• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M1000 MDS weights but lacks initial torque

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
2009 M1000 SLP pipe 162 2.6 85 duro 3000 to 7000k i put MDS weights in and it lacks initial torque until engine finally gets going then its great. It just wont spin up fast enough when I hit the throttle its kinda doggy and will barely spin the track then it picks up and pulls 7700. I've got 87 grams total and moved weight from tip to first hole and its better but im getting tired of messing with this its taken the fun out of ridding this sled. If i was to sit at the bottom of a hill my M8 would zip right up it and this 1000 would need a 10 foot run if that gives you any idea. I tried a spring with more starting force to see if that helped and it didn't. I've emailed and been trying that but really theres not a tried and true set-up for these weights so I can just install them and enjoy the ride?
If anyone can help me figure these weights out so this sled will get out of its own way that would be great.
I was told to take the washer out behind the big bolt in the heel by MDS but like I said isn't there a good setup that works?

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Your problem isn't the weights then, maybe clutching but with other mods I would look at tuning.

How many miles on your secondary, primary.

What spring are you running.

Mine worked great once I got enough motor mounts in to hold it steady, but mine was to rpm not lower. Ran a polaris 120-340 black/green, also had to rebuild secondary and true up shaft and bushings.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The m8 would almost always jump out of the hole, lighter less power. But the 1000 would spin like a made man of you didn't work the throttle.

Give miles and any other mod

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
One thing Steve said was it might be getting too much fuel to begin with. I have the Power Commander from SLP on it so not sure if I can do much there? He also said to drop a washer off the large weight bolt to give it more rippy feel and I'm going to try that. I put in the polaris BLK/GRN primary its the titanium version this last ride. The sled has 1900 miles all clutches were stock when i got it. I've swapped the secondaries between the 2 sleds and right now its got the one from my M8 on it with the 40/36 helix and it helped it VS. The stock 36 helix. Rollers in both secondary and primary are good. I put on the Linderman mount also. My friend has a 1000 and he rode it and said it seems pretty good maybe im just used to the M8 gearing and how snappy it is? Once i get it spun up and it gets on the pipe it pulls really nice but its just a bit lazy out of the hole.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Mine would hit just as hard as an 8 but take longer to hook up die to more power. Might be wise to check our just replace the reed s.
All the stock secondaries I had caused problems with mds weights, once I got them back from bdx they work way better. But my issues where high rpm so I'm leaning toward reeds or fuel tuning.
Change plus, put new 46 belt on, clean and adjust power valves,

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Mine would hit just as hard as an 8 but take longer to hook up die to more power. Might be wise to check our just replace the reed s.
All the stock secondaries I had caused problems with mds weights, once I got them back from bdx they work way better. But my issues where high rpm so I'm leaning toward reeds or fuel tuning.
Change plus, put new 46 belt on, clean and adjust power valves,

Ok thank you. Looks I've got some work to do.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My M1000 with the MDS weights always pulled hard off the bottom. The engagement was a bit harder than what I liked, even with the recommended spring Racinstation sent me. Was going to try something different, but never got the chance before I was done riding it. I also had to shim my spider to get the right belt to sheave clearance. How much clearance do you have?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
My M1000 with the MDS weights always pulled hard off the bottom. The engagement was a bit harder than what I liked, even with the recommended spring Racinstation sent me. Was going to try something different, but never got the chance before I was done riding it. I also had to shim my spider to get the right belt to sheave clearance. How much clearance do you have?

That's why I run the sw 120-310 with some glide washers, never had to shim in any I've dealt with

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My invoice when I bought the weights and spring said H5 120/XXX. I just looked and it should have been a blue/white color if it was a Speedwerx H5 120/310. The one I got was maroon colored. I wonder if I had the wrong spring the whole time then. Just never questioned it. The only spring color that is close for the H5s is red, which is a 155/300. Makes sense why my engagement was a little abrupt.

With my stock primary, the MDS weights were pushing on the rollers right away and had zero clearance to the belt. Was really grabby and left rubber on the bottom of the clutch sheaves. Shimmed it out to .020 clearance and was fine. Rollers were "just" touching the weights at that point instead of having pressure on them. Didn't have the issue with the stock weight profile. Maybe I had a weird clutch.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Well last weekend I pulled about a gram of weight out of the weights like Steve at MDS had said and realized the belt deflection was way out. With the two adjustments it's pulling nice and strong. Running about 86.4 grams seems to be a good setup for my area. With the 2.6 Power Claw track this sled is an animal. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Mark

Premium Features