that are 16.675" and Ill be installing them tonight and riding tomorrow night and over the weekend. Once I do that I can let everybody know. I just don't want to say "this is awesome and the only way to go!" when I have not tried all the options. If the 16.675" shock is the way to go and the best option, then I think we need to disclose that and shoot that direction. If it isn't much, or any better, then we can all run stock shocks and be fine.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Im heading to the East coast of Canada on Friday. 10ft out there. Send me a set overnight and I will get you guys a review:eyebrows:

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Are our standard 38" kits racked forward like these new 36"s? Will you offer a 38" forward if they are not?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Standard width a arms are stock position at this time.

Only the narrow set come in the forward position.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
I'm not sure that I'm a fan of the skinny front end, as I have a lot of crappy road riding to get to the good snow. I would however, like to lose some weight off the front end & improve the handling, especially in the downhill/uphill transitions. Would just moving the spindles forward still be a huge improvement in handling? I think the stock shocks would also fit better with stock arm width. Any opinions on this & what would the weight loss be? I've seen increased turning radius mentioned, what is this referring to? Turning radius of the sled or turning radius of the skis? I can't stand the way the M sleds turned, turn the bars all the way & the skis move 2 inches. I like the PC much better, turn the bars & the skis stay more in line with the bars.

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
If you read his post above he did run 17" raptors and didn't find anything wrong with it. Maybe not perfect. I'm ordering a set an running 17" raptors. Sure hope this retarded weather in Revy stops so we can get rid of the cement and try em out in some POW.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I ran the sled tonight with the proper length shocks on it. 16.675" Fox Float 3 Evols. I had been running it previously with 17" Raptors.

Here is the lowdown. Both are better than stock.

Most of the time if you increase the ride height you add a bunch of ski pressure and make the sled handle crappy. I had a lot of guys trying to run the 17.5" shocks on the 38" front ends and we found that it just flat did not work.

On this front end you can use the 17" stock shocks and have an improvement. It side-hills easier, pulls over easier, and turns back up the hill easier.

The 16.675" shocks drops it back to the stock ride height and it is even better.

I would not say that you are going wrong by using the 17" shock. I just don't think you are getting the full value out of the front end by doing so. I had about 8 inches of fresh tonight, that I did not have the last couple test rides so it is hard to say, but typically an increased ride height sled will also tend to trench more because of the increased pressure on the front of the rail area as well as the skis. I can tell you with the 16.675 shocks it popped up nicely. It also seems to be easier to maintain a side-hill on a rough hill when you are smashing through cross tracks. The 17" shocks give you more grief.

In order to combat this with the 17" shocks you will have to lower the amount of preload on the spring or the amount of air in the float. This will drop the shock and you will have more sag. It will ride further down in the stroke than it was designed to ride and you will give up performance in the shock as well.

So in the end, for best results us the 16.675 shock (we can cut yours down and are working on a solution for the spherical on top and bottom.....or we have Evol 3 shocks in stock ready to go with sphericals already in them top and bottom), but the stock shock will afford you a much better boondocking sled than you currently have. It will turn sharper. It will turn back up hill better. And it will hold the sidehill better.

feb271.jpg feb272.jpg feb273.jpg

bugglin_bull

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2009
What is the Cost of both options cutting down the stock shocks or the Evol 3??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I will have pricing Monday or Tuesday. Working out the details over the weekend on all options.

bugglin_bull

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2009
Ok sounds good...please pm me the details as I am interested in one of the two options. Thanks for the quick reply!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Be sure and call in if you have committed to a kit. Sometimes contact information gets lost between my phone and office computer. If you have contacted me with shipping and payment info your on the list for the first run. Just don't want to miss anybody as the season is closing in. Thank you.
Dan

Premium Features