• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reinstalling the Skid Frame

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
So I had my skid frame out to have the shocks rebuilt, replace a broken weld on an arm, replace the rails with the front shock mount had screwed up, and repaint the other suspension components so that it looks pretty again :)

Long story short, due to a cluster **** getting my shocks rebuilt and spacers put in the front (I mailed 6 shocks and received 5 back and had to buy two new shocks since I couldn't get just one for less than 2 ) I'm not confident that the guy who put the spacers in the front shocks (of which one went missing) didn't put the spacer in the rear shock I sent out too.

So here are my questions:

1) I've got the skid partially in, but I forgot to grind the rivets (drilled the two new holes already). I've noticed that the front bolt holes are like 4 inches in front of their holes at the moment. I'm used to skids being a pain in the *** to install though, so this itself isn't alarming. Should I be alarmed? Is there a hint to install the skid easily (for example, removing the springs? Wait a minute...the shocks are air shocks... :p)

2) What is the center to center distance of the rear shock in the skid frame?

Thanks,
Izzni

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
When I remove the skid I let the air out of the rear float first. Then when installing the skid I put the rear arm bolts in first then i can move the skid around easily to line the front bolts up.

Your rear scissor is likely causing your miss alignment.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Yeah, I just needed to lift the back of the sled off the ground. Do that and with only relatively minor hanking you can get the front bolts in :)

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I have found that the easiest way to install a rear skid by myself is to lay out a clean cover and roll the sled over onto its side (protected from the floor by the cover). Set the front arm into place and bolt it in, roll the sled over to the other side and put the other front arm bolt in (not tight). Then get a prybar with a rag on it so you don't scratch things up and put the rear pivot bolts into place. For some reason it is significantly easier to install this way.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I have found that the easiest way to install a rear skid by myself is to lay out a clean cover and roll the sled over onto its side (protected from the floor by the cover). Set the front arm into place and bolt it in, roll the sled over to the other side and put the other front arm bolt in (not tight). Then get a prybar with a rag on it so you don't scratch things up and put the rear pivot bolts into place. For some reason it is significantly easier to install this way.

I'll race you! Pull and reinstall skid. If i win i get a 3" CE for cost. You win you get two wraps for cost. Lol :face-icon-small-ton

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
I'd pay to see that race!!!!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
I switch tracks between mountain riding and going up north and I switched my track 5 times last year on my 2012 High Country. I have a chain around my rafter in my garage and I lift the rear of the sled off the ground and hang it by a cam buckle tie down strap so I can easily adjust the height. Once you get the front bolts in, the rear bolts line up VERY easily on these sleds. There's some movement in the suspension and I've been able to easily pull it into place with my hands.

Premium Features